Is 16 years old to young for a Birkin?

oh it's so so good. the size is too convenient, isn't it? and they really feature and include a lot of familiar labels/designers, they just style it with a very playful twist. but certainly sophisticated fashions are on every page, they just make an effort to include a pair of american apparel socks or an a.p.c. dress so that something is under $300 on the page. lol i frequently have to skip the articles, but the pics, shopping and beauty coverage are great.
and by the way, if teenagers are reading that, no wonder they know about, aspire to hermes.

i've definetely noticed that they don't want to stick pricetags in there over a certain amount. I've never seen anything readily listed that was over $400/$500 maximum. If an item is over that amount they don't list the price and make you work to find it in the back of the magazine. This makes sense as many teens cannot fathom getting that amout of money together to buy single items of clothing with.

Hi there! Did you have a great time in Miami? Did you get some goodies? I don't think anybody here is judging anyone else. We are merely giving our opinions....

I have certain values that I want to pass on to my DDs and those include NOT buying them Birkins at the age of 16. However, as you say, it's up to parents to decide what and when to buy their children things.:heart:

Hey Rose, How r u? Yes thanks I had an AMAZING time in Miami, It was Fabulous, I shopped till I dropped lol! We also did some other parts of the U.S and it was amazing to experience all the different cultures, I loved every single minute of the Holiday! I can't believe you remembered.

I totally agree and everyone has different morals, values and opinions, but I didn't say I was getting a birkin at 16, my mum has mentioned it to me and we have discussed and I guess it would probably be for my 18th birthday or a milestone similar to that so to speak. And I know If I did get it it would be the only purchase off them for a long time. So I would truly appreciate it!
xxxRosexxx

Hey Rose, How r u? Yes thanks I had an AMAZING time in Miami, It was Fabulous, I shopped till I dropped lol! We also did some other parts of the U.S and it was amazing to experience all the different cultures, I loved every single minute of the Holiday! I can't believe you remembered.

I totally agree and everyone has different morals, values and opinions, but I didn't say I was getting a birkin at 16, my mum has mentioned it to me and we have discussed and I guess it would probably be for my 18th birthday or a milestone similar to that so to speak. And I know If I did get it it would be the only purchase off them for a long time. So I would truly appreciate it!
xxxRosexxx

You and your Mom should head over to NJ sometime.... :heart:

i've definetely noticed that they don't want to stick pricetags in there over a certain amount. I've never seen anything readily listed that was over $400/$500 maximum. If an item is over that amount they don't list the price and make you work to find it in the back of the magazine. This makes sense as many teens cannot fathom getting that amout of money together to buy single items of clothing with.

oh you're good to notice that. points for you. :yes:
i was aware of it too. :rolleyes:

grown-up vogue always uses hermes to illustrate a great bag for a 40yo, but then teenvogue does play up the lux-for-little-ones angle, which they have to do to be relevant, since the olsen twins and such happily display such items to their adoring fans.

oh no no no no no. I'm 20 and feel that I'm too young to carry a Birkin. I think it's the fact that I'm a student that makes me feel this way. I have 0 income and would feel so guilty if my parents bought something that huge for me. And my parents make good money and I make top grades at a top school. I think I'd probably roll my eyes and laugh if I saw a 16-year-old with a Birkin. She would just be screaming "I'm spoiled" to the world. Plus if you're 16, you should be studying so you can afford these handbags later!
Hehe I sound like such a cranky old lady. Sorry about that.

:flowers: :P I guess it's all a matter of personal opinion and what the circumstances are...myself, no, I would not have wanted a Birkin...all I wanted was my backpack & my surfboard (money for gas would have helped since I live in FL & we would have to drive over an hour to catch a small swell!:lol: )

My mom always wanted me to be a 'girly girl', but she ended up with a bit of a Tomboy!! Oh was she crazed!!:roflmfao: :roflmfao:

Now, (29 yo) I have merged all aspects...the Birkin, the surfboard & the Birkin!!! LOL! BUT, my DH did buy her for me & it was really special...he also bought me my horse!

SO...I guess we will say...to each is own! Life isn't black and white or cut and dry!:lol: I guess I don't really have an opinion about it except that I just think everyone's life, no matter how, why, what or what-not-whos-its, everything is relative!!!

SO...now I'm a girl on a horse with a birkin!!!!:roflmfao: Sorry, I am just cracking myself up here!

My DH is wondering what the hell I'm laughing at....sorry guys, long day, delirious!!!!

K~

:flowers: :P I guess it's all a matter of personal opinion and what the circumstances are...myself, no, I would not have wanted a Birkin...all I wanted was my backpack & my surfboard (money for gas would have helped since I live in FL & we would have to drive over an hour to catch a small swell!:lol: )

My mom always wanted me to be a 'girly girl', but she ended up with a bit of a Tomboy!! Oh was she crazed!!:roflmfao: :roflmfao:

Now, (29 yo) I have merged all aspects...the Birkin, the surfboard & the Birkin!!! LOL! BUT, my DH did buy her for me & it was really special...he also bought me my horse!

SO...I guess we will say...to each is own! Life isn't black and white or cut and dry!:lol: I guess I don't really have an opinion about it except that I just think everyone's life, no matter how, why, what or what-not-whos-its, everything is relative!!!

SO...now I'm a girl on a horse with a birkin!!!!:roflmfao: Sorry, I am just cracking myself up here!

My DH is wondering what the hell I'm laughing at....sorry guys, long day, delirious!!!!

K~
Well, I have to admit, I still have my surfboard.

imo 16 is too young.

i've always been able to have nice things but nice things that were appropriate for my age.

heck! i feel naughty just looking in the Hermes subforum

Hermes or anything else is just a lifestyle. It's just a handbag....although in my mind the Birkin style is not *quite* what I would picture on my daughter at 16 or even 18....I would gladly spend the money on whatever she wanted if that were part of our lives.

It's only money....I don't say that to kick up a fuss....but way too much emphasis is put on money or how much something costs as being a barometer of what we should or should not do with it. If you can afford it, and you live this way anyway....then.

It's kind of like buying a Porche for your 16 year old son or daughter. Some do, most probably don't. But, if everyone in your family drives a Porche, or Ferrari, then....

That said, neither daughter nor I had Birkins when we were in our teens. Nor did I drive a Porche, although my father did. BUT, I would have loved one....and enjoyed it, very much.

I've loved well made things, anything....not only Hermes, as far back as I can remember and wanted and appreciated only the best...even as a child. Now, in my 50's, I'm no different. And, I've always, even as a child, taken great care of all my things.

I don't think a Birkin suits a 16 year old because it's not quite as youthful as other bags. I would think a Picotin or an Evelyn would be better. Even a Garden party can be quite a fun bag.

Also, I think it would be putting too much pressure on the teen to have such a big status bag unless they were moving in a world of socialites and parties.