I washed my Burberry trench instead of dry cleaning

As you read the whole thread, you noted that some people dunked the entire coat in water. I only spot clean mine. If your trench coat has leather pieces, I definitely would not dunk the whole thing in water. Even dry cleaners have to protect the leather parts by wrapping them.

It's always wise to spot clean first - maybe on the interior of the coat. If all is good, then spot clean areas that are dirty.
Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.

I just ordered my first Bubrberry Kensington Heritage trench in black from Harrod's. I am so excited, but after reading this thread about caring for it, I am scared lol. The dry cleaners have shrunk a few of my cashmere sweaters in the past, so I no longer take them in. I wash them home and it has been fine. However, I am so particular about how my clothes look, the creases from washing will bother me so much. Luxury is so high maintenace 😅

Reactions: Edonis06
Hello all, firstly thank you for the discussion. I've read all 5 pages and would like to get some additional thoughts if I may.

1. Is it OK to dunk the whole jacket in water?
2. If yes, how to protect the leather pieces or are they fine?
3. Or do we mean in this thread washing = spot cleaning?

I just bought a Chelsea dark blue trench. Outer and lining material 100% cotton, sleeve lining viscose. Dry cleaning instruction is to clean inside out.

It is SO gorgeous and I am thinking ahead. In between uses I plan to air and steam it to refresh.

Customer Service cannot recommend any dry cleaner as a corporate policy and advise me not to clean with any cleaner who is not familiar with Burberry. Honestly I do not trust any cleaner in this tiny town of Switzerland where luxury is frowned upon (unlike in glitzy Zürich which they hate with a passion).

I handwash all my silk and cashmere Hermes scarf so I want to experiment with my coat. Better ruined in my hands than some unknown cleaners.

Thank you for your help and hints.
Do you happy to have any recommendation for dry cleaners int he glitzy Zurich? :P
I don’t trust my own hand washing for my heritage Kensington trench…

If you are willing to make the investment, another option to clean expensive items is the at-home LG Styler. It cleans, deodorizes, removes wrinkles and refreshes clothes without chemicals.

Last edited:
I saw a few comments in here about people’s trench coats become lighter at various spots, such as where something rubs against the coat or at folds. Is anyone else experiencing this? I’ve had this problem with my navy Kensington trench and although Burberry has been very helpful (swapped out several coats for me), they have no explanation. It’s maddening. Does anyone know if this might be happening because the waterproofing is coming off at those spots? This was my only guess but Burberry does not seem to think so. Any advice would be appreciated!

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone knows why some Burberry trenches have a red pen mark on their labels. I saw a few with that... Thank you in advance.
Not sure if this is definitely true of Burberry, but for some other brands, a pen mark through the label sometimes means it was sold directly to a company staff member at a private "friends and family" sale run by the company.