If Hermes didn't have B/K/C ...

storytotell

Apr 10, 2023
Hoping to get the desired bag, we pay a premium price for RTW, watch, FJ etc., or sometimes switch to H from other designers to "build relationships"/achieve prespend levels and get offered a bag. We do buy items we like, but still, I feel that sometimes we stick to H not necessity because we can't find a better alternative across other brands.

If Hermes did not have any Kellys or Birkins and getting a coveted bag would have been out of the question, what would you continue buying at Hermes and what would you stop buying?

Reactions: vanillaicepink
If Kelly or Birkin never existed..
I’d still buy silks, leather goods, boots and FJ, if FJ are priced 40-50% lower.

While I enjoy every single H FJ in my collection and wear at least one daily, I probably wouldn’t have ever looked into H FJ, if I didn’t initially see many of them as “quota tax”, or what I call “gift with QB purchase”.

By “gift with purchase, I meant it as “buy QB from H get FJ for free”, as paying resellers the mark up is like paying for QB + FJ. 😆

I’d keep buying what I buy now, tbh.

Double-faced cashmere everything. I feel amazing in it.

Leather RTW.

Silk scarves for sure. My first love.

They have some really cool boots.

I love the color of their rose gold, but I have a few pieces and don’t crave more. Maybe I’d buy more costume jewelry?

Oxymore glasses (nicer than baccarat; asprey; and less expensive than more esoteric brands offered by The silver peacock in the design center Ny)

Leather outerwear, skirts, dresses (very refined, and I average retail cost of my purchases with some deals from prior seasons or even H sample sale; aka known as girl math). The fit of leather RTW is closer to the body than Dior and still cheaper than Chanel or Brunello (it’s all expensive, but it’s also all relative)

Women’s short sleeved sweaters (not twillanes) in black or gray go surprisingly well with cardigans from Chanel or Brunello.

Men’s sweaters, cargo pants, dress jeans; separates, like spring jackets. Nicer than women’s and cheaper. And I wear some of it too. (I’m a 36 women’s cargo pant from 2023 and a 38 men’s khaki pant with leather trimmed pockets from the same season). I like their pants a lot, though they’ve become quite pricy. Mixed media jackets like toile, leather; synthetic leather etc might be my favorite category.

Not a fan of shoes (though I have some short ankle medor boots) or jewelry, and I have too many scarves. The crowds on the first floor and the bag floor stress me, and I try to avoid.

My rainbow 1923 bolide is a favorite. More so than several of my QB 25s, and the bag I wear the most is DH’s sac a depeches 21.

Last edited:
Their silk scarves, CSGMs, kelly belts, perfume, FJ, other bags. I love my lindy26 and am planning to get a bolide and at least one picotin in future, am just waiting for the right colours. I really like their FJ too, to me the designs are neither too feminine nor industrial and just hits the sweet spot for me. I have bought from the boutique but am also looking at some designs which sell out quickly in my boutique on the resale market but I don’t want to support the private sellers who seem to constantly resell everything they buy from Hermès, so the search/wait continues.

I don’t shop exclusively at H for the categories I purchase, except maybe scarves as I just don’t find other brands’ designs as appealing. So there’s no switching from other brands. I am also exploring vintage H scarves. In the scarfie threads you will find many members with vast knowledge and collections of H scarves who don’t care about H bags.

Bolide! I truly love and enjoy this bag.
Followed closely by Halzan.
FJ because of the unique and edgy vibes.
Shoes because they fit my wide feet and I find them comfortable.
Scarves and mufflers.

Reactions: bagsnshoess