If Hermes didn't have B/K/C ...

Other bags.

I’m a weird Hermès customer in that I don’t really go for the BKC. What has drawn me to the brand was initially the HAC, then the Plume.

I’ve never aspired to own a Birkin because I dislike the proportions and after owning a HAC, I realized I didn’t like tote bags at all.

Someday I would want to own a Kelly but that’s very far down the list as I want to get a Bolide first. I’m actually hesitant to get a Kelly because I’m not a fan of the undone look. I like my bags fully closed.

Thanks op for starting this thread. I think some people also shop H because budgets are limited. With pre spend there are some who need or want to allocate funds just to H.

Frankly I would be delighted if they stopped making bkc and perhaps many of the clients who don’t really care about the brand heritage and quality would go away. :lol:

What would I buy? Homeware but mainly tableware. No pillows because they haven’t held up well for me and have polyfill. Throws for display only.

I’d continue to also buy Rtw, mens and women’s scarves, fine and costume jewelry that interest me. Though fine would be very selective. These days the prices are just exorbitant. I know it was 8 years ago but then you could get a plain h dancre for under 6k. It is mind numbing that this thin bangle is like 9k today. I bought the chaine dancre earrings for around 800 a while back and now I think they’re almost double? For that little bit of gold? Crazy.

I’d still buy hats, beanies, gloves, boots, flats, sandals, perfumes, belts, occasional slg. And of course some non qb.

But this also depends on pricing. If they raise prices to such a point where it’s really not worth me spending the extra? I may be treating myself very rarely. Cgsm prices make me think twice before pulling the trigger.

I probably wouldn’t have ever looked into H FJ, if I didn’t initially see many of them as “quota tax”, or what I call “gift with QB purchase”.

By “gift with purchase, I meant it as “buy QB from H get FJ for free”, as paying resellers the mark up is like paying for QB + FJ. 😆
I have similar thoughts on FJ. I have a few pieces and wear them regularly, however, it would not have necessarily been my primary choice for FJ shopping. This assumes limited financial resources, else I would have bought everything lol ;)

Reactions: miss mitzi
Hoping to get the desired bag, we pay a premium price for RTW, watch, FJ etc., or sometimes switch to H from other designers to "build relationships"/achieve prespend levels and get offered a bag. We do buy items we like, but still, I feel that sometimes we stick to H not necessity because we can't find a better alternative across other brands.

If Hermes did not have any Kellys or Birkins and getting a coveted bag would have been out of the question, what would you continue buying at Hermes and what would you stop buying?
I bought from Hermès for years without ever thinking about getting a Kelly or Birkin. In fact, when I started buying, if you wanted a Kelly or Constance (Birkins were not yet available), all you had to do was walk into a store and pick one off the shelf. I aspired to a Kelly, but couldn't afford it, but still loved the scarves and other goods.

Oxymore glasses (nicer than baccarat; asprey; and less expensive than more esoteric brands offered by The silver peacock in the design center Ny)

Leather outerwear, skirts, dresses (very refined, and I average retail cost of my purchases with some deals from prior seasons or even H sample sale; aka known as girl math). The fit of leather RTW is closer to the body than Dior and still cheaper than Chanel or Brunello (it’s all expensive, but it’s also all relative)

Women’s short sleeved sweaters (not twillanes) in black or gray go surprisingly well with cardigans from Chanel or Brunello.

Men’s sweaters, cargo pants, dress jeans; separates, like spring jackets. Nicer than women’s and cheaper. And I wear some of it too. (I’m a 36 women’s cargo pant from 2023 and a 38 men’s khaki pant with leather trimmed pockets from the same season). I like their pants a lot, though they’ve become quite pricy. Mixed media jackets like toile, leather; synthetic leather etc might be my favorite category.

Not a fan of shoes (though I have some short ankle medor boots) or jewelry, and I have too many scarves. The crowds on the first floor and the bag floor stress me, and I try to avoid.

My rainbow 1923 bolide is a favorite. More so than several of my QB 25s, and the bag I wear the most is DH’s sac a depeches 21.
So many said they would stick to knits/RTW that I now think that I may be missing something sticking to Brunello. I should probably give it a try for AW24 :smile:

I never saw Oxymore glasses either online/or in-store (I'm in Canada), is this something special to NYC?

• Thanks
Reactions: bagsnshoess and 880
Frankly I would be delighted if they stopped making bkc and perhaps many of the clients who don’t really care about the brand heritage and quality would go away. :lol:
That's an interesting thought, I initially started with H 10+ years ago with zero thoughts of getting a bag :smile:
But this also depends on pricing. If they raise prices to such a point where it’s really not worth me spending the extra? I may be treating myself very rarely. Cgsm prices make me think twice before pulling the trigger.
You hit the point! Looking at some items, I also question if these are actually worth it (says the person who bought Chyprest after a 20% price increase lol)

Tableware, fine jewellery, CSGM, anything made with box leather. I actually don’t need anymore birkins or kellys but because of the price premium on these other items l feel like l’m losing out if l don’t use the ‘privilege’ to buy the bags. Ah 1st world problems
I do love CSGM as well! I am a little hesitant to start collecting tableware as a lot of items are out of stock at my home H store and I don't have much patience to spend years chasing pieces here and there to collect the whole set.

Reactions: SDC2003
I didn't start shopping Hermès to "get iconic bags".

If there were no Birkin/Kelly/Constance - well first off shopping would be SO much calmer and nicer! I wouldn't miss the Constance; I think I'd really only miss the Kelly. I love Birkins but I'm sure I'd find another tote.

I would still love the Bolide, the Evelyne, and the Garden Party - all of which I have in multiples and use daily.
I would buy the HAC and the Plume, but probably vintage except for the Volynka versions of those bags.
I would buy the scarves occasionally, and the CSGMs if they had stayed plush. I'd buy the dishes and the desk accoutrements and the petit h things. I would buy the jewelry, much of which I actually love, and which would probably be better priced if there were no Birkins etc. to carry the pricing.

(...now dreaming of a pleasant H shopping trip amongst pretty things with no bag frenzy happening.... :girlsigh: )

So many said they would stick to knits/RTW that I now think that I may be missing something sticking to Brunello. I should probably give it a try for AW24 :smile:

I never saw Oxymore glasses either online/or in-store (I'm in Canada), is this something special to NYC?
Depends on your preferences. There is room for both in a closet. I like the thin Brunello silk cashmere knits that are like base layers. They used to come every season in black or cream with metallic undertones. Sometimes seasonally they would come in colors like gold, light green. . . I never found the opera sweaters flattering, too chunky.

The Hermes short sleeved sweaters that I like tend to be relatively plain and close to the body too. But they work as a shell underneath a Brunello or Chanel cardigan, like a mixed twin set. I’m not crazy about the scarf patterned twillanes (though I have one) or the HH embossed sweaters.

The Brunello pants are amazing and Italian classic. They’re very flattering when I’m a bit heavier and want to present a sleek silhouette. The Hermes pants I think work better when I’m thinner, and they have this cool girl, louch vibe. In general, the Brunello is much more sartorial whereas hermes is more fashion.

It’s a matter of cherry picking what you like and what works. Sizes are all over the map. Don’t assume that one H size for one sweater will be your size for another.

The Oxymore glasses were delayed bc the one oven that St Louis uses for them was literally broken for 8 months. We got notification after waiting 18 months (the original estimate) that it would until the third quarter of the following year which was unacceptable. We pressed and Hermes eventually delivered, some, not all. But I believe we prepaid for our order in its entirety. We did look elsewhere, and we just liked these the best. Or, we would have cancelled. It was harder to get these glasses than my gold sellier b25

From left to right : brunello, chanel and Hermes cardigans —- all of these work with my Hermes short sleeved cashmere pull over. :smile:
IMG_5443.jpeg

Last edited:
I too love their leather RTW, as well as their outerwear and other RTW items. I'd also get scarves, jewelry, SLGs and non-BKC bags.

Other bags for me too, I'm noticing a lot of Bolide here which I love and have but it's not very common where I am, Lindy would be next on my list and I think its a bag I will love even more than my bolide or picotin. Homeware (some not all), slgs, and perfumes & shawls/cashmeres would be categories I wouldn't go elsewhere for too.. Tbh their costume jewellery I've never liked and I would love to see more FJ in WG where I am

Depends on your preferences. There is room for both in a closet. I like the thin Brunello silk cashmere knits that are like base layers. They used to come every season in black or cream with metallic undertones. Sometimes seasonally they would come in colors like gold, light green. . . I never found the opera sweaters flattering, too chunky.

The Hermes short sleeved sweaters that I like tend to be relatively plain and close to the body too. But they work as a shell underneath a Brunello or Chanel cardigan, like a mixed twin set. I’m not crazy about the scarf patterned twillanes (though I have one) or the HH embossed sweaters.

The Brunello pants are amazing and Italian classic. They’re very flattering when I’m a bit heavier and want to present a sleek silhouette. The Hermes pants I think work better when I’m thinner, and they have this cool girl, louch vibe. In general, the Brunello is much more sartorial whereas hermes is more fashion.

It’s a matter of cherry picking what you like and what works. Sizes are all over the map. Don’t assume that one H size for one sweater will be your size for another.

The Oxymore glasses were delayed bc the one oven that St Louis uses for them was literally broken for 8 months. We got notification after waiting 18 months (the original estimate) that it would until the third quarter of the following year which was unacceptable. We pressed and Hermes eventually delivered, some, not all. But I believe we prepaid for our order in its entirety. We did look elsewhere, and we just liked these the best. Or, we would have cancelled. It was harder to get these glasses than my gold sellier b25

From left to right : brunello, chanel and Hermes cardigans —- all of these work with my Hermes short sleeved cashmere pull over. :smile:
View attachment 5970681
You have a great collection :smile: I love layers! I have fairly chunky Brunello cardigans, so a short-sleeved sweater from H should go well. Even for warmer weather, I'd imagine cardigans would work well with H cotton t-shirts.

Thanks for sharing your experience/timelines with the Oxymore glasses. Sounds like a veryyyy looong wait. Glad you finally got them! I love tableware so will check with my SA on the glasses.

• Thanks
Reactions: 880 and bagsnshoess