In what ways are you frugal?

I bought a condo a few years back but decided to rent it out and live with family to save up on money. I come from a Greek family where culturally it is common and acceptable for generations to stay together in the same home. Unfortunately, I have to sleep on a mat on the living room with my loveable dog, but it's allowing me to save an extra 60k a year, so I think it's worthwhile for now.

I also never buy any clothes, shoes, or jewelry for full retail price. I like designer quality, but I will only shop great deals at discount stores like the Nordstrom Rack. When I travel, I stay at Airbnb rather than hotels and go with friends to split the cost of the room.

I try to take full advantage of any perks my employer offers me: e.g. 401k match, discounts to visit museums, etc.

To be fair, if I cut down on the retail shopping, I could save an extra 15k a year, but I haven't found the full will power yet. :sad:

People make fun of me but I'll take paper towel off the roll, stack a bunch of sheets up, and rip it in 4 pieces. Then I have quadruple the amount because 1 piece of paper towel is way more than anyone needs for most things. If its those short sheet style, I'll just rip it in 2 pieces instead.

I also used to work in the fashion industry and so I would take samples home and I haven't bought clothes aside from socks and underwear in more than 10 years.

I do not wear jewelry other than my Garmin watch, I always bring my breakfast and lunch to work and make dinner at home, only eat out maybe once a week (usually on Saturdays), and I do not buy designer clothes. I do have nicer jeans and lululemon leggings, but I am perfectly fine with buying my tops/blouses/workout tshirts from TJMAXX, Kohls, Madewell or from Target. And I typically head for the clearance racks lol

I'm more into makeup and handbags, but neither of my collections are large.

I used to buy all the high end designers and never waited for sale. Now I won’t buy any designer and won’t buy anything that’s not on sale. I worked at Nordstrom’s a lot of years and the mark ups were ridiculous. I shop at h and m for my work clothes. Have to wear all black and white everyday. I recently bought Chanel earrings with money o saved up from my shopping apps I get points for Paypal cash and or virtual gift cards. I pick up spare change and put in a jar and cash it in at the end of the year. Anything to save up to buy me a new Chanel boy.

Reactions: taho
I wouldn’t call myself frugal....But I track every cent that comes in or goes out, I pay off all bills every month, and I save a set amount every month- sometimes more....in other words, I stick to a budget. Works for me!

People are always going to judge-whether they judge what you have, or what you don’t have. Keep shopping at the dollar store with your Chanel!!!

Reactions: tinyturtle
My only real gripe is buying coffee (both the beans and Starbucks). I'm sure it's because I do not drink coffee at all. It's such a small but unnecessary (to me) expense that adds up incredibly quickly. Unfortunately my DH is addicted to coffee so I've had to accept it.

For me, frugal is about NOT spending on things that I don’t enjoy/value, and that’s different to just being cheap. Some people I know may be well off but they don’t even go out or catch up with friends so to save petrol?!

Over the years,
1. I’ve stopped drinking because I realized that I never enjoy it. Never smoke.
2.Stopped buying designer shoes, as I get as much joy out of adidas/Nike sneakers.
3. One in one out rule with bags, and declutter/streamline wardrobe so most are the things that I enjoy wearing (See the Marie Kondo trend) and less decision making every day.
4. I’ve said no to hens night/overseas weddings in the past if I’m not close to the host. Now I’m glad I’ve done that as I don’t even speak to those people anymore.
5. Buy when I need not because it’s on sale.
6. This year I will not buy as much beauty products unless to replenish as I have a big collection to go through.
7. do my own nails as I can’t stand salons, same thing for hair salons can’t stand sitting hours in there.
8. have own workout gears at home as gyms imo are dirty.
9. don’t do fine dining as much as I get to do that at client lunches for free and really 8-10 course degustation is just too much food
10. love borrowing books and subscriptions thanks to libraries, also helps me declutter my home.

Last edited:
Reactions: taho
I’m super frugal but a lux addict. I can justify some purchases based on resale value and cost per wear. I’d rather have one nice, top branded, beautiful item than a dozen from H&M. I’m also a minimalist (thanks Marie Kondo) so that helps curb fast fashion and too many lux purchases. Less items to stress about. And that helps ensure the one peice of something i own is my favorite

Lately I’ve been wondering - how do other frugal luxury enthusiasts (maybe minimalists as well?) see their purchases? As Investments? As money savers because the item has more longevity? I ask because I’ve had a few LV quality issues lately and I’m starting to feel that the $600 price point for a wallet can not be justified as anything than buying a flashy brand. I love LV, so I’m trying to find a reason to buy it, but the brand has been so disappointing recently

I’ve been BEGGING to cut my husbands hair for years but he won’t let me!!!!! I showed him my “credential” from the u tube videos I watched but he still refused. There is no trust in this marriage I tell you!!! :mad:

Just because I play practical jokes on him all the time and mess with him all the time on purpose... is that any reason to refuse such a nice gesture from me?! Men! :crybaby:
I just saw this!!! Oh my!!! My husband is the same! I've been begging him to allow me to cut! Especially during this lunar new year the price hike for a hair cut is triple and to make it worst his hair is forever so short what's the point of going to a saloon! :sleepy: So I attempt to when he was asleep, I woke him up and said I'm holding the scissors let me cut! He was furious coz he tot I have already did it! :yucky: Sigh! And he said he loves me very much! Where is the love? :heart:

Reactions: ashin121 and Vanana
I’m super frugal but a lux addict. I can justify some purchases based on resale value and cost per wear. I’d rather have one nice, top branded, beautiful item than a dozen from H&M. I’m also a minimalist (thanks Marie Kondo) so that helps curb fast fashion and too many lux purchases. Less items to stress about. And that helps ensure the one peice of something i own is my favorite

Lately I’ve been wondering - how do other frugal luxury enthusiasts (maybe minimalists as well?) see their purchases? As Investments? As money savers because the item has more longevity? I ask because I’ve had a few LV quality issues lately and I’m starting to feel that the $600 price point for a wallet can not be justified as anything than buying a flashy brand. I love LV, so I’m trying to find a reason to buy it, but the brand has been so disappointing recently
I see it both as savings and "investments".

Savings - when I was in early 20s, all the chains (Zara, H&M etc) entered my home market and we all went crazy about it. I was a student so couldn't even think about more expensive options plus before joining the EU there was no luxury shops in Warsaw (also travel on regular airlines was something else than today, a lot of £££).
As a result, like many of my peers I went crazy into shopping clothes in quantity rather quality. But then started looking into minimalism (read Marie Kondo:smile:) and my anticlutter obsession kicked in so donated 000s worth low quality clothes to charity and really had to grieve over the money spend (we talking serious handbags/holidays).
Today I'm buying high quality clothes, well tailored and expect them to last due to better quality (fingers crossed) and fashion agnostic designs. Had to sort in my head the desire to look fashionable (forgetting I'm 15 years older than young London fashionistas) and to have a huge wardrobe Sex and the city style so effectively saving in the longer term.

Investment - with "". If i get bored with mid-range/highstreet bag, there is zero chance of selling it (or it's just 99% value lost + hassle of taking pics and posting). Designer handbags and jewellery, carefully chosen can have a residual value (often close to 50% of the original price) therefore if I really don't want to use the item (change of mind, taste etc.), the real cost is much lower. I do change my mind a lot and also keen to keep <15 handbags as not keen to buy a bigger house (-> influence of minimalism here, more money to travel etc.)

I agree on the cost point - I was shocked by a price of a Gabrielle coin purse I bought some time ago (£540:doh:) but I have found that occasional luxury experiences give me more pleasure/it's more memorable than buying a reliable useful solid leather coin purse for 1/5 of the price. I just love looking at the purse.
Have decided this is my pleasure in life :angel:

Reactions: LRG
I just saw this!!! Oh my!!! My husband is the same! I've been begging him to allow me to cut! Especially during this lunar new year the price hike for a hair cut is triple and to make it worst his hair is forever so short what's the point of going to a saloon! :sleepy: So I attempt to when he was asleep, I woke him up and said I'm holding the scissors let me cut! He was furious coz he tot I have already did it! :yucky: Sigh! And he said he loves me very much! Where is the love? :heart:
I’ve given this some thought. I think while we were dating he felt safer and also didn’t know any better. After marriage he knows to be afraid and also recognizes that if anything happens to him, I get everything so there is VALID reason to fear me with sharp objects in close vicinity :roflmfao:

As an aspiring minimalist I approach it as “whether the luxury item brings me joy” as per Marie Kondo’s method. eg I know I would rather have 1 luxury bag that brings me sooo much joy every time I use it than 10 mediocre bags that I use/secretly wishing for them to breakdown so I can move on.
I try not to let resell value being a major factor as that would mean I may end up buying luxuries that majority likes (eg black bags) as oppose to what I like and probably freaking out about using bags.

Remember your tastes will change, and it’s ok if you don’t think they’re worth the $ now, like the price of chanel bags or designer shoes.

I always tell people that I know how to make my dollar holler. Hahaha.

-Only shop produce seasonally, and cook with seasonal fresh produce that I comb through the local ads for the best prices. We additionally meal prep for the week on Sunday.
-My DH packs his lunch 4 days out of 5.
-Family haircuts....I have always cut my DH's hair, and all 3 of my children's. Still stylish, but on my time, and free to me! Since our hair grows like WEEDS, this is a pretty big savings.
-I try to pay under $10 for any item of clothing for the kids (new). I know all of the tricks to get my bargains and stack discounts on clothing!
-I love the Dollar Tree, TjMaxx, Marshall's, etc. I will make lists of all the local stores inventory that I like, and re-buy items that get discounted.
-We only buy what we can pay cash for ( I use CCs, but carry no balances and pay every month in full). I will be very ruthless about what I need, in order to have something I want. The interwebs are full of genius ideas.
-4x a year, I go through the house top to bottom, and make sure we are using what we have, giving away or selling what we don't use/have outgrown, and keeping only what we love.
-I have one CC where the bank will round up to the next dollar, and deposit it in a savings acct. This is our "fun" money account.
-I try to only buy what I love in luxury purchases. That said, at times when my personal style evolved, I have always been able to sell my earlier luxury purchases for more or equal what I've paid.

This has led to quite a large luxury handbag collection.....which I think gives me even more satisfaction, because I know that savviness with our dollars made that possible. It's a great feeling to owe no one anything, and truly enjoy what you own.

I use E-Bates and Retailmenot for coupons and cashbacks. I am also really patient when it comes to sending emails for price adjustments and price matching. I bring my breakfast, lunch and snacks for work every single day. When it comes to eating out, I keep an eye out for Groupon, discounted restaurant gift cards at Costco or Sam's Club, and my dad's AARP membership also gets me a discount on Restaurant.com. Depending on the name brand or item I wait for sales all the time. I also sign up for free memberships that rack up points which turn into discounts.

Reactions: Passau