I can't afford this forum

I've noticed that I have become sad about how out of reach most of these items are for me personally. I've been internally judging myself and even my husband for not making as much money as others, and feeling like a loser/failure for not earning to my potential. Also, I married a blue collar nice-guy. Sweetest guy around but doesn't make much, so I've always been the larger income earner. That never really bothered me until I started wishing I had money to buy beautiful things, go on vacations, etc. and realizing that it will never happen at our income level. I used to be content with the fact that we have average to slightly-above average family income. We save for retirement, pay our mortgage, etc. But the house is small and there isn't much left over for extras like handbags or jewelry.

Most of the folks on here have been really awesome and kind. The forum itself is great. I just personally am finding that my inner self confidence has taken a real hit by frequent exposure to people who are so far beyond my own income level. It is difficult not to feel "less than" when everyone else has so much more.
I have not read the other responses to this yet, so am only replying with the original post's content in mind.

I want to offer you a virtual hug, first and foremost. It is heart breaking when we feel less than, in any area of life. It shakes you to your core and totally erases your confidence. I hope you're able to rid yourself of that feeling, because you are enough, just as you are. You are not falling behind and failing to reach your potential, as you currently feel. Those metrics are all arbitrary and you don't need to be boxed in by them.
I would actually say that you're ahead of the curve. From what you have shared, it's clear you have your intelligence, strength of character and a kind nature. You have a loving husband who provides love and safety, if not a new Cartier every week (I know which of those I find more precious). You have a house that you can maintain, not so grand that it causes stress. You have money for retirement and your mortgage! You are, objectively speaking, well ahead of a lot of people in this world. Don't let a few pretty trinkets that you can't attain currently- but may attain someday- blind you to the wealth you already possess (the love and stability in your life, which is priceless).

I hope you'll forgive me for a me-rail; this is about to get personal.
I, like you, probably don't belong here. My most expensive bag is $350. I have a few that are just shy of that amount, but the majority of my bags are cheaper. My bags are made of wonderful leather, they are unique and many are handmade. Still, looking at them objectively, they're worth nothing. Many were stitched in a hut, in a village, in a developing country. Some people would scoff, I'm sure. They do not measure up to H bags (for instance) in any way, shape or form. However, in my life, in my world, they are worth far more. That is enough for me. I am able to celebrate other people's more expensive possessions more as a result of feeling content.
Those expensive things work for those people, with their budgets, with their lifestyles, with their personal tastes and styles. I find true joy in their joy. I have said this many times here but, I don't feel the need to own the things I find beautiful. I can appreciate them just as much, if not more, on other people (who are a better fit for that item).
If you can find that place within yourself, you will feel so much lighter. You are enough; everyone is. We all get a different set of circumstances and someone will always be funnier, smarter, prettier, richer. It's okay! You get what you get, so I try to find joy within those parameters that are set for me and accept that I may never play in the bigger sandbox. I'll make my own games in my smaller sandbox and be thankful for the ability to do that.

As for not reaching one's full potential or falling behind the curve, I am a perfect example of this. I came from little but was gifted with a loving mother, a chance at a great education, strong principles, and exposure to those less fortunate. What a great starting point! I took that and made something of myself. At one point, I had a disposable income (hurray)! I spoiled myself during that time and I'm glad I got to enjoy that experience of abundance for a brief period.
Then I had a series of personal crises that upended my life.
I fell so low, so fast and so hard, I still cannot wrap my head around it.
Through no action of my own, I lost everything. Not just material items but my health, my looks, my career and friends....just everything. Any and all potential I had, along with every privilege I was afforded (including a loving parent and an education), has been wasted because, look where I am now- rock bottom. I feel tremendous guilt and shame around this. I wanted to be someone whom my loved ones would be proud of. I'm just a failure in the end; certainly a failure by other people's standards.
Now, I really don't belong on tpf.
However, I have never been made to feel that I don't belong on here! In fact, it's quite the opposite! I've been welcomed with open arms and reassured that I will survive this difficult chapter. My "cheap" bag collection has been celebrated as much as any coveted HG bag. The people here, as you said, are kind and generous, friendly and warm. They don't exclude you. They don't judge you. There is wisdom here and an innate understanding that different people have different circumstances. Nobody is saying they are better or that we are not. Many here have walked the same path and are only now getting the financial freedom to spoil themselves, so they remember what it was like to have less and would never judge others for that.

The friends I've made here are truly the best people I have ever known. They are not obligated to read or reply to my posts, or to offer advice and support, yet they choose to! They choose to be kind, while they know that I am, by society's current standards, not as good or worthy as they are. That is priceless to me. It humbles me every time I post here.
While I understand your need to step back and reassess how good this is for you, I want you to know that you are not being judged here, just as I'm not being judged here. The kindness and generosity I have received is not exclusive to me. I have seen it extended to everyone. The only person judging you is yourself (we are all our own worst critics). It's an unnecessary burden that you have placed on your shoulders and I hope you can let it go and be free.

I hope it gives you comfort to know that a) you're not the least privileged here, b) we all belong to the group regardless of our financial status, and c) absolutely nobody will make you feel excluded here and everyone wants you to play with them! You don't have to bring your own Birkin to attend the tpf party. Just bring good vibes (which you already do).

To be clear, I am not dismissing your experience at all. I must admit that there is the occasional post that will aggravate me. There are a handful here that simply don't recognize their privilege and act like they're hard done by when, really, they're beyond blessed. I wouldn't mind if they took their privilege for granted but, when they bemoan their bad luck, I could (and have) cried because it's so tone-deaf.
So, I won't lie, sometimes I get very hurt by the nature of some of those posts. The ones boasting and complaining in the same breath, completely unaware that while they're upset they can't buy yet another diamond or bespoke piece this week, some of us have been in a war zone, or struggling to pay bills, or in hospital fighting for our lives, or going hungry (I won't tell you how many of those boxes I personally ticked in recent years, but several for sure).
Sometimes I even see people openly envying others' wealth (in the most passive-aggressive way possible) and I really wonder, why? If you judge them for having too much, what would you think of me at the other end of the spectrum? How harshly would you judge me?
Thankfully that rarely happens, but when it does, it wrecks my self-esteem. Reading your op, I was nodding along in parts.
So I really feel you when you say that coming here can impact your mental health. Sometimes, some days, when I'm already vulnerable, some posts really cut me to the bone. I totally get it.
However, that's not the responsibility of tpf or those posters. That minority simply can't imagine the ripple effect of their words and attitude. It hurts but only because I let it hurt. When this happens, I log off and take a deep breath. I find gratitude within myself. I am grateful for what I once had, even if it is lost. I am grateful to be here and see what joy looks like for other people in other parts of the world. I am grateful that I am welcomed, in spite of being a terrible fit.
I am hopeful I'll be worthy as a human being, if not financially worthy, of keeping the people in this community company.

Above all, I am hopeful people can tell from my posts that I never covet their belongings when I praise them, but merely share their joy with a sincere happiness for their good fortune.

Which is all to say, some days I feel like you do so I can't say you should not feel that way, because we're human and feelings are what they are. The solution for me is that I give myself the space to re-centre and then return happier for having done so. Remember that you have love and stability, which is the most important thing in life. Enjoy whatever you own because you chose those things, you worked for them and you bought them because they brought you joy. Re-centre.
You don't need the extra stuff to be fulfilled. You can enjoy the beautiful extras on other people, without feeling less-than, once you remember that you are intrinsically worthy, intrinsically enough, just as you are, and that whatever your belongings, they are only as valuable as you make them.
Use your things and live your life with them (don't just display them for show), and soon they'll be all that you need. They'll be more enviable and valuable than any designer good because they'll hold memories of your life within them! That bracelet you wore to your best friend's birthday, this bag that you carried on your first holiday in a decade, this scarf your baby spilled her juice on...the memories make the value!

I have no idea if this offers you comfort. I just know that this is how I manage and it has always served me well. Wishing you all the best and hoping you are able to find peace being amongst this community because, you are wanted here and you do belong!:hugs:

Edit to add:
If you choose to remain on forum, perhaps limit exposure to some of the threads that you find triggering.
This is such a simple thing but it helps so much! Remove anything from your feed that doesn't serve you. Your mental health is a priority. If something makes you feel down, just put it on ignore (be it a specific thread or a full forum). It's a great tool and will change the way you experience tpf for the better!

Final edit: Typos and also, as I'm reading on, I realise that what I've shared above is not what you wanted to hear at all. I'm genuinely sorry your experience of being on here "only highlighted how unfair life is". I hope you find some peace from the decision to step back. You deserve to feel happy and content, and you should absolutely only pursue hobbies and environments that support that personal goal.
Thank you for prompting the discussion. It's incredibly insightful.

Last edited:
But I think the fact you had a "collection" to lose. . . twice, means you're in a different place financially. Also, you are "healthy and have a comfortable life" but unfortunately I cannot say the same, especially with regards to health. It is harder for people to judge those whose lives are vastly different, so generally its best not to try.

I feel like there will be a lot of judgement now based on this post.
I had initially decided not to respond to this portion but, it's making me uneasy the more I sit with it.
@caruava has shared something very vulnerable- the loss of her possessions twice- and you have judged her for it, while ironically commenting on how you feel judged. Everyone has welcomed your position and offered insight and support, not judgement, from what I can see.
While I appreciate that you're posting from a place of defensiveness/hurt, I would hope that you can emphasize with this situation, rather than lament her "good fortune" to be able to rebuild her collection twice, or that she has a comfortable life (which you yourself have, as described in your OP).
People who lose their collections often do so under really difficult personal circumstances, be it a fire or crippling medical emergencies that require liquidation, burglary or even the need to escape an abuser with nothing but the clothes on your back. Obviously, I have no way of knowing what @caruava has experienced, but it's not easy to lose everything and rebuild. She should be commended for that, not judged.
Perhaps you didn't mean this as you expressed it but, I feel the need to ask you to show the kindness you want to see, because we're all being vulnerable and it's hard to be criticized for it in what should be a safe space.

I don't want to step on any of the more affluent people's toes here so pls no one take this personally. But also, regarding feeling bad about not reaching your "potential" - a vast majority of the people with enviable levels of affluence acquired their wealth through either pure luck or they acquired their wealth in less than savory ways. I don't even mean to an extreme degree. Just that I don't imagine a majority of the luxury consumer market is comprised of life-saving heart surgeons and their wives yk.
I won't deny that a lot of people have been born into wealth (luck) or have done some questionable things to attain wealth (business or otherwise), but such a sweeping generalization seems out of bounds. Since this thread is about tpf, I'd like to point out that a lot of people here are actually from the demographic you're ruling out: namely, those in service. We have serving and retired veterans, medical missionaries, nurses and doctors who were on the frontlines during covid and save lives in operating theatres everyday; as well as lawyers, psychiatrists, police officers and all "their wives" (as you put it). We also have hard working retail workers, students, small business owners, artists, corporate executives and the like. All people who don't necessarily make a lot but work hard, save up and have nice things.
The world is full of grey areas, including what affluence means and how it is come by. That doesn't mean shady dealings, it just means there are many different (legitimate and noble) routes that can be taken to reach the end goal.

No offence to either of you, but I wanted to give some perspective, since sometimes these nuances can be lost in these discussions. We can start to talk of things in extremes when, in reality, it's a wide continuum from one extreme to the other.

Absolutely not. Living within one's means is important. I know what my priorities are and I'm secure in myself. I don't compare to others. My closest friends earn much more than I do and they can buy things I want more often than I can and I'm happy for them. It's their money to spend and I celebrate with them when they make major purchases! I've lost my collection 2x out of no choice of my own with the most recent being last year. I can't just replace everything but I'm super grateful for things not being worse and I'm happy with what I have.

That key for me, if you can't be happy with what you have, you'll always be wanting the next thing. I guess I look at the wider picture too. I'm healthy and I live a comfortable life (comfortable = have a good job, have a home, have someone who loves me and I can pay my bills). Life is good and I love it. All these other material things are not necessary, but they are nice if I have them. If not, life's still awesome.

Hope you can evolve om the way you're feeling.
AnnaLou, I hope you have an opportunity to re-read this thread again.
Many of these posts are insightful & "REAL"..
@caruava, @jblended have provided some very down to earth
& relatable comments
Life is beautiful & can be more fulfilling to you, if you choose to go down that path
& for the most part when put in perspective material things are not the end all, JMO

:yes:

This! Not everything we see online is real, and tPF is a really good example of this.

There are truly wealthy people here, those who get themselves into a ton of debt in order to buy what you see posted here, those who buy & reveal on tPF only to immediately return or resell, etc.

No one knows what life is *really* like for people who post their luxury purchases on this forum. Everyone has some type of curated online persona, whether intentional or not.
@jenayb's comment hits the nail on the head:
NO ONE KNOWS WHAT LIFE IS *really* like for people who post their luxury purchases
on this forum. Everyone has some type of curated online persona, whether intentional or not

Last edited:
I had initially decided not to respond to this portion but, it's making me uneasy the more I sit with it.
@caruava has shared something very vulnerable- the loss of her possessions twice- and you have judged her for it, while ironically commenting on how you feel judged. Everyone has welcomed your position and offered insight and support, not judgement, from what I can see.
While I appreciate that you're posting from a place of defensiveness/hurt, I would hope that you can emphasize with this situation, rather than lament her "good fortune" to be able to rebuild her collection twice, or that she has a comfortable life (which you yourself have, as described in your OP).
People who lose their collections often do so under really difficult personal circumstances, be it a fire or crippling medical emergencies that require liquidation, burglary or even the need to escape an abuser with nothing but the clothes on your back. Obviously, I have no way of knowing what @caruava has experienced, but it's not easy to lose everything and rebuild. She should be commended for that, not judged.
Perhaps you didn't mean this as you expressed it but, I feel the need to ask you to show the kindness you want to see, because we're all being vulnerable and it's hard to be criticized for it in what should be a safe space.

I won't deny that a lot of people have been born into wealth (luck) or have done some questionable things to attain wealth (business or otherwise), but such a sweeping generalization seems out of bounds. Since this thread is about tpf, I'd like to point out that a lot of people here are actually from the demographic you're ruling out: namely, those in service. We have serving and retired veterans, medical missionaries, nurses and doctors who were on the frontlines during covid and save lives in operating theatres everyday; as well as lawyers, psychiatrists, police officers and all "their wives" (as you put it). We also have hard working retail workers, students, small business owners, artists, corporate executives and the like. All people who don't necessarily make a lot but work hard, save up and have nice things.
The world is full of grey areas, including what affluence means and how it is come by. That doesn't mean shady dealings, it just means there are many different (legitimate and noble) routes that can be taken to reach the end goal.

No offence to either of you, but I wanted to give some perspective, since sometimes these nuances can be lost in these discussions. We can start to talk of things in extremes when, in reality, it's a wide continuum from one extreme to the other.

Extremely well written and well said. :yes:

I absolutely did NOT judge the poster for losing her possessions. That is a bit of a leap. I re-read what I wrote and am confident that in no way did I judge anyone for losing possessions or "lament her good fortune." In fact, I have stated multiple times that I am happy when people have nice things. I am VERY happy when people have good lives, which is even more important than having good "things." I would not and could not be unhappy or jealous of anyone having nice things.

Last edited:
I don't have the emotional energy to read this thread anymore. Even though it is an anonymous forum, it is still one's personal views and/or life experiences that are being reviewed and commented on, so it still feels personal. While most replies have been kind and supportive, I can't spend any more time or energy re-explaining anything for those who are misunderstanding. If the error is in my writing skills, then I can only apologize and say that I tried my best. Please know that I meant well and would not willingly or intentionally be hurtful or dismissive to anyone.

To everyone who has understood me and also to those who misunderstood but still responded generously and kindly, I really, truly appreciate it.

I actually didn't want this thread to be "all about me." I was hoping that if there were others who saw some of the same warning signs in themselves, that the original post might help them see it in themselves and allow them to think about whether changing their exposure to certain threads on this site might possibly be beneficial for them.

I should have been more clear on this, but I thought it would be a good place for others to possibly reflect on their own experience, which several folks have done. I sincerely thank those posters for sharing their experiences and allowing themselves to be vulnerable. It's tough to put oneself out there like that and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for joining me in that difficult endeavor to explore a tough subject that is so easily misunderstood. :heart:

Reactions: Kevinaxx and jennlt
I have not read the other responses to this yet, so am only replying with the original post's content in mind.

I want to offer you a virtual hug, first and foremost. It is heart breaking when we feel less than, in any area of life. It shakes you to your core and totally erases your confidence. I hope you're able to rid yourself of that feeling, because you are enough, just as you are. You are not falling behind and failing to reach your potential, as you currently feel. Those metrics are all arbitrary and you don't need to be boxed in by them.
I would actually say that you're ahead of the curve. From what you have shared, it's clear you have your intelligence, strength of character and a kind nature. You have a loving husband who provides love and safety, if not a new Cartier every week (I know which of those I find more precious). You have a house that you can maintain, not so grand that it causes stress. You have money for retirement and your mortgage! You are, objectively speaking, well ahead of a lot of people in this world. Don't let a few pretty trinkets that you can't attain currently- but may attain someday- blind you to the wealth you already possess (the love and stability in your life, which is priceless).

I hope you'll forgive me for a me-rail; this is about to get personal.
I, like you, probably don't belong here. My most expensive bag is $350. I have a few that are just shy of that amount, but the majority of my bags are cheaper. My bags are made of wonderful leather, they are unique and many are handmade. Still, looking at them objectively, they're worth nothing. Many were stitched in a hut, in a village, in a developing country. Some people would scoff, I'm sure. They do not measure up to H bags (for instance) in any way, shape or form. However, in my life, in my world, they are worth far more. That is enough for me. I am able to celebrate other people's more expensive possessions more as a result of feeling content.
Those expensive things work for those people, with their budgets, with their lifestyles, with their personal tastes and styles. I find true joy in their joy. I have said this many times here but, I don't feel the need to own the things I find beautiful. I can appreciate them just as much, if not more, on other people (who are a better fit for that item).
If you can find that place within yourself, you will feel so much lighter. You are enough; everyone is. We all get a different set of circumstances and someone will always be funnier, smarter, prettier, richer. It's okay! You get what you get, so I try to find joy within those parameters that are set for me and accept that I may never play in the bigger sandbox. I'll make my own games in my smaller sandbox and be thankful for the ability to do that.

As for not reaching one's full potential or falling behind the curve, I am a perfect example of this. I came from little but was gifted with a loving mother, a chance at a great education, strong principles, and exposure to those less fortunate. What a great starting point! I took that and made something of myself. At one point, I had a disposable income (hurray)! I spoiled myself during that time and I'm glad I got to enjoy that experience of abundance for a brief period.
Then I had a series of personal crises that upended my life.
I fell so low, so fast and so hard, I still cannot wrap my head around it.
Through no action of my own, I lost everything. Not just material items but my health, my looks, my career and friends....just everything. Any and all potential I had, along with every privilege I was afforded (including a loving parent and an education), has been wasted because, look where I am now- rock bottom. I feel tremendous guilt and shame around this. I wanted to be someone whom my loved ones would be proud of. I'm just a failure in the end; certainly a failure by other people's standards.
Now, I really don't belong on tpf.
However, I have never been made to feel that I don't belong on here! In fact, it's quite the opposite! I've been welcomed with open arms and reassured that I will survive this difficult chapter. My "cheap" bag collection has been celebrated as much as any coveted HG bag. The people here, as you said, are kind and generous, friendly and warm. They don't exclude you. They don't judge you. There is wisdom here and an innate understanding that different people have different circumstances. Nobody is saying they are better or that we are not. Many here have walked the same path and are only now getting the financial freedom to spoil themselves, so they remember what it was like to have less and would never judge others for that.

The friends I've made here are truly the best people I have ever known. They are not obligated to read or reply to my posts, or to offer advice and support, yet they choose to! They choose to be kind, while they know that I am, by society's current standards, not as good or worthy as they are. That is priceless to me. It humbles me every time I post here.
While I understand your need to step back and reassess how good this is for you, I want you to know that you are not being judged here, just as I'm not being judged here. The kindness and generosity I have received is not exclusive to me. I have seen it extended to everyone. The only person judging you is yourself (we are all our own worst critics). It's an unnecessary burden that you have placed on your shoulders and I hope you can let it go and be free.

I hope it gives you comfort to know that a) you're not the least privileged here, b) we all belong to the group regardless of our financial status, and c) absolutely nobody will make you feel excluded here and everyone wants you to play with them! You don't have to bring your own Birkin to attend the tpf party. Just bring good vibes (which you already do).

To be clear, I am not dismissing your experience at all. I must admit that there is the occasional post that will aggravate me. There are a handful here that simply don't recognize their privilege and act like they're hard done by when, really, they're beyond blessed. I wouldn't mind if they took their privilege for granted but, when they bemoan their bad luck, I could (and have) cried because it's so tone-deaf.
So, I won't lie, sometimes I get very hurt by the nature of some of those posts. The ones boasting and complaining in the same breath, completely unaware that while they're upset they can't buy yet another diamond or bespoke piece this week, some of us have been in a war zone, or struggling to pay bills, or in hospital fighting for our lives, or going hungry (I won't tell you how many of those boxes I personally ticked in recent years, but several for sure).
Sometimes I even see people openly envying others' wealth (in the most passive-aggressive way possible) and I really wonder, why? If you judge them for having too much, what would you think of me at the other end of the spectrum? How harshly would you judge me?
Thankfully that rarely happens, but when it does, it wrecks my self-esteem. Reading your op, I was nodding along in parts.
So I really feel you when you say that coming here can impact your mental health. Sometimes, some days, when I'm already vulnerable, some posts really cut me to the bone. I totally get it.
However, that's not the responsibility of tpf or those posters. That minority simply can't imagine the ripple effect of their words and attitude. It hurts but only because I let it hurt. When this happens, I log off and take a deep breath. I find gratitude within myself. I am grateful for what I once had, even if it is lost. I am grateful to be here and see what joy looks like for other people in other parts of the world. I am grateful that I am welcomed, in spite of being a terrible fit.
I am hopeful I'll be worthy as a human being, if not financially worthy, of keeping the people in this community company.

Above all, I am hopeful people can tell from my posts that I never covet their belongings when I praise them, but merely share their joy with a sincere happiness for their good fortune.

Which is all to say, some days I feel like you do so I can't say you should not feel that way, because we're human and feelings are what they are. The solution for me is that I give myself the space to re-centre and then return happier for having done so. Remember that you have love and stability, which is the most important thing in life. Enjoy whatever you own because you chose those things, you worked for them and you bought them because they brought you joy. Re-centre.
You don't need the extra stuff to be fulfilled. You can enjoy the beautiful extras on other people, without feeling less-than, once you remember that you are intrinsically worthy, intrinsically enough, just as you are, and that whatever your belongings, they are only as valuable as you make them.
Use your things and live your life with them (don't just display them for show), and soon they'll be all that you need. They'll be more enviable and valuable than any designer good because they'll hold memories of your life within them! That bracelet you wore to your best friend's birthday, this bag that you carried on your first holiday in a decade, this scarf your baby spilled her juice on...the memories make the value!

I have no idea if this offers you comfort. I just know that this is how I manage and it has always served me well. Wishing you all the best and hoping you are able to find peace being amongst this community because, you are wanted here and you do belong!:hugs:

Edit to add:

This is such a simple thing but it helps so much! Remove anything from your feed that doesn't serve you. Your mental health is a priority. If something makes you feel down, just put it on ignore (be it a specific thread or a full forum). It's a great tool and will change the way you experience tpf for the better!

Final edit: Typos and also, as I'm reading on, I realise that what I've shared above is not what you wanted to hear at all. I'm genuinely sorry your experience of being on here "only highlighted how unfair life is". I hope you find some peace from the decision to step back. You deserve to feel happy and content, and you should absolutely only pursue hobbies and environments that support that personal goal.
Thank you for prompting the discussion. It's incredibly insightful.
Thank you for this post. It shows understanding and kindness. I truly appreciate it and I can imagine that others will also relate and find comfort in many of the sentiments you express.

When you say that people, "can't imagine the ripple effect of their words and attitude," I would agree and in fact say that this is true of the positive things as well as the negative. Many of the positive things you say in this post are deeply meaningful.

With regards to the negative "ripple effects" that I am feeling, this is exactly why I am doing as you suggest and plan to "log off and take a deep breath" so that I can re-center around what is genuinely important to me and my life.

Thanks again for the kindness and compassion you demonstrate in this post.

those who respond with sensitivity, respect, and decency

I think everyone who has posted in response to OP has done so (or tried to do so) with utmost respect and sensitivity.
I do think that we can understand Op’s position, stated very eloquently here, even if we do not currently share her exact circumstances. That is bc we all have had obstacles and disappointments, along a continuum of one kind or other. I certainly do not mean to diminish any of Op’s points by saying so, and I think she is courageous to have started this thread.

I agree with your interpretation. I am simply responding to this only to make the point that all of us forget that the written words may be perceived very differently than our original intentions. (Op acknowledges the ripple effects of the responses in post 68 above). What we think of as stating something factually can appear judgmental to others who are simply reading the post. of course, any misunderstanding could have been cleared up or avoided if we were all simply having a friendly chat face to face. JMO, and I cannot speak as to the reactions of anyone else.

ETA: I believe I ‘logged off of TPF’ for about 8-10 years lol. Friends will be here waiting whenever one decides to return.

Last edited:
I absolutely did NOT judge the poster for losing her possessions. That is a bit of a leap. I re-read what I wrote and am confident that in no way did I judge anyone for losing possessions or "lament her good fortune." In fact, I have stated multiple times that I am happy when people have nice things. I am VERY happy when people have good lives, which is even more important than having good "things." I would not and could not be unhappy or jealous of anyone having nice things.
Perhaps you didn't mean it as such but that is how it came across, unfortunately. It happens on forums, though. As @880 mentioned, tone is hard to convey in writing. There have been many instances when I've had a bad day or I was tense for various reasons, and my posts have sounded harsher than I meant and/or have been misinterpreted.

With regards to the negative "ripple effects" that I am feeling, this is exactly why I am doing as you suggest and plan to "log off and take a deep breath" so that I can re-center around what is genuinely important to me and my life.
I'm glad you felt heard and understood. Thank you for the interesting discussion. Be well!

I don't have the emotional energy to read this thread anymore. Even though it is an anonymous forum, it is still one's personal views and/or life experiences that are being reviewed and commented on, so it still feels personal.
Yes, that's part of starting a thread I'm afraid..it becomes a discussion. This forum is for folks to enjoy, if for any reason logging on doesn't do that for you, don't.

I started feeling bad because it hit my weak spot of feeling like I haven't done enough to reach my potential
I struggled and still struggle with this ALOT. And then I remember that I dealt with a ton of psychological and health issues when I was younger and up to my mid 20s. The fact that none of that was ever obvious to an employer (all these are in fact still taboo in my industry) and I was still able to break into a competitive industry is my own definition of accomplishment.

It's also human nature to feel good based on where we think we are relative to other people. The guy getting a $1m bonus while others are getting $1.1m is unhappier than the guy getting a $0.1m bonus.

I was reading threads on an industry forum about people who had switched out, wondering whether I should do it. I stopped reading after a while because the replies were like:
#1: "best decision I ever made. I make $X now in a LCOL, have a chill 9-5, love the culture"
#2: "don't do it. I make only $2X now, have to live in a boring (LCOL) area, and my friends who stayed on are all clearing $10X."

These are people who started in the same field, likely have the same qualifications and earned the same amount before switching. The decisions they made just aligned with their values differently

Reactions: DME
Imho everyone is different and while it’s good to be aware of peers, it’s bad to start comparisons.

It’s a mindset.

I’ve seen people who aren’t happy and they are passive aggressive with their lashes. They’ll say, I could also afford vacations to xyz but I didn’t because I had a child or _____ to raise instead, and I choose to.

Which is awesome but why make a comparison like that or why state it as such? It’s telling of a person’s character.

Same stroke, don’t compare yourself to others who seemingly have it better. You don’t know if they were born with the means, if they’re truly happy or if they worked their butt off for it. (Or if it’s a sham build on a deck of credit cards).

Life is too short to be stuck in that mental state of what if, why not me, etc etc.

And this is not to chaste OP or anyone else who may feel this way. I just had a conversation with someone yesterday who has been trying to get from their current position to the next one up and they lamented on how it’s been two years.

Yet, they consistently compared themselves to others and look at what’s the trend. Which makes me think of thread because I told them not compare themselves, be aware, but don’t compare because it’ll never be fair.

And also don’t go with the trend. You want to stand out, don’t be average.

I rather speak with someone that makes me think than fall asleep. Even if I’m thinking whattttttttttt.

I found this thread very interesting and was astounded by the responses. So impressed with each and every one of you and your ability to express your points of view and offer encouragement and support for a virtual stranger.

Sat on it for awhile before deciding to post as I don't know that there's anything I can add that hasn't been said or at least a similar sentiment conveyed. But I can share a little more if it helps further corroborate and lends itself to perhaps being an extra ounce of inspiration in some way.

First and foremost, kudos to you for recognizing what was contributing to you feeling negatively and even acknowledging and admitting how you're feeling. The fact that your mental health and self care are even on your radar and that you plan to take action to work on this speaks volumes.

Unfortunately, as humans we can't really control how we feel so whatever you're feeling, whether "justified" or not, whether others encourage you "shouldn't" feel that way, is uniquely how you feel and you shouldn't be judged - even by yourself - for it. Sometimes, people mean well but they can't truly relate. For example, I suffer from anxiety and claustrophobia. I understand it is an irrational phobia, I wish I didn't feel the way I do, but I have felt this way literally my entire life and i have learned to work around it and not letting it be debilitating but nothing stops me from feeling how i do. It's easy for someone who doesn't suffer the same affliction to simply say "oh just go in an elevator, it's no big deal, you'll be fine" bc they themselves aren't terrified of elevators the way I am so they're coming from a different place.

So I'm not going to tell you to just be thankful for what you have and not dwell on what you don't have or what others have bc that's not going to make you feel differently. But I think it goes without saying, that regardless of anyone on here on in real life's socioeconomic status, the truth is there will always be people with more just as there will always be people with less. Even people in the richest of circles probably find themselves comparing and no matter how wealthy, there will always be someone wealthier. None of us are Jeff Bezos.

That being said, wealth comes in many forms and currencies. I have been a shopaholic as far back as I can remember and will admit that not only do I have a bit of an obsession/addiction (even though I am very well aware material items do not make someone the person they are nor do they really matter at the end of the day - let's face it, we can't take any of this stuff with us at the end) but I am also well aware that I obsess over and buy things as a means of filling a void. I do not have a husband or significant other as you do. I have not been lucky in love and wasted a decade of the prime of my life in dysfunctional and abusive relationships. I never had a loved one go out of their way to purchase anything nice for me - regardless of cost or monetary value - to show they cared about me or were thinking of me. I no longer even receive a birthday card from my father each year and for reasons unknown, he won't even speak to me. So, now that I can afford it, I buy myself nice things to make myself feel better bc noone has ever done it for me. But it's a short lived "high" and much more often than not, the beautiful handbags and shoes and clothing I buy just sits in my closet and doesn't even get used. I learned I enjoy the buying of such things more than I actually enjoy owning or using them.

I have lost my mother, my younger brother, and one of my best friends all prematurely and unexpectedly. I received nothing when any of them passed, and would have treasured even the most simple memento from any of them over any of the "fancy" but meaningless designer items I own. I would also trade my entire collection and every material possession I have ever owned and go broke and even homeless the rest of my life if it could bring them back.

I live in an area notorious for being a playground for the rich and famous. When I drive by the rows of mansions along the beach or streets lined with Bentleys and such, it's impossible not to wonder how so many people gained such an immense amount of wealth. I question what they did in their lives to amass such wealth and question where I went "wrong". I wonder what if I played my cards differently but I played the hand I was dealt and hindsight is always 20-20. I have an Ivy League degree and have worked jobs that a high school drop out could do. I was a single mom of 2 girls and worked in a non-glamorous industry but made an honest living without any handouts and demonstrated for them a strong work ethic while also having the flexibility needed to be a very hands on mother. I have been fortunate enough that working my way up in that non-glamorous industry has now afforded me a nice lifestyle but there will still always be people with much more and much less.

I liken it to when I came to terms with the fact that when I go to the beach, there is always going to be someone who looks better than me bc they are younger and thinner. But there will also always be someone who I am thinner than who probably wishes they looked like me. It's like the tale about people with curly hair wishing they had straight hair and vice versa. It's human nature to covet and desire. At this age, I accept myself flaws and all. I have learned to choose to surround myself with people who also accept me in spite of my quirks, just as I have learned to embrace the quirks of those I care about. I have dated men who have more money than one could dream of having and I have dated men who didn't have a pot to piss in (as my mother would say). My dearest friends are those who would give you the shirt off their back, even if that shirt was the only thing they had to their name. That truly defines one's character, not what name brand that shirt may be.

Be kind to yourself, allow yourself grace, follow your gut, avoid things that trigger negative feelings, cherish those who you love and that love you regardless of your bank account, and continue to focus on your mental health. Wishing you the best in your journey!

Last edited:
I'm so glad I stumbled upon this thread.

I totally understand what you are saying as I too used to compare myself to others (not necessarily to people on this forum, but in life). Why don't I make as much money as this person or why am I not as happy as that person? It took a lot of looking deeper into myself and my thoughts (with a lot of sessions with my therapist) to realize that everyone is different and you CAN'T compare yourself to others because you aren't "others", you are you. That's not to say those intrusive thoughts don't pop into my head every now and then, because as mentioned, I'm human, but I don't let them control me or my narrative in life.

And while I can't afford 90% of this forum, I am elated for people who can! Even though I could never afford a Chanel or Hermes (that's not a whoa is me, that's just a fact!), I love to peruse those parts of the forum often because I love to see who has the wonderful opportunity to buy these beautiful items and I am happy for them. I like to live vicariously through other members and I'm okay with that!

And as for my own luxury shopping ... I have quite a few bags in my collection of the premier designer category and that's from years of meticulous saving. It takes me about one full year to save enough money for a luxury bag (in the $2K range) and I find it more goal accomplishing to finally say, yes! I have saved enough! and go and make my big purchase rather than be able to walk into a store and make a luxury purchase at any given time (no shade to those who can. Major kudos to you!!). I've never bought a luxury item on credit or fallen into debt for a bag. I have found what works for me.

The only issue I have with this forum is my bag wishlist constantly grows and never gets shorter! :lol::lol::lol:

But at the end of the day, bags are just that. Bags. Materialistic items. And if that's what you feel you need to be happy than maybe there's a bigger underlying issue.

The most important things in life are health, happiness, family. Luxury items are just a perk, but we can definitely live life without them.