Is 16 years old to young for a Birkin?

i'm 18 and i think that i am too young for a birkin.

not really because of age, but because it just would not feel right if i did not pay for it on my own COMFORTABLY! a birkin IS a status symbol and i don't feel accomplished enough (YET!) to own one.

when i graduate from university and score high-flying finance job on the other hand... i'll be on a waiting list or two :biggrin:

Firstly let me just say i'm 15 years old nearly 16 and i'm definitly not spoiled at all, I have a fairly reasonable collection of Designer bags, I got my first LV around when I was 13/14 and since then have ammased a small collection (5 LV'S and 2 Chloes, one of wich I just purchased the other week from HN's).
And after reading this thread I think it is rather unfair for people to just catagorize teenagers as being spoiled just because they are carrying a status bag at that age, I also think that it is unfair to say that they don't appreciate the work and craftsmanship that has gone into the bag, also that the wouldn't know how to care for it? Why wouldn't we appreciate it? I myself know all about he History of the Hemes label and what an acomplisment it is to carry so a beautiful piece of art, so hopefully when I do get a Birkin (Sooner rather than later, as my mum has promised) I won't be frowned upon by 'grown ups' because they THINK I don't appreciate it, when infact my mum suggested a birkin I was SO over the moon and was extremeley grateful and understood how fortunate I was. I also IMO think I work hard at school and always get top grades and for the past 3 years have come top in my year in Geography, English, Spanish and Design.
Obviously there are teenagers out there who have never heard of Hermes but there is also a large number who actually have and know all about the label, and Love the brand just as much if not more as all the Hermes members on this board.
xxxRosexxx

I just think getting a Birkin at age 15 or 16 leaves nothing to look forward to as you get older. I also think that unless you are guaranteed wealth later in life it will be tough 15 or 20 years from now if you are only able to afford a non designer bag after having had Hermes at 16!
Z

Generally I would say that the Birkin is too old for a sixteen-year-old.

Is a sixteen year old too old for a birkin of their own? Depends. A few, yes very few, own their own successful businesses - then they would be paying with their own money. Their money, their decision.

Otherwise, I agree with the other posts that a teenager (including Lindsay Lohan) has little to look forward to if given everything like birkins in their teen years.

Do what you feel in your heart. If you feel a 16 year old should own one of these beauties so be it! We all spoil our children in different ways. As I sit her reading what can/will she aspire to. I think of the boys in my daughters class driving bmw's, vets and other expensive cars which were purchased for them on their 17th birthday. There is no right or wrong to this question.

Do what you feel in your heart. If you feel a 16 year old should own one of these beauties so be it! We all spoil our children in different ways. As I sit her reading what can/will she aspire to. I think of the boys in my daughters class driving bmw's, vets and other expensive cars which were purchased for them on their 17th birthday. There is no right or wrong to this question.

I totally Agree, And I think at the end of the day It is up to that person and their parents, and I think no one should judge or pass opinions on that!
xxxRosexxx

I'm not sure I'd give full and complete ownership of a Birkin to a 16 year old, but if I had a daughter, I'd let her borrow just about anything. I often fantasize about having a girl that I can spoil with mini-Birkins, -Kellys, and -Bolides...please let it happen!

I totally Agree, And I think at the end of the day It is up to that person and their parents, and I think no one should judge or pass opinions on that!
xxxRosexxx

Hi there! Did you have a great time in Miami? Did you get some goodies? I don't think anybody here is judging anyone else. We are merely giving our opinions....

I have certain values that I want to pass on to my DDs and those include NOT buying them Birkins at the age of 16. However, as you say, it's up to parents to decide what and when to buy their children things.:heart:

I'm not sure I'd give full and complete ownership of a Birkin to a 16 year old, but if I had a daughter, I'd let her borrow just about anything. I often fantasize about having a girl that I can spoil with mini-Birkins, -Kellys, and -Bolides...please let it happen!

oh coco-nut, big hug for you.

as for the question at hand, it totally depends on the child/family i guess. i could elaborate, but that's just more or less my opinion - it depends on the individuals. no one right or wrong way to go, imo.

(ps i love teenVogue - never miss an issue)

Btw, I speak from related experience. My mother let me indefinitely borrow a vintage Hermes clutch (c. 1954) when I was in h.s. (c. late 1970s). It was fun to carry, but didn't stop me from working as a professional or buying my own stuff later. It wasn't exactly a Birkin, but it wasn't Dooney&Burke either (not that D&B existed then.)

She also gave me a brand-new Gucci clutch in a gorgeous brown suede with red/green braid around it in 1979. I carried it through most of college and suddenly it's in style again!

As an aside, my classmates were wearing their grandmothers' beaver coats, Cartier tank watches, and David Webb enamel rings. As I see it, my parents got off pretty easy.

hehee..the size is really what gets me..so cute.

oh it's so so good. the size is too convenient, isn't it? and they really feature and include a lot of familiar labels/designers, they just style it with a very playful twist. but certainly sophisticated fashions are on every page, they just make an effort to include a pair of american apparel socks or an a.p.c. dress so that something is under $300 on the page. lol i frequently have to skip the articles, but the pics, shopping and beauty coverage are great.
and by the way, if teenagers are reading that, no wonder they know about, aspire to hermes.

If you feel you are honestly mature enough to hand the responsibility of handling such an expensive bag and not letting your friends know it's worth and you're buying because you TRULY love the way it looks and not what it represents, then go for it.

Otherwise, i think it's not worth it. Your friends may get jealous, what if they want to borrow it? You could get mugged, or worse, kidnapped because the kidnapper thinks your family must be super wealthy to afford such things for their young daughter.

I mean, my best friend comes from a VERY wealthy family and they could easily afford the hottest IT bag out there for all 3 of their daughters, but they don't. Not because they're afraid of them getting spoiled, but because they may get targeted by others.

Even though I'm 21 now, my mom will not let me wear most of the jewlery I have in case I'm mugged or targeted.