Tech iPad mini

siworae said:
I like the smaller size of the ipad mini, but I'm going to pass on it... not worth it to me at that price point.

My aunt just bought an ipad 3 yesterday for her son's birthday next week... with the announcement of the ipad 4, I'm going to tell her to return it and buy the new one when it's available.

Tell her to call apple. If she bought it within 30 days of the new release, she will be able to swap the 3 for the 4.

I was reading a summary on the mini iPad on Wired.com and they mentioned it compares to an iPad 2 (bolding mine below). Confirms my decision to pass on this gen of mini iPad:

Hardware and Battery Life
Inside, the iPad mini is equal to, or slightly more advanced, than the iPad 2. The device is powered by a dual-core A5 chip. It sports a front-facing FaceTime HD camera and a 5 MP iSight camera on the rear side. The iPad mini also has ultrafast wireless and the same LTE capabilities as the third- and fourth-generation iPads (in the Wi-Fi plus Cellular models). The built-in Wi-Fi is twice as fast, according to Apple. And naturally, you get the new Lightning dock connector, which debuted in the iPhone 5. Apple also claims it will get 10 hours of battery life.

from: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/10/ipad-mini-explainer/

That's how I feel too... although I love the size! I was really hoping it would be like the iPad 3 but mini.

I keep racking my brain trying to think of a reason why I need this. I even tried to pull the "oh, it'll fit in my bag better"... but then ooopsie me, I carry bigger bags and love 'em and my ipad 3 fits perfectly. *sigh* LOL

Maybe I'll pass on it. Or wait til Christmas. But right now, I don't think Im going to rush to get it.

I'm getting the mini ipad too. The regular size is too big and heavy to be carrying around in my bag all the time, and sometimes I don't want to carry a second case/tote for it.

Not sure which one I'm getting though, probably don't need the 64gb, but I want the cellular.
Looks like they won't be out until next month though, so I may wait until I can see it IRL, so I can see it before buying.

The pre-orders for the white mini iPad are already sold out. I am practically already late to the party :amuse:

I was going to buy a handbag but now being replaced by the desire for a mini iPad. Have the iPad2 but it is absconded most evenings and weekends by the dh who runs all his Hulu videos off of it to the plasma. So we need a second iPad or he needs to buy a specialized box to run his darn videos :smile:

The pre-orders for the white mini iPad are already sold out. I am practically already late to the party :amuse:

I was going to buy a handbag but now being replaced by the desire for a mini iPad. Have the iPad2 but it is absconded most evenings and weekends by the dh who runs all his Hulu videos off of it to the plasma. So we need a second iPad or he needs to buy a specialized box to run his darn videos :smile:

apple tv has Hulu and Netflix on it. :graucho:

I will most definitely be passing. I had been waiting to upgrade my ipad1 for this, but once I saw it was most likely a mini I just went with the 3. I do not see the point in paying so much for something this size when I already have an iPhone and there are so many cheaper alternatives (kindle fire, nexus etc). I know there obviously is a demand for the size, but to me it's just too small and too close to the iPhone size--after playing on my parents kindle fire I will gladly stick with my larger ipad3.

this is me,

I jumped on the iPad finally after hearing the next one will be mini, so I got the three, I only wish they'd consider a bit bigger..I use this practically like I'd use a laptop thanks to certain apps but I like it because it's touch screen and the display :biggrin: perfect for suits.

I have an iPad 3 and thinking about selling it to get the iPad mini.

I carry small bags as I don't carry too much around with me- I hardly wear make up so no make up to carry, I just leave my cards and money loose in my bag so no purse so its only really my phone/cards/cash/Oyster if i'm in London. Thinking the mini will be great for me as I will be able to fit it into a smaller bag/pocket in my Barbour and carry it around more easily- if I want to take my iPad around with me I have to take a bigger bag just for the sake of it- which is a pain in the backside if im walking around all day!

Personally I am happy to pay Apple prices. Their products always look sleeker and better made, plus their customer service is excellent- lets not forget the free 3 months AppleCare you get when you buy from them. The cost of repairs isn't ridiculous, the staff are polite and know what they are talking about (unlike walking into PC world and buying a windows tablet) and I personally think overall they make better products.

I used to be a straight windows girl- but my Macbook changed it all for me. I got a fault on it about 4 months after buying it, no AppleCare and they replaced it free of charge. Whether it was because we had spent a small fortune in there that year or because of their customer service I will never know- but what I do know is that similar happened to my parents desktop computer when it was just under a year old and PC world wanted to charge them for the repairs- not to mention they had to get THREE people to decide what was wrong with it! Its Apple through and through for us now!

Also thought I would add:

Those with a iPhone- DO NOT waste your money on buying a 3G model!

With the iPhone now you can use "Personal hotspot" so you connect to your iPad via Bluetooth so your iPad can run off your iPhones 3G- it doesn't charge you, it just uses your 3G allowance on your contract.

Save yourself a couple of £!

^where are you from if you don't mind me asking? I thought apple care is free for a year, with option to buy for additional year within first thirty days.

my usually bag is about the size of me, so I have no problem carrying it to work or when I travel, I'm all for bigger screens, cos I already have the iPhone 5

I'm in the UK- I may be wrong but when I was taking the contract out for my iPhone this is what I was told and wasn't even aware! Everything will be covered under a 12 month warranty if there is a fault with the actual product that you haven't caused yourself- for example if the screen breaks and you haven't dropped it. AppleCare covers all repairs- you could throw your iPad into a brick wall if you wanted to and they would replace it- a warranty wouldn't.

I know people refer to the AppleCare as a "warranty" but there is a standard warranty that you get on things like electrical goods where if they break down due to a manufacturing fault the company has to provide a replacement or repair on the product