Is canvas being discontinued??

preciousl

Dec 25, 2012
London
I think LV is definitely phasing out their canvas pieces. I visited the LV store in London and the SA told me they only had one Siena PM in stock in the whole country! It's been on my wishlist for years so I decided to buy it there and then. He confirmed that the Toiletry 26 is no longer available. I also had a browse on the LV website and the slgs are not available/not in stock like the pochette accessories and mini pochette. It's crazy, as I prefer the canvas pieces than leather.

stk

Oct 17, 2018
I have been eyeing the speedy bandouliere 30 in monogram for quite a while. A few weeks ago, I called my nearest LV store and the SA there said she couldn't order anymore canvas bags and LV was phasing our canvas bag as well. I was super bummed.

So just now, TODAY, I happen to call LV client service just to inquire about the bag. She said they have a few speedy bandouliere 30 coming in and I can go ahead and order one and have it overnight shipped once it's released! super excited, I did so. Can't wait to receive my new LV bag!!!

Dec 17, 2010
I don't think they are phasing it out, but rather making it harder to acquire and kinda forcing buyers to get personalization which is more expensive. Many people who want the classic monogram bags (mini pochette, NF, Speedy, Speedy b, and etc.) end up giving up and going with my heritage.

Also the TP 26 was just discontinued and there is a my world tour version coming out soon! I wouldn't be surprised if in the future that's the only way to get the classic bags (my heritage or my world tour).

Missydora

Jan 3, 2014
If it's true I can only think it would be to protect the brand's luxury status. A bit like how Rolex operate. Having to buy other more expensive models in order to be offered any of their more desirable but not particularly expensive sports steel model like Submariner, Batman, Daytona's. Not entirely a bad thing but it is for those who are wanting the monogram canvas bags. And not really wanting to buy leathers or other items in orders to get up the list to be offered a canvas bag. What I have noticed is the price of preloved mono canvas bags have gone up by loads in the last few months. Now the margin between old and new is only a couple of hundred pounds. And some of the mono bags for sale are quite old. I was shocked to see a preloved toiletry pouch 26 no receipts for £625.

Reactions: Loriad

Jaxholt15

Apr 17, 2015
I think some of the issue would be the fact that inventory is down eveywhere for most everything. The canvas bags are in higher demand for many reasons, durability, price point. The canvas bags are a huge part of the LV brand, I highly doubt that they would want to phase them out.

Tigerlily1

Jun 22, 2020
I think some of the issue would be the fact that inventory is down eveywhere for most everything. The canvas bags are in higher demand for many reasons, durability, price point. The canvas bags are a huge part of the LV brand, I highly doubt that they would want to phase them out.
I agree, can’t imagine LV would phase out canvas.

Also given that more and more luxury brands are recognizing the demand for sustainable leather alternatives; with even traditionally leather focused brands like Hermes introducing vegan leather options shortly.
LV seems way ahead of the curve with their canvas products and customer base.
It would be much easier for them to transition to offering non-leather bag options, should the market move in that direction in the years to come.

brnicutie

O.G.
Apr 9, 2008
Honolulu, HI
Apologies if this has been discussed before.

I went to my local boutique looking for a Pochette Métis in classic monogram and the SA mentioned that they didn’t have any classic monogram in store and were moving away from it. Is this true?
LV wants to focus more on their leather pieces. They'll still have mono, just in limited supplies.

BULL

Apr 19, 2015
Honestly this is appalling that they allow them to say sh*t like that. What a consistent brand communication...
And if I think about it, which one is better as a brand? Being the king of canvas, or being a mediocre player in leather?
And the funny thing is that the margin is worse on leather for them.

BnB

Dec 3, 2020
You hear something different depending on who you talk to, which is maddening. Never sure what to believe.
Seriously! I feel like they pull things out of their a*s sometimes. It was just quite shocking. To go into the boutique and be told they only had 1 bag in classic monogram.

Reactions: Aliluvlv