Husbands Just Don't Understand

Right on, Socalgem! I earn my own money and contribute equally to the household, so what I spend is entirely my business. My husband definitely doesn't understand my purse habit -- he thinks one bag per person makes abundant sense -- but he respects my right to spend my money however I want to.

That being said, while I have never lied to him about what I spend, we also have a "don't ask don't tell" policy. Hubby never asks, I never volunteer.:graucho:

Although "don't ask don't tell" doesn't equate to "don't know"... you're right that the mutual understanding is most important. Good for you! :yahoo:

I say buy what you want as long as you can afford it and it isn't taking away from your bills or family.

I shop all the time and I will continue to do so.

I definitely agree and that is what I tell my husband frequently. As long as food is on the table and the bills are getting paid, no need to make a big deal.

My fiance and I have the "don't ask, don't tell" policy. He knows that the bags I carry are expensive... and it horrors him just to hear the actual cost of the bags I have. He rather just "imagines" it! However, he is always supportive of me, even if it does mean he puts me in my place when I do need it! (ie: excessive spending and impulse purchases).

I say buy what you want as long as you can afford it and it isn't taking away from your bills or family.

I shop all the time and I will continue to do so.

Agreed! My husband will never understand--"You have enough bags! You don't need anymore!"--, but as long as bills are paid, we have food to eat, and we have money for gas, I don't see a problem with it, especially when I'm working, too.

LOL i do not have this problem, so i can't help ya. My BF says things like "oo yea you should get that one" and "oh just buy it", resulting in even more purse purchases!

Same here. I will watch a bag for months thinking about buying it, and DH will tell me "just buy it already". He appreciates high quality goods and realizes the price that goes along with it. He is not okay, however, with me spending $50 here and there at the mall on junk. His thinking is that all of that $ adds up and all you have to show for it is junk; whereas if you just spent it all on a great bag, you can have that bag forever.

I guess I'm lucky. My DH is very understanding. Maybe because I deliberate over everything. I simply CAN NOT make an impulse purchase, MUST walk away and come back... even online! Drives him nuts :rolleyes:

We know a couple whose wife was a binge spender, and she ran them so deep into debt over it we were all stunned. Needless to say after that, I became even more honest and more of a deliberator! hehe My Dh would probably rather not hear what I think about purses :P

well... i dont have a husband yet... but my long time boyfriend thinks my handbag thing is stupid.. but he has a car obsession... as long as I dont give him a hard time about his.. he won't give me a hard time about mine... however... when we get married... i guess he can ***** about me about my bags... but what the heck... i earn my money.. I should be able to spend it!.... within reasonable boundaries, that is.

My husband is into shoes so I encourage him to buy shoes so I can buy a purse (evil I know). We have the same profession and make the same amount of money so I admit I do use up his money to fund my obsession. He understands the quality and craftsmanship of LV and I have bought him a messenger bag, 2 wallets, and a watch all from LV. But now with the property tax bill coming soon he reminds me about our financial priorities. I love him so much because he is not overcontrolling or passive about my spending. He is just perfect. I value his opinion and I trust him to guide this family towards the right direction, even if I handle the finances, I guess he helps me regulate them.

In other words...Not all men are equal. It would be great if they understood, even better if they knew how to remind you when to slow down in a kind way. :yes:

Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new to this site but I have a long standing obsession with designer bags, especially LV. My husband can't stand LV and keeps complaining about the prices. I can't even lie about the prices because he goes online and checks it out. Does anyone have any advice on hot to handle the husband situation? LOL

my husband doesn't get the bag thing either but wow he never checks prices on line...that would be bad. Everyone has there thing right...your husband must collect or spend money on something thats important to him thats not a necessity item. My husband loves electronics...
my husband has been teasing me about being on this website lately...you knwo what I told him its no different than him being on the Mets site...