Ignorant Boyfriend

You guys are so silly! I'm in the middle of buying the Marc Jacobs Stam in Saddle Brown.. They are trying to locate it for me, hehe

MJ3.jpg

Most men just really don't understand the concept behind buying a designer handbag. My exboyfriend was like that, but respected my decision to spend my money my way (most of the time!)...He did think it was a bit ridiculous, but I thought the amount of money he spent on computers was ridiculous :biggrin: So we were pretty much even there, lol.

Luckily, Bart totaly understands! He's got a bigger Louis Vuitton collection than I do (which isn't hard to beat since I've only got 2 pieces, lol). He mainly buys belts and shoes from LV - not bags. He's also got a tie from last year's collection that he bought when he was in London.

The only thing I can suggest is that you ask him to keep his negative comments to himself since they hurt your feelings.

Eep! I guess I should have read the whole post before posting my first comment. Good to hear that you broke it off with him. If he's going to kirk out at you like that - he's not worth it. :heart:

Just wanted to let you guys know i just ended it.. for good. He had a total fit and basically started insulting everything from my clothes & bags to my character as a person and accusing me of everything he could possibly think of. I know it needed to be done, it's just hard when you get attached.. I'm thankful i didn't let myself date him for very long.

You guys are seriously so sweet and caring, you deserve all the Spy's, Paddington's, Stam's, Speedy's, and Birkin's in the world:heart:

Sorry to hear it ended but it may be for the better. You will know. Just follow your heart. I personally think he was just very insucure and worried that he'd disassapoint you cause he can't support your habits financially (it's the "man thing").

Don't let him put you down or talk to you that way. Different people have different hobbies and that's how simple that is. If he keeps talking to you that way, just pick out something that he's really into and get ready to rebuttle!

He sounds like he could be very controlling. Even if he doesn't have the money himself he sound be happy YOU can have the things you want. He sounds jealous!?! I know it sounds crazy but guys CAN be jealous of things like that.

ITA. :yes:

My BF once said to me, during an argument; 'You care more about things than me.'. It was in reaction to me complaining about him breaking/damaging something (again [he can be a bit clumsy!]).

I think he may have felt like this because of his upbringing; he lived in a fairly shabby house, with very few nice/expensive things; but his (very nice) mother was very loving and tolerant. He used to be allowed to wander around putting his dirty hands on the walls and the 3 cats were free to eat on the kitchen work surfaces and claw up the wallpaper. :lol:

So, I think he equates love with not caring about anything but people and animals and therefore, feels jealous of my appreciation of beautiful things.

Whereas, I grew up surrounded by antiques and artworks (my Mum was an artist and my Dad an antique dealer) and was always taught that it was my responsibility to value things and take care of them and that beautiful possessions are not just yours; you are looking after them for future generations. Sometimes I even feel guilty for his lack of care (I feel I should be able to train him better! :lol: ).

But, I think I'm pretty caring about people and animals and I go out of my way to try to help them and would never put a thing above a person/animal. If I did, I would buy/sell fur, exotics and conflict diamonds (which I don't). So, I couldn't help feeling surprised and hurt by his reaction.

Basically, I don't think you should have to not care about material possessions in order to prove that you care more about people.

Just wanted to let you guys know i just ended it.. for good. He had a total fit and basically started insulting everything from my clothes & bags to my character as a person and accusing me of everything he could possibly think of. I know it needed to be done, it's just hard when you get attached.. I'm thankful i didn't let myself date him for very long.

You guys are seriously so sweet and caring, you deserve all the Spy's, Paddington's, Stam's, Speedy's, and Birkin's in the world:heart:

Not very mature of him. Maybe you were being overly sensitive, but at the same time he was also being too insensitive. You shouldn't really care what he (or anyone else for that matter) had to say about your bag hobby. If you love to do it and can afford to, then what is stopping you?

Remember, an artist's work is never really understood or appreciated until he is long gone. Do what you love to do because life is too short to quibble over tastes.

Girl If It Is Your Money - He Can Just Shut Up. No- Buying Expensive Purses Is Not Logical, But If You Are Living A Good Life, Being A Good Person, And Your Worst Habbit Is Designer Bags...your Okay. There Are Times When We Should Be Financially Responsible And Put That 1000 To A House Or A Car, And There Are Many Times When We Put It Towards The B Ag. For Some Reason I Personally Love A Good Bag. Not For Status But I Have Been A Bag Lady Since I Was Little, Before "designer" Was Understood; This Being Said, If It Came Down To It I Would Wear Something Like A Potato Sack, Bare Foot, But A Great Gucci On My Shoulder!

I am so glad you broke up with him. When a bf starts trying to insult and control you before you are even married, that doesn't foreshadow good things for your future with him. You deserve someone who will love and support you for who you are, not who he wants you to be. As a general rule, men who insult you for your bag purchases won't stop if you stop buying the bags. They will find something else to insult you about because that is who they are.

Good luck on the new MJ, and congrats on both the new bag and the new bf-free lifestyle (for now)!

Hi, my boyfriend is kinda the same. He really does not understand that I buy these expensive things. I would like to tell you guys more and ask for advice, but this thread is probably dead now...

It's alive now! :tup:

A BF once said we'd be fine "if it wasn't for my high expenses". I told him to shut TFU because we were doing fine financially, at that time I actually made nearly double what he made and his idea of an expensive lifestyle was spending around 100€ of my own money a month on makeup, bags/SLG or clothes.
No surprise, he's an ex now.