I don't know why people say things like they can't afford LV so they buy Coach

when you use the words "ugly" and "hate" you sure are going to get some people taking things personally. why do you care so much about why people like an certain brand? there is no one answer. you seem to suggest that its just because they are expensive or that there is some status attached to it and yeah, sure for some there is. But to clump everyone into that is just not very nice. I'm sure there are people who buy Coach for that very reason as well because afterall, not everyone can afford Coach either. And you say you don't care if people bash Coach yet you began this thread because of that very reason by your own admission....
I am not "clumping people" I am merely trying to understand and I appreciate everyone's imput. I was starting to think that something was wrong with me because I didn't find these types of bags attractive but now I have learned that some people like them, some people like both coach lv and other brands, some people do not like them and think they are plastic, etc. There was a thread on here about Coach and how the outlet stores sell "poor quality ugly styles" and "since they went to the chinese manufacturer that they are of less quality" but nobody got all bent out of shape about that post. I guess this is a more important and touchy subject than I had anticipated.

I think the point MamadukeOz was trying to make(and I agree with) is what handbag you like or don't like isn't worth getting upset over. We should come here do our shallow obssesing without breaking a blood vessel over it. Personally, I come here to have fun and not feel guilty about talking about my bags and what I have spent. I can't do that IRL. When I am here I don't worry about society, work, illness,etc. I just hear Cyndi Lauper singing "Girls just want to have fun...". Come on girls, let's dance! :party:

nothing is wrong with you for not liking any bag. I don't like certain brands but that is just my personal taste and I leave it at that. I don't need to know why someone else likes something that I don't but I'm not about to go so far as to say I don't because I think they are "ugly" and provoke a bunch of other people to come in and say the same hurtful thing. I don't just stick up for LV people either, I'm no Dooney and Bourke fan but believe me if anyone came in and calls those bags ugly I would be the first in there to defend those gals. (I guess its my maternal instinct.) Sorry to be so harsh but these threads just make me crabby. And again, you keep saying how you don't care if anyone bashes Coach but you do and thats okay. Just ignore those posts or come out like I do and tell the poster how hurtful you think they are being. I'll try to find other threads that are like this one so you can see how they end up...
:yes:
I am not "clumping people" I am merely trying to understand and I appreciate everyone's imput. I was starting to think that something was wrong with me because I didn't find these types of bags attractive but now I have learned that some people like them, some people like both coach lv and other brands, some people do not like them and think they are plastic, etc. There was a thread on here about Coach and how the outlet stores sell "poor quality ugly styles" and "since they went to the chinese manufacturer that they are of less quality" but nobody got all bent out of shape about that post. I guess this is a more important and touchy subject than I had anticipated.

I have never heard "bag snobs" say negative things about Lv that I hear them say about Coach, for example " I used to collect Coach too when I was a teenager then moved on to other (translate better brands) things", and "Coach just screams middle class to me"

Anyone who would put someone else down for being "middle class" and who truly, honestly judges another person by the handbag they carry is someone whose opinion I don't really care about. If someone is going to be that petty or judgmental then the last thing I'm going to do is listen to them natter about what kinds of handbags they think are beneath their status. Just ignore them, they're not worth your time!

Just enjoy your Coach or LV or whatever your favourite bag is, and think all about how much you love your bags instead of how much other people don't like them.

I guess I was focusing on the brand more than the person carrying them. I am happy to have all of this valuable information but feel bad that it triggered the response that it did for some people. I guess this isn't a place for comparison and contrasting views, just a place to talk about what we love : )

I guess I was focusing on the brand more than the person carrying them. I am happy to have all of this valuable information but feel bad that it triggered the response that it did for some people. I guess this isn't a place for comparison and contrasting views, just a place to talk about what we love : )

contrasting views are fine as long as tact and respect are used. like I said, it was more how you worded things - you didn't say, "I'm not an LV fan" you called the bags ugly and plastic looking and not sure if it was you or another that said, they all look fake, blah, blah, blah. I know everyone here is intelligent enough to understand why those comments are uncalled for and not a constructive discussion about bags - just a put down plain and simple. KWIM?

:smile: HI! I think variety is key and that everybody needs a little big of something!

pics112.jpg

It may be OT, but that is a GORGEOUS collection of bags you have there, frozen alaska!:wtf:

Anyone who would put someone else down for being "middle class" and who truly, honestly judges another person by the handbag they carry is someone whose opinion I don't really care about. If someone is going to be that petty or judgmental then the last thing I'm going to do is listen to them natter about what kinds of handbags they think are beneath their status. Just ignore them, they're not worth your time!

Just enjoy your Coach or LV or whatever your favourite bag is, and think all about how much you love your bags instead of how much other people don't like them.
That is excellent advice, thank you ! my favorite bag that I carry is actually a diaper bag believe it or not !

To each his own, I don't understand the LV thing and wouldn't even buy one if someone gave me the money to do so.

They're just not very distinctive...the pattern is but to me, every bag looks like every other bag lol. Maybe someday I'll get it (dh hopes not).

here is a similar thread from the D&B forum. There are alot of responses in here that might interest you...

http://forum.purseblog.com/dooney-and-bourke/so-whats-deal-why-so-many-here-down-118395.html
I read the thread thank you. I think the issue in that forum was that someone was bashing Dooney in their own forum. I would never post that I think LV is ugly in their own forum, that would just be stupid. I really was just reading about other purse discrimination where people bash Coach and thought I would post my opinion and see what other people think. Also It was meant to be lighthearted and frivolous but people took it way more seriously than I thought !

I read the thread thank you. I think the issue in that forum was that someone was bashing Dooney in their own forum. I would never post that I think LV is ugly in their own forum, that would just be stupid. I really was just reading about other purse discrimination where people bash Coach and thought I would post my opinion and see what other people think. Also It was meant to be lighthearted and frivolous but people took it way more seriously than I thought !

yeah, I'm not mad at you or anything - just a crabapple! I had to learn how to word things too and I'm not always successful either. its so easy to be insulting in here when you don't intend to be. That D&B thread is a good example how nerves can be touched though....;)

and p.s. just ignore the Coach bashers in the end. or any bashers for that matter....

I started out with Coach, then moved to more expensive designer bags. I've had Dior, Chloe, Balenciaga, Hogan, Tods, etc. But lately I have come back to Coach. After a series of disappointing very expensive bags (due to poor quality control) I decided that Coach suits my needs, and the quality seems more consistent than other designers. And it is more affordable...so either way I win! I have never tried LV, but that is mostly because they are not full leather. the only LV bag that I really love is $14,000 anyway, so I can't afford it!

yeah, I'm not mad at you or anything - just a crabapple! I had to learn how to word things too and I'm not always successful either. its so easy to be insulting in here when you don't intend to be. That D&B thread is a good example how nerves can be touched though....;)

and p.s. just ignore the Coach bashers in the end. or any bashers for that matter....
Thank you:smile: I really enjoy TPF so I really don't people to be mad at me or think I am trying to cause trouble. That is good advice !

I was a Coach fan a few years ago and that's all I owned at the time. I did get bored with Coach and branched out to other bags, mainly Isabella Fiore. I went through that phase and then bought myself a bag that cost 3x as much as I had ever paid for a bag before, a Balenciaga City. I liked it, but definitely didn't feel that it was worth that kind of money. It just wasn't for me. So, I came back to Coach and just at the end of last month, I purchased a signature gallery tote and love it. But, I also just ordered my first LV last week, a mono speedy, and love her too! I never was into LV much at all but since I've been wandering around in all these forums, I found what beautiful bags LV's are!!