In what ways are you frugal?

All my friends think I'm such a huge spender, but my boyfriend and family know the truth, other than purses, I am the cheapest person they know. Most of this is second nature to me and I don't even realize I'm "being cheap".

1. I rarely order drinks when eating out. Normally it's water, free and the healthier option!
2. Coupon when I can and stock up when the deal is good. (Like when target does a spend xx and get a free gift card, bonus if a cartwheel or coupon matches up with these promos.)
3. Always re-evaluate everything in your cart before heading to the registers, as well as in line, to be sure it's something you need/will use.
4. Clothing -always on sale and left in the bag for a week after purchasing. If I don't find myself dying to wear it or thinking about it, I probably don't need it, and usually gets returned.
5. When going on trips/events - cash in hand. Once the cash is gone, I can't spend anymore, so I must stick to the budget.
6. Have no friends and when not at work, stay home. (Just kidding!) but cooking at home with friends is typically my option.

You are AMAZING! I feel like I should pay you a (retail) therapy fee. So true! Those stupid emails are the absolute worst!!

It's hair - my hair is gray (so I have to get my color done often) but I recently started going to a much more affordable salon (and am obsessed with them). The rest is Makeup, manicures, lashes, and I get Botox about twice a year. Sooooo. I'll probably keep up with it but just be smarter about it.

The clothes shopping needs to [emoji113]

Thank you!!!!!!!

I'm happy you found this to be helpful! Remember that all habits are made over time and can be unmade over time :tup: Best of luck

Reactions: tinyturtle
I only shop during sales. I also buy lots of basic clothing that are in neutral colors that last a long time. I try not to buy fast fashion and only own like a few black pants and white shirts/t-shirts. Also, I shop at stores that have price adjustments just in case what I bought was now on a deeper discount sale!

What a fun thread! I'm probably going to repeat things some have already said on here but here's how I'm frugal. I always sign up for coupon apps whether it's wholefoods or giant. I pack my own lunch four days of the week. 95% of my clothes were bought on sale. I never pay for shipping. I know the best places to fuel up on cheaper gas and when they have six cents off days and where you can get a discount if you pay cash. I never buy on impulse. If anything is more than 100, I give myself a day to think about it. Whenever I am interested in buying something, I always ask myself do I love it for what the price is? For example, do I 180 dollars love this shirt? Most of the time the answer is no! [emoji38] I don't drink or smoke. I jog with my dog for exercise. I always ask if there's a discount available or when buying jewelry if there's a better price available (obviously not at a place like Cartier or vca.) And I am always willing to walk away from a deal if I don't think I'm getting the better end of it! I try to buy items at major retailers when they are having gift card and bonus points events. I once bought an lv bag from bloomies with just gift cards! [emoji38]

I often wonder how much I'd save if I stopped going to Starbucks daily.

Haha, let me do the math for you.

Let's say you spend $4.50 per coffee and go there 5 to 6 times a week. In an year 6X52weeks = 312times you would go to Starbucks. And $4.50X312=$1404 and it could be more than that if you go to Starbucks 7 times a week and coffee is more expensive than $4.50.

I was in the same boat, so i feel ya sister[emoji6][emoji23]

I could have bought a freaking chanel or second hand hermes already with that money i have spent on damn Starbucks!!![emoji35]

I love that you ask yourself if you love something for the price. When I was dirt broke and earning minimum wage, I'd ask myself before buying something "How many hours of work did you have to put in just to afford that? Is it really worth ___ hours of your time?" The answer was usually no.

I'm gonna have to work on the gift card thing. Paying for an LV with gift cards?! Oh my!

What a fun thread! I'm probably going to repeat things some have already said on here but here's how I'm frugal. I always sign up for coupon apps whether it's wholefoods or giant. I pack my own lunch four days of the week. 95% of my clothes were bought on sale. I never pay for shipping. I know the best places to fuel up on cheaper gas and when they have six cents off days and where you can get a discount if you pay cash. I never buy on impulse. If anything is more than 100, I give myself a day to think about it. Whenever I am interested in buying something, I always ask myself do I love it for what the price is? For example, do I 180 dollars love this shirt? Most of the time the answer is no! [emoji38] I don't drink or smoke. I jog with my dog for exercise. I always ask if there's a discount available or when buying jewelry if there's a better price available (obviously not at a place like Cartier or vca.) And I am always willing to walk away from a deal if I don't think I'm getting the better end of it! I try to buy items at major retailers when they are having gift card and bonus points events. I once bought an lv bag from bloomies with just gift cards! [emoji38]

You are my sister in thrift! I have a similar story about my appliances. I will hunt down a deal on e-ver-y-thing.

Wasting money is just that - wasting money.

I don't like spending a penny more on anything than I have to. It's not a matter of can I spend the extra. It's that it makes no sense to spend the extra. I want the "thing". I don't want to throw away money.

Now this doesn't mean I don't buy nice "things". I love a nice home with nice furnishings, jewelry, travel and handbags. And I buy / enjoy high quality for each category. But flying to a resort on miles is so much more fun than doing so with real dollars. And buying loose stones to get the best value is more fun than paying markup for something put together by the jewelry. And toilet paper is toilet paper. Where is the glamour in spending extra money on that? :lol:

So frugal, thrifty, penny pencher... are all names I translate into smart, fun, thrill of the hunt, joy of the deal, more opportunity, no debt, wealth and happy. :angel:
Bravo. Well said :tup:

Reactions: Sparkletastic
I brew my own espresso, pack all my meals for work, shop at thrift stores and even sew or alter old clothes (people think I am wearing new and expensive designer clothing), turn off the lights and use as little electricity/air conditioning as possible, cut my own hair (people ask for referrals to the salon I use all the time), and am in the process of selling all my expensive jewelry.
I have no cable TV, I do my own pedicures, and I have no debt whatsoever.

I usually try to buy pre-loved bags, but there have been a few brand new purchases. I can't see spending $2 on a bottle of water, because every $ I save can go toward a $2000-$3000 bag!!! Hopefully no more $5000 bags - I did that once

Last edited:
I am frugal about almost everything, except Chanel and a few Hermès items and vacations. I pack my own lunch. I never drink coffee or alcohol and have never smoked. I do my own nails and my mom cuts my hair. I buy my clothes and shoes at cheap shops or on sale. I don't own a car and my work pays for my public transportation to work.
Up until about a year ago, I did buy too much clothes, shoes and fun decoration items that I did not need. But then I picked up Marie Kondo's book, purged a lot of stuff from my home and I have been a much wiser shopper ever since!
My current goal is to shop as little as I can, enjoy the items I already own and save up for a Birkin.

I am frugal. If I could cut a penny in half I would. I do my own nails and pedicures. I clean my own house. I have done my own hair and makeup for every special event I have attended except for my wedding. I only buy my clothes on sale and never pay full price unless its an item that is never discounted. I have had my furniture imported from different manufacture locations to save money. But I spend my money on my bags, shoes (on sale), and clothes (on sale). For me, it's really not about how much you spend, it's about how much you save!!!!!!!

I forgot another item to add to my frugality: I shop in the kids section!

Yes, I do this, and I'm proud of it. I wear a size XS is womans clothing, and size 35-35.5 in shoes. This translates to a size 12-14 in kids clothing and size 4 in kids shoes. I have purchased many gucci and burberry kids clothing and shoes, and have paid a fraction of the cost. Usually, the items brands make for big kids are the same styles for adults, so why should I pay 50% more for the same thing just because it comes from the ladies section??? I think not!

I also shop at Zara kids, sometimes their stuff is just way cuter!:P

I forgot another item to add to my frugality: I shop in the kids section!

Yes, I do this, and I'm proud of it. I wear a size XS is womans clothing, and size 35-35.5 in shoes. This translates to a size 12-14 in kids clothing and size 4 in kids shoes. I have purchased many gucci and burberry kids clothing and shoes, and have paid a fraction of the cost. Usually, the items brands make for big kids are the same styles for adults, so why should I pay 50% more for the same thing just because it comes from the ladies section??? I think not!

I also shop at Zara kids, sometimes their stuff is just way cuter!:P
I never though about going into kids clothing! I'll have to give this a try!

I am Trader's Joe wine kind of frugal. Lol. With Traders Joe wine, no Starbucks, pedicure once every 6 weeks(I don't paint my fingernails so no manicure) , eating out maybe once a month and packing lunch to work, I can painlessly afford my Hermes and other luxury spend without compromising my annual savings objectives...this year I will be skipping my annual overseas vacation as I plan to purchase 2 or 3 Hermes bags this year. I went nuts buying lulu kemp and Alo yoga active wears last year so this year no Bueno . As long as o meet my savings goals, I'm square really.