I washed my Burberry trench instead of dry cleaning

Has anyone had the issue with the colour lifting after spot cleaning? So confused. My old Sandringham was spot treated with cashmere-safe soap and warm water in the sink. While the stain isn’t even gone it looks like it lifted the colour (honey garbadine) and made it a bit lighter. I thought it was soap residue but repeated rinsing didnt help. It’s almost invisible to the naked eye, but yet still bothering me. It’s fully dry now and you can see a circular area is a tiny bit lighter. Anyone have the same thing happen? This soap can literally be used to wash ur face lol I don’t understand

I did the same with terrible experience. I spot-cleaned some stains and ended up with horrific water stains! Full on BLACK outlines of where it got wet. I have no idea why since my water isn’t particularly hard or anything else, but I spent hours getting the water stain off. I may have shed tears

Reactions: monella
I did the same with terrible experience. I spot-cleaned some stains and ended up with horrific water stains! Full on BLACK outlines of where it got wet. I have no idea why since my water isn’t particularly hard or anything else, but I spent hours getting the water stain off. I may have shed tears
Maybe you could put it in the washing machine as the other poster in this thread having issues after spot cleaning? I have washed my kensington honey trench (cotton, but with viscose sleeves) in the machine on delicates cycle. It is not new though, I used to bring it to the dry cleaners before. It is not as waterproof. I remove the belt and the straps on shoulders and around the sleeves, will wash those by hand if needed to not ruin the buckles. What makes me not do it so often is that it gets so creased, such a hassle to get the material crease free, even with a steamer. It is cotton, I can't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to put cotton in washing machine.

I washed my BB raincoat in a large newish washing machine (NYC apartment shared appliance). I love washing my items and I even wash my H silk scarves - unfortunately - my coat looks very wrinkled and kinda misshapen. I thought it would dry much more nicely than it did, I hung it up to dry. I will bring to drycleaner, but at least it's "clean".

Reactions: Edonis06
Hey there ! I thought about reviving a little bit this thread because I am a owner of a Burberry Kensington trench coat for a year and I am looking for good advice on how to take care of the coat. I have read the full thread with attention :smile:

Unfortunately I am bit lost as I read some things and there opposite things. Like reading A and then B. Like people saying they cleaned by themselves successfully and others who unfortunately had some issues by doing it by themselves. Some of you also cleaned your trench by washing me ? Woah I am lost :lol:

I know we should follow recommendations by Burberry like bringing the trench to a professional and expert dry cleaner. But at the same I read some of you had little issues.

My trench is still looking fine. Just one or 2 little tiny stain almost not visible but I want to be ready to make the best choice for when I will have to clean it. Also I don't want to wait to much for new stain to come. You know I really love my trench coat and I really want take care of it as good as possible to make it last long living.

I know it is always risky to wear such a precious coat outside with rain, wind, other people walking by, things from the city... you seat somewhere, you go to a bar...

Also how would you trust the dry cleaner? How you make sure he/she is the good to take care of your trench? What kind of questions should I ask or details should I be careful for ?

Well if you people could help me to clarify all these informations. Thank you very much for your kind help and advice lovely people :heart::angel:

This thread was started because of the fear of dry cleaners ruining the trench. Even Burberry-recommended dry cleaners have problematic reviews. You have to trust the drycleaner in your area - maybe look at the reviews and their experience with luxury items. Perhaps you have a friend that can recommend a place based on their experience.

As for cleaning it yourself, if you only have a few small stains - like I did - then you can try spot cleaning it yourself. A Burberry trench is meant to get wet, therefore water won't hurt it. Use a small amount of gentle soap and water to get out the stains.

You can try the soap and water inside the coat to test it for yourself if you are worried.

I used regular bar soap and water on the inside of my collar and on stains on the outside of the coat near the pocket and hem. I haven't had any issues.

Burberry has a rain proof coating on their trenches which eventually wears away and needs reproofing. I have never reproofed my Burberry trenches and I have washed the beige one a few times. I never dunked my entire trench in water - just spot cleaning the dirty areas.
HTH

This thread was started because of the fear of dry cleaners ruining the trench. Even Burberry-recommended dry cleaners have problematic reviews. You have to trust the drycleaner in your area - maybe look at the reviews and their experience with luxury items. Perhaps you have a friend that can recommend a place based on their experience.

As for cleaning it yourself, if you only have a few small stains - like I did - then you can try spot cleaning it yourself. A Burberry trench is meant to get wet, therefore water won't hurt it. Use a small amount of gentle soap and water to get out the stains.

You can try the soap and water inside the coat to test it for yourself if you are worried.

I used regular bar soap and water on the inside of my collar and on stains on the outside of the coat near the pocket and hem. I haven't had any issues.

Burberry has a rain proof coating on their trenches which eventually wears away and needs reproofing. I have never reproofed my Burberry trenches and I have washed the beige one a few times. I never dunked my entire trench in water - just spot cleaning the dirty areas.
HTH
Thank you for your reply ! It is very kind :hbeat:

Indeed small stain could be clean by soap and a small tissue to clean. I should try it myself. So you use regular classic soap and try to avoid colored soap ?

So even after washing your trench couple of time it still remains water repellent as good as when you bought it first ? Or is it changing with time ?

And do you use any special spray to clean a bit the smelling ? Or how do you do to keep the trench the smelling good ?

And another question have you ever worn your trench on rain or even heavy rain weather ? And how the coat was holding it ? I have worn it only one time under little water and not for very long time though but the coat seemed to have hold well.

Yes I must questions these dry cleaners that we have in the area to ask them if they can handle such a precious coat.

Thank you for your reply ! It is very kind :hbeat:

Indeed small stain could be clean by soap and a small tissue to clean. I should try it myself. So you use regular classic soap and try to avoid colored soap ?

So even after washing your trench couple of time it still remains water repellent as good as when you bought it first ? Or is it changing with time ?

And do you use any special spray to clean a bit the smelling ? Or how do you do to keep the trench the smelling good ?

And another question have you ever worn your trench on rain or even heavy rain weather ? And how the coat was holding it ? I have worn it only one time under little water and not for very long time though but the coat seemed to have hold well.

Yes I must questions these dry cleaners that we have in the area to ask them if they can handle such a precious coat.

I used regular white bar soap and also Baby Shampoo. Of course, avoid colored soaps. If you are worried use gentle clear soaps like Woolite.

The repellant on my coat is as good as when I bought it. Also, I haven't washed it many times - maybe 3 times so far. So that isn't a lot. Also, I haven't gotten drenched in the rain so my repellant is intact. My trench has the same texture as when I bought it.

I don't use any spray as my trench doesn't smell. Maybe air it out inside out after using it. I can't recommend any sprays because I have never used them.

If you want to try it yourself, do it on a small spot inside the coat for peace of mind.

• Love
Reactions: Edonis06
I used regular white bar soap and also Baby Shampoo. Of course, avoid colored soaps. If you are worried use gentle clear soaps like Woolite.

The repellant on my coat is as good as when I bought it. Also, I haven't washed it many times - maybe 3 times so far. So that isn't a lot. Also, I haven't gotten drenched in the rain so my repellant is intact. My trench has the same texture as when I bought it.

I don't use any spray as my trench doesn't smell. Maybe air it out inside out after using it. I can't recommend any sprays because I have never used them.

If you want to try it yourself, do it on a small spot inside the coat for peace of mind.
Again a massive thank your your help and kindness to provide all these informations :heart: I will investigate into soap I can buy.

Didn't thought about to let it breath and fresh air from inside out ! Nice tip.

Reactions: jess236
After handwashing with cold water & a bit of Woolite, it's definitely cleaner (I wear this thing all around the city and random gunk gets on it). There was a brief moment as I watched the water absorb into the jacket

I never dunked my entire trench in water - just spot cleaning the dirty areas.

Hello all, firstly thank you for the discussion. I've read all 5 pages and would like to get some additional thoughts if I may.

1. Is it OK to dunk the whole jacket in water?
2. If yes, how to protect the leather pieces or are they fine?
3. Or do we mean in this thread washing = spot cleaning?

I just bought a Chelsea dark blue trench. Outer and lining material 100% cotton, sleeve lining viscose. Dry cleaning instruction is to clean inside out.

It is SO gorgeous and I am thinking ahead. In between uses I plan to air and steam it to refresh.

Customer Service cannot recommend any dry cleaner as a corporate policy and advise me not to clean with any cleaner who is not familiar with Burberry. Honestly I do not trust any cleaner in this tiny town of Switzerland where luxury is frowned upon (unlike in glitzy Zürich which they hate with a passion).

I handwash all my silk and cashmere Hermes scarf so I want to experiment with my coat. Better ruined in my hands than some unknown cleaners.

Thank you for your help and hints.

Hello all, firstly thank you for the discussion. I've read all 5 pages and would like to get some additional thoughts if I may.

1. Is it OK to dunk the whole jacket in water?
2. If yes, how to protect the leather pieces or are they fine?
3. Or do we mean in this thread washing = spot cleaning?

I just bought a Chelsea dark blue trench. Outer and lining material 100% cotton, sleeve lining viscose. Dry cleaning instruction is to clean inside out.

It is SO gorgeous and I am thinking ahead. In between uses I plan to air and steam it to refresh.

Customer Service cannot recommend any dry cleaner as a corporate policy and advise me not to clean with any cleaner who is not familiar with Burberry. Honestly I do not trust any cleaner in this tiny town of Switzerland where luxury is frowned upon (unlike in glitzy Zürich which they hate with a passion).

I handwash all my silk and cashmere Hermes scarf so I want to experiment with my coat. Better ruined in my hands than some unknown cleaners.

Thank you for your help and hints.

As you read the whole thread, you noted that some people dunked the entire coat in water. I only spot clean mine. If your trench coat has leather pieces, I definitely would not dunk the whole thing in water. Even dry cleaners have to protect the leather parts by wrapping them.

It's always wise to spot clean first - maybe on the interior of the coat. If all is good, then spot clean areas that are dirty.

I never washed my trench coats, they are too expensive to take the risk to wash, I baby them, never wear them close to any food or drink, wear a scarf when wear them to protect the collar. I don't see the need to wash.