Husbands Just Don't Understand

My husband will never understand my bag 'thing', but he is great and sees my bag habit as a bit of a hobby. He loves his old classic cars and I love my new (or pre-owned) classic bags. We both earn almost equal amounts and so this reduces any tension about spending, but I must confess that he may not always realise how much I have spent on bags and I sometimes try to win him round by telling him how much I have saved, when buying a bag, and not how much I have spent.

Aside from how it's wrong to lie...my husband was orginally the "chi-chi" one, so I there is no way he'd believe a white lie about the price of anything. Besides, half of the fun I have in shopping is sharing it with him, so I wouldn't lie anyway.

We are recently married (just over a year ago), and my shopping did cause some tension. We decided to budget "fun money". Every quarter, he and I get the same amount of money set aside in a fictitious account. I keep track of expenses and balance on an Excel spreadsheet. This way we spend our money the way we see fit, and cannot criticize. I spent Q3 in Q2, so I can't spend anything until October!

Anyway, that's our way to handle it. I earn a very good salary (not as much as him), but I feel equal in this household. It wouldn't be fair to try and get more than I do, though I certainly thought about it with all the recent sales!;)

I know the feeling, my boyfriends hates the cost of my bag obsession! Lol, but he does buy me them for birthday presents. Our agreement is that what money we earn we can spend how we like without the other interfering. In other words he can buy xbox stuff etc as long as I can buy bags x

at first my husband did not understand. i have been an L.V lover before we met, so i came with baggage. ;)
any way i taught him about bags. now he understands why i buy Louis. he can name off Louis Vuitton bags like he is a sales associate. it is so funny.he goes "wow that is a nice epi alma". i crack up.:yes:

LOL i do not have this problem, so i can't help ya. My BF says things like "oo yea you should get that one" and "oh just buy it", resulting in even more purse purchases!

LOL i do not have this problem, so i can't help ya. My BF says things like "oo yea you should get that one" and "oh just buy it", resulting in even more purse purchases!

omg that's exactly like my bf! He says those things to me all the time when I'm contemplating whether to buy a bag. He spends a lot on his hobbies too but he believes his purchases are more functional than purses.

omg that's exactly like my bf! He says those things to me all the time when I'm contemplating whether to buy a bag. He spends a lot on his hobbies too but he believes his purchases are more functional than purses.

I think I'm a similar kind of guy. If I see my girlfriend contemplating about buying something, I try to come up with various reasons to justify the purchase.

Actually after doing this, I find the response is somewhat surprising. Instead of buying more and more, it makes her double think about whether to get it or not (be it clothes/bags/accessories) since chances are she might come across something else she likes and I keep rambling about how good/better it was compared to the previous.

I thought it was just my husband. He doesn't understand like I don't understand his passion for video games. He spends alot of money on that stuff and electronics, but like ducky said, he thinks his purchases are way more functional than a purse or shoes.

He has his hobbies and I have mine. We may not understand each others, but we tolerate it. However what shocked the heck out of me is when I purchased my first LV bags Saturday, he said "I can't tell you anything after purchasing that 46 inch flat panel." :lol:

My hubby knows about everything I purchase. He doesn't mind as long as I am happy.

If you work, you should be able to spend your money(as long as it doesn't take away from bills) on what you want. If you don't work, maybe you can save a little each month and then purchase 1 bag a year or something.

Right on, Socalgem! I earn my own money and contribute equally to the household, so what I spend is entirely my business. My husband definitely doesn't understand my purse habit -- he thinks one bag per person makes abundant sense -- but he respects my right to spend my money however I want to.

That being said, while I have never lied to him about what I spend, we also have a "don't ask don't tell" policy. Hubby never asks, I never volunteer.:graucho: