I washed my Burberry trench instead of dry cleaning

Sorry to revive an old thread! Thanks so much for sharing this - do you think it would work for the Heritage trench coats? I'd like to do some spot cleaning as I don't have a trusted dry cleaner that I go to.

Reactions: jess236
Sorry to revive an old thread! Thanks so much for sharing this - do you think it would work for the Heritage trench coats? I'd like to do some spot cleaning as I don't have a trusted dry cleaner that I go to.

My trench coat is a poly-cotton blend with viscose lining. If your trench coat is cotton, then it should be fine - as long as it doesn't have any satin, lace or leather. Try out a small area on the inside of the coat just to be certain. Also make sure you use a colorless soap. I used baby shampoo.

I also spot cleaned my trench - pocket area and collar and it removed the dirty completely.

Good luck! :smile:

iI've put two Burberry trenches in the washing machine before with great success. I also tried a Gucci handbag, which also went well! I have a fabric Chanel key holder that I'm tempted to try.. but worried about the authenticity sticker. Washing machines are great for the daring :biggrin:

Although I do have a Burberry Brit dress which would snugly fit a doll..

Reactions: Nusse
You are so brave. Kudos to you! I have quite a few Burberry trench as well as cashmere scarves and Brit quilted weekend coats and I would be TERRIFIED to wash them! Glad your decision turned out well! Whew! :biggrin::biggrin::smile::smile::biggrin::biggrin:

You are so brave. Kudos to you! I have quite a few Burberry trench as well as cashmere scarves and Brit quilted weekend coats and I would be TERRIFIED to wash them! Glad your decision turned out well! Whew! :biggrin::biggrin::smile::smile::biggrin::biggrin:

I was more terrified to take it to the dry cleaner. :smile:
I washed my camel check cashmere scarf as well. Since I was my cashmere sweaters, this wasn't a leap for me. They always come out great.

I have the same dilemma about dry cleaners and I currently have a stain issue that I'm not entirely sure if this can resolve. I wore my trench on a rainy day and didn't bring my umbrella. My black leather bag got wet and ended up staining my coat and now the outlines of the strap are clearly visible. I contacted Burberry and they said I can arrange a visit to assess whether the stain can be treated in-house- I don't want to make the trip unless there are no workarounds. Any recommendations on how to deal with this?

I have the same dilemma about dry cleaners and I currently have a stain issue that I'm not entirely sure if this can resolve. I wore my trench on a rainy day and didn't bring my umbrella. My black leather bag got wet and ended up staining my coat and now the outlines of the strap are clearly visible. I contacted Burberry and they said I can arrange a visit to assess whether the stain can be treated in-house- I don't want to make the trip unless there are no workarounds. Any recommendations on how to deal with this?

I approached Burberry about reviving the black color of a Prorsum trench, and they told me also that I can make an appointment to bring it in for an evaluation. They also wanted a proof of purchase from Burberry, which surprised me. I guess they won't stand by their product unless you bought it directly from them!

iI've put two Burberry trenches in the washing machine before with great success. I also tried a Gucci handbag, which also went well! I have a fabric Chanel key holder that I'm tempted to try.. but worried about the authenticity sticker. Washing machines are great for the daring :biggrin:

Although I do have a Burberry Brit dress which would snugly fit a doll..
I could never put a burberry trench in the washing mashine but I can kind of understand if someone else did. But a handbag? In the washing mashine? :wtf:
You are very brave

Reactions: Lalaloopsy12345
I'd spot cleaned my honey trench collar a few times, and this past weekend I dunked my entire trench coat to hand wash it...

... and it looks fine!

It's a Sandringham trench that I had previously brought to dry cleaners, but they shrank it :doh: So I've been cautious about dry cleaning any of my trenches since then... I even called our Burberry store for their recommended dry cleaner, which turns out is $$$$ and has terrible reviews on Yelp.

After handwashing with cold water & a bit of Woolite, it's definitely cleaner (I wear this thing all around the city and random gunk gets on it). There was a brief moment as I watched the water absorb into the jacket that I thought "I'm either winning at life and saving a TON of money on dry cleaning, or I just washed $1.5k down the drain, literally :oh:". Thankfully, it worked out - I just need to steam / iron it to get that nice, pressed look again!

It's a Sandringham trench that I had previously brought to dry cleaners, but they shrank it :doh: So I've been cautious about dry cleaning any of my trenches since then... I even called our Burberry store for their recommended dry cleaner, which turns out is $$$$ and has terrible reviews on Yelp.
Where is this cleaner located?

I was told at my Burberry that when it comes time to dry clean, I could bring it back into the store and they'd ship it out to NY to be dry cleaned and looked over meticulously (seams and buttons). I assumed every Burberry store used this same person.

Also, is your coat still water repellent after hand washing?