I got the OK for a Puppy!!!!

angel81chick

Jan 25, 2007
:wlae:

I will have to wait until March, but at least I finally got the OK for me to have a puppy!! I am sooooo excited!!!

Thinking about a yorkie or a maltese....can someone give me an idea of what they are really like?

:yahoo:

congrats! i suggest going to a dog show (infodog.com has a list sorted by state) and meeting the dogs and breeders to choose which breed you'd like. you can also find a great breeder there. do lots of research on the internet too to decide which breed. whatever you do, don't buy from a pet store! you can always do rescue, you can save a dog's life and get a new dog at the same time :smile:

awww it is so much fun and b/c of the constant yipping and peeing u dont appreciate it at the time.. but remember this and enjoy them while theyre so little and cute and doofy!!

CONGRATS Angel81chick!!!! You must be sososo excited!! Puppy's are the best gymangel812 gave THE BEST advice for getting a new puppy, the best place is a breeder referred from a dog show, or a rescue. Pet stores are BAD.

Anyhoo I have a Yorkie (his pic is my Av) he is the love of my life. Literally, I love him to peices, and IMO yorkies are great dogs, smart and great personalities, they are silly and loving. I cant say enough good.

I have a maltese and I love her sooooooo much. And yes I treat her like she's my daughter. If you get a maltese, just be prepared to show it alot of affection which I'm sure you will because they are so cute. My maltese is pretty well behaved but I wish I would have trained her a little better to do tricks when she was a puppy.

Wow...thanks so much everyone.

Never thought of going to a dogshow...will definitely have to do that.

I have so much research ahead of me...but the only 2 conditions I was given were that it has to be a small dog and i have to take a week off when i get it so that i can assimilate the puppy with the 2 cats....i guess...but who cares!! I get a puppy!! :yahoo:

Definitely no on pet stores....was thinking about a rescue dog...all our animals have been rescued!

Congrats! So happy to hear you're thinking of a rescue. petfinder is a great spot to find a rescue. You may want to consider an older dog (2 -3) small dogs live longer and a lot of them will be over the constant chewing and some may be house trained too. I would also recommend googling "dog breed selector" for some help figuring out what breed fits in with your lifestyle/personality/household. Googling the different breeds should also help you get a good idea of what type of dog will work best for you. Congrats again!