How your bag addiction started?

I've "liked" purses for years, but "obsession" really started when I joined PF! Bad bad bad influence, bad for my bank account, but I LOVE it! :shame:

When I was 8, I came up with a quirkly little outfit to wear to school and my mom gave me one of her Chanel bags to carry with it. At that moment, some neural pathway associating great bags and feeling fab was created. SO, any bag purchase I make is simply me responding to a chemical firing.:lol:

When I was a little girl, my mom used to give me her old purses to play dress up with. She would also give me little sample tubes of lip gloss and vials of perfume. I loved getting these items, because it made me feel grown up and glamorous. I wish I still had some of those purses. One of them belonged to my grandmother that I really miss. It was a frame bag made from a simply gorgeous gold taffetta-like fabric with a long chain strap and a champagne-colored satin lining. It was beautiful. I loved that purse, but I have no idea what happened to it. Over the years, I always owned bags from lower priced brands like Liz Claiborne and Nine West. My designer purse addiction didn't really kick into high gear until I treated myself to a DKNY Antique Calf Tote around Christmas of 2004. After that, I just wanted more. Joining this forum got me hooked on LV. I wasn't sure if I would like LV, because of the numerous fakes, and coated canvas sounded kind of gross to me for some reason. After seeing members' pics of LVs, I took the plunge and bought a wallet and fell in love. Now I want more LV!!!

crochetbella said:
A few years ago I got a job at Coach and spent the majority of my paychecks there.;) The obsession has grown from there! :lol:
Oh my gosh. If I worked at Coach (or any other boutique for that matter), I would be tempted to tell them they could just pay me in handbags! :lol: :P

oh man, salary in handbags.. now what about all the other bills? gosh, that could be pretty scary.. but I agree with some posters, joining this forum solidified my bag addiction.... and that's not too good for my checkbook.. hehhe

This is all the fault of one of former co-workers who managed our international legal issues. She was from Italy and Switzerland and from a well-to-do family. A really fabulous woman with an even more fabulous sense of style and fashion. She spoke German, Italian, French, Spanish and English fluenty! We worked in Tysons Corner, VA in the middle of the high end shopping area across the street from Hermes, Tiffany, Vuitton, Gucci and Chanel, Neimans, Saks, Bloomingdales etc. were all near our office. She had a small simple wardrobe but always had the nicest jewelry, shoes and handbags. We'd often go to lunch and she would browse and I would browse with her swearing I would never spend that much on shoes or a bag. Well one day we got our annual bonus and I splurged on my first designer bag which was a $595 black canvas Gucci. I thought about it later and was felt like this is a lot of money for a non-leather bag so I returned it for a $895 red leather Gucci. After that a few months later I fell for the Chanel Cambon bags and bought the black flap one and that was my first time dropping over $1k. Then of course I started needing to get shoes to match everything. I was more limited there because I wear a size 11 or 42 shoe. Chanel and Gucci had my size and fit great so I think that was part of why those became my favorite designers...I could buy shoes and bags from them. I'm a a 6ft tall and size 16W+ gal so there are not a lot of options for me in high end clothes, so I splurge on my accessories instead. And here I am...she has moved back overseas and we have lost touch but when we catch up again I am gonna let her know that she created a monster!!!

It all started when my parents bought me a nice Mulberry saddlebag for my 16th birthday.. then , my older sis got me a Fendi pouchette when I was 21 with her first pay cheque. I got really good customer service as Fendi would replace the straps for free etc.. so I realised that you get what you pay for with designer bags. As with most working girls, I started with a tan Coach after graduation. 9 yrs ago, I bought my first Prada (structured bottle green nylon with perspex handles) when I was promoted. I then got into the Fendi baguette craze buying up a cobalt blue rabbit fur mama, purple wool mini, a suede biscuit mini and a rich chocolate mama.
I got a Gucci when I was getting married.
Along the way, I bought the Prada bowling satchel and the lock bags when I was promoted to Vice President. A part of annual bonus will go into a bag.... lady Dior, Dior Saddles, Dior Ballet, Gucci Hobo, Anya Hindmarch....Every purchase I made marked a milestone as I wanted to remind myself of why I worked so hard!
My husband gave me the YSL Moombasa on our anniversary. I later went into Balenciaga after I had my baby as I needed the lightweight and versatile gems.

Like many others on this forum I grew up with just an uncanny love for handbags. Of course back then they were just cheapies! But as soon as I moved out on my own I picked up my first Coach. LV Chanel and Fendi closely followed...:love:

And after hitting tPF I really dont see anything slowing down. :supacool:

I started when I was about 15 when I saw the Coach Hamptons totes. I bought a yellow with black trim tote. Since then i moved on to LV dabbled in Chloe, and now I am lusting for some chanels.

My poor dad, I've since got my mom hooked.

It started with this bag. Even though I don't carry her anymore, I still love her dearly
de_1.JPG

(pic borrowed from ebay))

passerby said:
I'm 50, and not addicted to bags, just interested in reading about them and browsing bag sites (started doing this many months ago).

My sis thinks it's a case of menopause setting in ... :biggrin:

"What - looking at bags AGAIN?" - something she says to me very often these days.

:smile: I am so in agreement! have yet to buy any designer bags but DH thinks if I want him to get it I have to put it in my Xmas list! maybe there's hope!

Oh gosh...now you'll all know my age when I tell you my story...When I was 15, the liz claiborne handled satchel came out, you know the ones that had the bumpy logo all over it? I had the pink one - I think I still have it. It was $75 and i still remember saving forever for it! Then I had to "upgrade" to a Dooney and Bourke all weather leather draw string shoulder bag - I was sooo proud of that bag, I still have it, now i think it's considered vintage...the obsession has skyrocketed from there.:heart: