I got a wallet... :(

PickyCoachLover

MoreRoseGoldPlease
O.G.
Jun 9, 2010
What should I do? I purchased a "gently used" Legacy wallet last week, and it got here...and I am disappointed. It is dirty, the white on the stripes is beige, and the change part is terrible. The ad said no stains or damage of any kind, yet the metallic has rubbed off and the only good part of it is the inside with the card slots.
Pics:
009-4.jpg

006-1.jpg

007.jpg

Seller said I could have a refund upon returning, but for the price I paid (cheap) I feel like maybe I should keep it and rehab it. Any tips on doing that?

Or should I just return it?

Honestly, I would return it. It looks awful in your pics. I don't know if there is anything you can do about the rubbed places either. Seller is crazy out of here mind with her description.

Ugh!!! I'm sorry this happened. Dishonest sellers irritate me so much! If you think you could live with the flaws and actually use the wallet, I would keep it. But, if you don't think you will use it, I would just return it. I would also ask the seller for a full refund including shipping plus the cost of return shipping. I know the general rule is that the buyer pays for return shipping, but when the item does not even remotely match the description in the listing, I think the cost of return shipping should be the responsibility of the seller.

If you do decide to keep the wallet, you might try baby wipes. I have had some success with those.

*Sigh*

I really do not have the time or money to go to the post office and return it (with insurance and all of that)...especially on my dime. I got it for less than $100, and it just feels like a waste of time to go through all of that.
I am going to email the seller again and tell her I am keeping it...Since I got it so cheap, I will try to rehab it after the holidays. I know the metallic edging is a lost cause, but maybe I can lighten the dark parts of it a little. Make it more presentable.
The change part is the really bad part...the rest is okay...for the most part. You cannot tell the edging is bad unless you get right up on it.
This wallet is rare, and goes for no less than $150 on ebay and Bonz...and I have been wanting it for some time.

I like the wallet but can't believe people are so dishonest!!! If the seller is willing to refund your money, I would send it back. If you want a challenge and try to rehab it, then keep it. I would try Ivory Liquid Dish soap (Clear or White) and a damp cloth on it, if you keep it!

Good Luck!!!

Lynne :biggrin:

Oh wow, that really came in crappy condition...I have sold a couple things on ebay but if I owned an item like that I probably would have thrown it out or donated, not even attempted to sell. I am sorry it came like that. You may want to talk to Bunny, isn't she rehab expert on the forum?

What should I do? I purchased a "gently used" Legacy wallet last week, and it got here...and I am disappointed. It is dirty, the white on the stripes is beige, and the change part is terrible. The ad said no stains or damage of any kind, yet the metallic has rubbed off and the only good part of it is the inside with the card slots.
Pics:
009-4.jpg

006-1.jpg

007.jpg

Seller said I could have a refund upon returning, but for the price I paid (cheap) I feel like maybe I should keep it and rehab it. Any tips on doing that?

Or should I just return it?
Wow, that's awful! I wish these ebay sellers were honest about the condition of their products. It's shameful and dishonest. I hope that you send it back. It's not worth it. Good luck!

If you are not happy send it back to the seller by prority mail and delivery confirmation. I have been dealing with alot of dishonest sellers not mailing items out or sending me the item and it is in worst shape than stated in their ad. Don't keep it.

If you don't want to return it, I would ask the seller for a partial refund due to its poor condition.

ITA!

Gently used IMO means it doesn't have that "crisp" brand new feeling. From the pics, the wallet should have been described as "nicely worn". It shows obvious signs of wear. I would have specifically noted the coin pouch and wear on the edges. It's only right.

However it sounds like you really like it, so I say contact the seller and let them know you are disappointed (give specifics) and ask that you compromise and get a little refund. I am hopeful that you can remove some of the wear and enjoy your new wallet:biggrin:

I respectfully disagree on that OP should ask for partial refund.

I see requests for partial refunds come in all the time reading in the Ebay forum here on TPF about people who have buyers wanting them so they leave good feedback and about sellers who offer a partial refund to have the buyer realize that getting $ back is better than the hassle of trying to return and ship for a refund (not to mention sellers want to avoid buyers who make claims as that can limit seller's power in sales later on).

I don't see how a partial refund will "fix" the problem. Metallic edging is gone, it won't come back, even with the best and most experienced dye expert who takes the care to do it right and slowly.

I'm not sure that Oxi-clean spray or Grandma's secret could clean the stains.

I would return, return, return! I know it's a hassle, but even though you got it a a great price, it's NOT a great piece. I personally would NOT be ok with it, and even "I" have taken some legacy stripe satin items that weren't perfect, but with a "SMALL" amount of metallic edging wear and no stains.