How To work for Louis Vuitton...

The do have a 6 months training on the job and you have to speak at least 2 foreign languages fluently. My SA is a friend of mine now and he has a master degree in German literarture and French. After being there for more than 3 years he's getting bored even with getting about 2 items/year for free and he wants to change into a different direction. I think when you are to over educated that happens after a while but the good thing is LV will pay a part for his B.A in marketing and after finishing it he'l get a job in the marketing dep.

A friend of mine used to work for LV as a retail associate for 2 years. He quit last year as he got totally sick of the job.

These are what I know...

1. Unbelievable but true...LV Retail Associates don't get commission. They get a fixed salary.
  2. Staff purchases are not pegged to number of items but by purchase value. They are allowed staff discount for purchases of up to a certain amount only ( e.g. $1500 per year ), which is not much if you consider how much LV bags cost. Purchases are also subject to store manager's approval.
  3. If you're a guy, you can only buy bags/items from men's collection. Same policy applies for ladies.
  4. You get some kind of "Grooming Allowance", but it's considered "totally miserable" in my friend's opinion.
  5. Occasionally they get a small commission of like $5-$10 per bag for each of those "past season bags in horrible colors that nobody buys" that they manage to sell.
To be honest, I don't know if these apply to all LV retail hires worldwide...I hope not. Those that I know who worked for Prada & Gucci get commission for every sale they made...

Tanja said:
The do have a 6 months training on the job and you have to speak at least 2 foreign languages fluently. My SA is a friend of mine now and he has a master degree in German literarture and French. After being there for more than 3 years he's getting bored even with getting about 2 items/year for free and he wants to change into a different direction. I think when you are to over educated that happens after a while but the good thing is LV will pay a part for his B.A in marketing and after finishing it he'l get a job in the marketing dep.

Eh, editted for a third time. Suffice to say, I'm surprised at these requirements.

when the lv store here in vienna was hiring they ran a big ad in the newspaper. and they weren't that picky because i got invited to an interview lol
and i had no retail experience whatsoever. it was a full-time position though and i wanted to work part-time.

Tanja said:
Can well be that this is just the requirement for Europe.

That's pretty insane to hear, concerning the fluency in languages. The UN only requires 1 more language than Louis Vuitton in Europe then ! (you need 4 at least)

jasanna143 said:
I think there was another thread about this a while back. I recall someone saying they make about $18/hr and they get 1/2 off of all the floor models, I think???? It's really hard to get into a position there from what I hear.

my moms friend used to be a SA in LV.SHe told me they get 30% off bags.They can only get a certian amount a year. She gave me that belt/bag thing that all the women SA walk around with!

I'd love to be an attorney for them! I imagine so much of their litigation would involve intellectual property issues and fakes, definitely some international law issues in there too. That would be so interesting. Plus it would be interesting to know what their strategy is to fight the pervasive fake industry.

BagLovingMom said:
I'd love to be an attorney for them! I imagine so much of their litigation would involve intellectual property issues and fakes, definitely some international law issues in there too. That would be so interesting. Plus it would be interesting to know what their strategy is to fight the pervasive fake industry.

Thats one of my dream jobs!!!!!:love:

ayla said:
That's pretty insane to hear, concerning the fluency in languages. The UN only requires 1 more language than Louis Vuitton in Europe then ! (you need 4 at least)

Which section of UN do you want to work for, ayla? I know people who work for the UN (NYC) and only know 2 languages. So give it a try if you really want to.