ID This Coach item! -- Post any Coach item name questions here! --

I have a question for you ladies. Do you have in your files a catalog from 1960, or any kind of list from that year of bags that came out? Or do you know a good place I can look? I google and use the year 1960, but haven't seen one yet, I saw something from 1964, so I was getting closer. Thought I would ask the experts for advice.

I have a question for you ladies. Do you have in your files a catalog from 1960, or any kind of list from that year of bags that came out? Or do you know a good place I can look? I google and use the year 1960, but haven't seen one yet, I saw something from 1964, so I was getting closer. Thought I would ask the experts for advice.
I don't believe that you'll find any COACH catalogs from 1960 since the Cahns bought the company they would rename COACH Leatherware in 1961 (I believe it was previously known as Gail Leather Products dating from 1941) and didn't hire Bonnie Cashin to design their new foray into women's accessories till 1962. The earliest adverts I've seen for COACH bags date from 1963 (Saks in the NYT and in The New Yorker magazine) and also the catalog covers for Spring 1963 and Fall 1963 shown below.
1963 Spring .png 1963 Fall.jpg

I don't believe that you'll find any COACH catalogs from 1960 since the Cahns bought the company they would rename COACH Leatherware in 1961 (I believe it was previously known as Gail Leather Products dating from 1941) and didn't hire Bonnie Cashin to design their new foray into women's accessories till 1962. The earliest adverts I've seen for COACH bags date from 1963 (Saks in the NYT and in The New Yorker magazine) and also the catalog covers for Spring 1963 and Fall 1963 shown below.
View attachment 3737044 View attachment 3737045
Thank you for that information, that will help in my search. I love the two covers below, those are neat. Just thinking it would be cool to own a Coach bag from the year I was born. I'll keep looking and thanks so much for your reply!

Thank you for that information, that will help in my search. I love the two covers below, those are neat. Just thinking it would be cool to own a Coach bag from the year I was born. I'll keep looking and thanks so much for your reply!
You're quite welcome. Sorry to have rendered your quest Quixotic. I'm not even sure what items Gail Leather Products (aka Gail Novelty Co.) was manufacturing in 1960. I believe that men's wallets had been their staple product line. I seem to also recall that it was a rather small operation when Miles Cahn made the move to purchase the company he had been working for the prior 15 years (and in which his father had been one of the four original investors). There seem to be sever al(conflicting) histories on the company's early steps into the women's accessory market , the attributions of the some of the earliest designs, and the progression to bags that projected what we now accept as the iconic COACH look. I suspect another example of the maxim that history belongs to whoever writes it.

Good luck in finding that special something for yourself.

IMG_4882.JPG
Does anyone know what Coach's color code CMD means? I am currently carrying my huge (but much loved!) Bleecker Preston bag with silver hardware and sunglow and white stripes. The Coach product code is 30173 SV CMD. I bought it in late summer 2015 but it was released in Spring or Summer 2014. I'm just curious about the translation for CMD - thanks!

View attachment 3728016

Congrats on tracking down the meaning of that code....your persistence paid off!

I just want you to know that this is one of those bags that I'd eventually like to own. You've posted pics of her before (the red crab charm is adorable and goes so well with it) and I had posted that I do own the cosmetic bag, which still has tags on it. It was some great deal, way back, from Macy's during a F&F. At the time, I remember thinking that I'd find a good use for it later on, but never liked the yellow and white combo with my existing bags. I don't believe Macy's had your Satchel on the floor.

I have a weird thing about having to match SLG's with a bags exterior, even if technically they're inside of the bag -- not side by side. It's a tad OCD, but what else is new with some of us purse lovers?

Now, after seeing your pic again (and you're TPF's finest photographer) I'm seriously considering grabbing one from EBay. I just checked and several copies, even some NWT, are for sale, all under $170. Then my little cosmetic bag will have a matching Mommy. :lol:

Do you find her to be quite roomy? I saw that there was a mini version released too, but I need the regular size.

I'm attaching a Coach stock photo (for convenience) of the cosmetic bag, but you're probably familiar with it.

I'll reveal the Satchel on here once I buy her...so technically you did your share of enabling! J/K!

Reactions: katev
View attachment 3737102

Congrats on tracking down the meaning of that code....your persistence paid off!

I just want you to know that this is one of those bags that I'd eventually like to own. You've posted pics of her before (the red crab charm is adorable and goes so well with it) and I had posted that I do own the cosmetic bag, which still has tags on it. It was some great deal, way back, from Macy's during a F&F. At the time, I remember thinking that I'd find a good use for it later on, but never liked the yellow and white combo with my existing bags. I don't believe Macy's had your Satchel on the floor.

I have a weird thing about having to match SLG's with a bags exterior, even if technically they're inside of the bag -- not side by side. It's a tad OCD, but what else is new with some of us purse lovers?

Now, after seeing your pic again (and you're TPF's finest photographer) I'm seriously considering grabbing one from EBay. I just checked and several copies, even some NWT, are for sale, all under $170. Then my little cosmetic bag will have a matching Mommy. :lol:

Do you find her to be quite roomy? I saw that there was a mini version released too, but I need the regular size.

I'm attaching a Coach stock photo (for convenience) of the cosmetic bag, but you're probably familiar with it.

I'll reveal the Satchel on here once I buy her...so technically you did your share of enabling! J/K!

Attachments

• IMG_4882.JPG
    IMG_4882.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 127