Interesting comment....way to go DH!

I hate it when people try to guilt others. It's not like we're asking them to pay for our Coach habit!

Abitzberger...the in-law situation can be tough. I know that my in-laws have issue with how DH and I live, but at the same time, we've never asked them for a thing (not that they would ever help us even if we asked). DH put himself through school and paid off all of his loans. We asked them for nothing when we got married and bought our first home (not even help moving in). But, still, they feel the need to comment. I think it's insecurity more than anything. It reflects more on them than you or I.

Coachfanatic...Try not to feel guilty. The same thing happens to me. Are you taking food away from someone by purchasing a purse? If not, no worries!

cc - your DH did come across perfectly! He supported you like a good hubby! I'm trying to train my DH to do the same for me! :yes:

I don't have the same purse issues with my own parents because my parents come from well-to-do backgrounds - my Mom would compliment me on my Coach purchases! But my Mom-in-law is another story. My In-laws are more "blue collar" and don't make as much $$ as my parents or my DH and I. I would not use a new Coach purse around her because she tends to make comments about how much we're spending on my purses, etc. It's not like her son (my DH) doesn't spend his $$ on Golf games, airplanes (plane rentals are $78/hr!), etc. I don't work outside the home so I'm saving $$ in gas, I don't eat out, I don't even color my hair or do my nails in salons. My DH and I own (2) homes and both our cars are paid off and we contribute to our retirement fund regularly. As long as the mortgages and retirement funds are covered, I don't see anything wrong with "treating" ourselves to something we love. So, I should be able to save my $$ on my "Coach" habit as I see fit. But even at my old age of 38, I still switch out my purses to avoid the ugliness from my MIL whenever possible. *LOL*

I hate it when people try to guilt others. It's not like we're asking them to pay for our Coach habit!

Abitzberger...the in-law situation can be tough. I know that my in-laws have issue with how DH and I live, but at the same time, we've never asked them for a thing (not that they would ever help us even if we asked). DH put himself through school and paid off all of his loans. We asked them for nothing when we got married and bought our first home (not even help moving in). But, still, they feel the need to comment. I think it's insecurity more than anything. It reflects more on them than you or I.

Coachfanatic...Try not to feel guilty. The same thing happens to me. Are you taking food away from someone by purchasing a purse? If not, no worries!

I totally agree, my DH and I have put ourselves through school too and paid our loans and have finally gotten jobs that are able to pay for our lifestyle. I am just so happy that I have found this forum because we all have the same love and all of you are so supportive, helpful and not to metion are great at giving advice :tup:

I totally agree, my DH and I have put ourselves through school too and paid our loans and have finally gotten jobs that are able to pay for our lifestyle. I am just so happy that I have found this forum because we all have the same love and all of you are so supportive, helpful and not to metion are great at giving advice :tup:

Isn't this forum the best? Not only do we all have a love for Coach, but everyone is so nice and caring. I get so excited just to come on the boards and see what's going on with everyone! I've only been posting for a short time (read for a couple of months prior) but I can honestly say joining tPF has been a wonderful experience for me! :yahoo:

cc - your DH did come across perfectly! He supported you like a good hubby! I'm trying to train my DH to do the same for me! :yes:

I don't have the same purse issues with my own parents because my parents come from well-to-do backgrounds - my Mom would compliment me on my Coach purchases! But my Mom-in-law is another story. My In-laws are more "blue collar" and don't make as much $$ as my parents or my DH and I. I would not use a new Coach purse around her because she tends to make comments about how much we're spending on my purses, etc. It's not like her son (my DH) doesn't spend his $$ on Golf games, airplanes (plane rentals are $78/hr!), etc. I don't work outside the home so I'm saving $$ in gas, I don't eat out, I don't even color my hair or do my nails in salons. My DH and I own (2) homes and both our cars are paid off and we contribute to our retirement fund regularly. As long as the mortgages and retirement funds are covered, I don't see anything wrong with "treating" ourselves to something we love. So, I should be able to save my $$ on my "Coach" habit as I see fit. But even at my old age of 38, I still switch out my purses to avoid the ugliness from my MIL whenever possible. *LOL*

Sometimes it is definitely easier to take the path of least resistance. While it's not fair for you to have to switch things just to avoid awkwardness, it's all about doing what is easiest in certain situations. I would do exactly the same!

That's a good one! My DH hid an airplane from me for months.:yes: He had purchased a cessna and never told me. So we were having a very bad thunderstorm and the airport called and said to me , you better tell your husband to come secure his plane better.
So I am arguing with the guy, "we don't have an airplane!"
Little did I know , yes , he did!:wtf: That was 23 years ago and now it's funny:lol:, not so much back then!:hysteric:

double post

That's a good one! My DH hid an airplane from me for months. He had purchased a cessna and never told me. So we were having a very bad thunderstorm and the airport called and said to me , you better tell your husband to come secure his plane better.
So I am arguing with the guy, "we don't have an airplane!"
Little did I know , yes , he did! That was 23 years ago and now it's funny, not so much back then!

:wtf::wtf::wtf: O, that's a good retort though to my DH. "Well at least I never bought a plane without telling you!" :lol:

Oh my!

I'm glad to hear that you and your husband have an excellent relationship with your MIL, if that was me I might not have been able to keep my mouth shut! :roflmfao:

What an awesome husband you have! His reply couldn't have been more perfect! :heart:

Oh my!

I'm glad to hear that you and your husband have an excellent relationship with your MIL, if that was me I might not have been able to keep my mouth shut! :roflmfao:

What an awesome husband you have! His reply couldn't have been more perfect! :heart:

Thanks! It was actually my mom we were talking to. We're all very close. Now if it were my MIL, that would be a different situation!

cc--It's nice that your DH made such a wonderful comment. Don't worry too much about your mom, though...I think with handbags, people either get it or they dont--and it seems like a lot of money to most people. I know that I rarely carry a Coach bag around my inlaws because I feel awkward about it...they'd never say anything mean or derogatory and we are very secure and independent with our finances...but I still prefer to carry a bang around bag or not known designer.

Part of me says the whole thing is silly--I'm the mother of three and quite self sufficient--but the other part of me prefers not to draw any attention to myself in that way. I still use them and enjoy them, so that works!