I am so over Hermes

One word. Punctuation.

OMG! MindiB - well i already knew I loved you!
:biggrin:

To OP, it is horrible when you are treated poorly. If you can go to the Sydney store as some other posters suggested, I hope you can do this.

Although I am fortunate to have good relationships with both of my local store, I have a slight preference for the one that is a little further away.

The people at my flagship store (7 blocks from my home) can get crazed waiting for their turn (its very crowded) and its not always a relaxing experience. The other store is more low key.

To the OP, so sorry, but don't give up on the brand. Oh, and whatever you do, do NOT walk in and start blowing air kisses and calling everyone darrrrling...LOL

That's what I did. When the horn scarf ring came out, I wanted one sooooooo badly, and I tripped over a fab SA when I called to check on the availability. I also like one of the men at the Charlotte store. I've got Hermes covered right as my purchasing is slowing down. Figures.

I've all ready made a firm decision to patiently wait and find a wise SA who will treat me with the dignity and respect I deserve, and will return their kindness with loads of commission in sales over the next few years.

I totally agree with you here, Ammietwist!!

Sadly, there's a type of sales associate that's drawn to high-end retail, and their customer service skills are about nil. As someone that has worked at all levels of retail, there's NO excuse for this type of behavior, and it's sad when you can get better service at a Target than at a store where you could easily spend thousands in no time at all.

I look at it this way though, if I have to cop an attitude or dress up to get better service, I'll take my business elsewhere. The ironic thing is that the overwhelming majority of the rich aren't wearing a Rolex, they're not wearing expensive shoes, driving fancy cars or dripping in jewels....and yet they're the ones these fools will trip over to serve when they could be the cheapest type of customer.

Here's a story one of my college professors told. Years ago a salesman at a car dealership was dismissive of an older man in the showroom that was wearing overalls. He couldn't possibly have the money to purchase a car so he didn't care and treated him accordingly. This man then went to another dealership and was treated well. He bought six cars, one for each of his grandchildren, and he paid in cash. The guy was a rich farmer, and he spent where his business was wanted.

If more of us did this, a lot of the high-end retail associates might get off their backsides and give everyone the service they deserve.

As a long time lurker and first time poster I can say I have never encountered ruder service than in the Melbourne store. I entered both dressed very smartly and dressed more casually and in both instances I've been treated appalling. The SAs either ignore you, or give you the barest of attention. The Manager is the worst and this is exaggerated by the way she will fawn over Asian tourists and little old ladies of society who she knows by name, but ignore any one else in between. There are some quiet nice young SAs but she stares down their neck so much that they seem to cower around her and resort to monosyllabic utterances.

I've bought most of my scarves online, in Sydney or overseas because I don't want to be treated as if I crawled out from under some rock. I want to enjoy the shopping experience - try on some scarves and be told something about them. In Melbourne I've been handed one at a time, and they pack up the last one so you can't compare. I asked the name of a scarf once and was told "Why? Do you speak French?" Unbelievable stuff!

I can't believe Hermes hasn't done anything about it when it is so widely known and it makes the experience of shopping there really quite unpleasant.

I have been in the Melbourne store and I have to add that it was not all warm and fuzzy in there. Also, from my observation I would say the Manager may have the worst attitude.

sad to say...but this is so true...

I was trying to refrain from saying anything --- the old saying "if you can't say anything good, just dont..." but can't help myself anymore :Push:

I remember one time when one of the SAs was nice to me and DH when we were there and she smirked at that SA for being nice and accommodating to us.

I actually prefer to go to the melbourne boutique when she is not around...the SAs seem more relaxed too :shame:

I have been in the Melbourne store and I have to add that it was not all warm and fuzzy in there. Also, from my observation I would say the Manager may have the worst attitude.

Totally agree. She is the worst one . She ignore the existence of her customers most of the time. she walk pass her customers without offering any help no matter what you wear, what you carry. same as most of the SA at hermes Melbourne. I was there one time looking for a scarf. The SA who served me refuse to show me their latest scarf and told me just named a particular one. I told her that ' never mind, I prefer to be served by another lady here, she is not here today and I will come back to see her next time' (which is not true, because there isn't nice SAs there and I will never buy any Hermes from Melbourne store) . she was embarassed when she said okay.
ps: Hermes Sydney definitely have much much better service

Last edited:
^ I was also not going to comment also but it is true so I thought I would add my 10 cents worth. It won't stop me going in however when I am in Melbourne in a few weeks. I will let you know what the vibe was like.

Sgette, the person you refer to is a member of society, hence her fawning over certin ladies of society! How dare us mere mortals think we deserve to wear this brand!

to be honest, they tend to just scream "we think we're better than you"

so tempting to kindly remind them that the people purchasing in these stores are the people paying their wages
they are there to help us as customers, not to stand in a building full of bags for no reason. its their job.

its like being a taxi driver and refusing to drive anyone anywhere

i would say ask to speak with the manager, assuming they have the right attitude something should be done. failing that, if you happen to be in another store where the manager seems nice, mention your past experiences with your usual store and ask how you can make a complaint. if its possible for them to get hold of people higher up then there may be a better response

man, sounds like you deserve much better H service...:sad:

come to the sydney store - i used to complain about the service @ the sydney store......but now i love their service - very friendly, patient, and professional.

good luck! :smile:

ITA!! and ditto with everyone's experiences with the Melbourne store! I have received my WORST H shopping experiences at that store regardless of what I wear, whether I was carring an H bag or what I bought from the store.

Yes, the younger female SAs were nicer when the manager's not around, however the older male SA and the manager (I think her name is Susan or Susie?) are just plain RUDE.

On my first visit to the Melbourne store last March, I bought a few scarfs, 2 scarf rings, 2 SLGs and 4 pompoms from the young female SA. (when both of the male and the manager werent in the store) On the second visit, I saw a white bearn and and 3 kellys on the shelve. So I asked to see the bearn first, and it was not the leather which I was after, so I told him that and thanked him. Then I asked to see the Kelly. The male SA literally only put the kelly in my hand for like 5 second and then took it back and said to me "You should think about the white bearn before you think about this kelly!"

The manager never looked at my eyes when I asked her some questions about other bags (not Kelly or Birkin) She was just so arrogant!

I was so furious at the whole shopping experiences!!! I wanted to file a complain but then my friend told me that she has already done so about 3 years back, and have merely received a reply from Hermes that the managers was only doing what was right for the company.

The manager said to me friend when she asked to be placed on the list for a Birkin, the manager said to her "it'll take a few years to arrive, and it might not still be long enough for you to save your money, are you sure you can afford it if we call you in a few years back?" Shockingly RUDE!

ita!! And ditto with everyone's experiences with the melbourne store! I have received my worst h shopping experiences at that store regardless of what i wear, whether i was carring an h bag or what i bought from the store.

Yes, the younger female sas were nicer when the manager's not around, however the older male sa and the manager (i think her name is susan or susie?) are just plain rude.

On my first visit to the melbourne store last march, i bought a few scarfs, 2 scarf rings, 2 slgs and 4 pompoms from the young female sa. (when both of the male and the manager werent in the store) on the second visit, i saw a white bearn and and 3 kellys on the shelve. So i asked to see the bearn first, and it was not the leather which i was after, so i told him that and thanked him. Then i asked to see the kelly. The male sa literally only put the kelly in my hand for like 5 second and then took it back and said to me "you should think about the white bearn before you think about this kelly!"

the manager never looked at my eyes when i asked her some questions about other bags (not kelly or birkin) she was just so arrogant!

I was so furious at the whole shopping experiences!!! I wanted to file a complain but then my friend told me that she has already done so about 3 years back, and have merely received a reply from hermes that the managers was only doing what was right for the company.

The manager said to me friend when she asked to be placed on the list for a birkin, the manager said to her "it'll take a few years to arrive, and it might not still be long enough for you to save your money, are you sure you can afford it if we call you in a few years back?" shockingly rude!

omg...........