How To Sell on Ebay: TIPS

Thanks for posting this! I'm about to list for the first time ever so I needed this. I have a question about confirmed address. How do you know if it is confirmed? How do you check? Sorry, if this is a dumb question, but i know absolutely' nothing about buying or selling on ebay.

The confirmed address is required by Paypal to be protected by their seller's protection policy. When the winner sends you payment, the email that you get from Paypal will indicate that the address is confirmed or not.

Hey all!

First off, I don't want to get in trouble so I want to say: I'm not promoting the items that I'm selling on eBay. I'm not selling ANY handbags or name brand items. If I have broken any tPF rules then please correct me ASAP.

I'm simply trying to sell some items that I have and no longer want. I know I can make a few dollars off of them so I don't want to give them up to Goodwill. (OT: Yes Goodwill is great. But I have other items going there either way.)

I wanted to know if you guys had any tips for selling on eBay. I've only been a buyer on eBay so this is going to be my first selling experience.

Any suggestions? Do's? Don'ts?

Thanks in advance!

What I usually do first is research the same item I am going to sell and add these items in my "watch" list. That way I get to see what the item is selling for, shipping, etc. Then I decide how I'm going to sell, such as auction, BIN or BIN with best offers. Take some good pics and make sure you charge enough for shipping! Good luck! One more thing, make sure your auction ends at a good time. :You don't want it to end on a Wednesday at 1:00, right? I usually try to end mine on a Sat. night. I'm not sure what the best time to end is though, any other opinions?

What I usually do first is research the same item I am going to sell and add these items in my "watch" list. That way I get to see what the item is selling for, shipping, etc. Then I decide how I'm going to sell, such as auction, BIN or BIN with best offers. Take some good pics and make sure you charge enough for shipping! Good luck! One more thing, make sure your auction ends at a good time. :You don't want it to end on a Wednesday at 1:00, right? I usually try to end mine on a Sat. night. I'm not sure what the best time to end is though, any other opinions?

I tried to see if anyone else was selling these items but no one has posted them over the last 2 weeks. So far I can only go off the price i paid when I got the item off eBay. =(

I was going to wait a little longer to see if someone posted it up but I don't want to get too close to Christmas. I want to be able to have enough shipping time should someone buy this as a gift.

If you are willing to sell internationally, try selling on the UK ebay site, a pound increase in bid is like $2. Your items can potentially sell for more is what I am implying, then again do your research before selling to assess if UK/Europe buyers want the item. US buyers will also have access to your item so it's fair game. Despite the strength in sterling pounds, the overall cost of listing can be cheaper.

DO require insurance and delivery confirmation on all shipments for your own protection.

DO accept PayPal.

DO ship promptly/when you say you're going to. Especially important at holiday time!

DO describe each item fully, with measurements, as much info as you can give, and a ton of clear & well lit pictures.

DO save your money on eBay's picture hosting and use an external photo host like Inkfrog, Auctiva, etc.---bonus, great templates for free which make your auctions look much better.

DO package things carefully and remember that in many places it's snowy or otherwise wet weather right now--a plastic bag encasing your item inside the box can save a lot of drama for you and the buyer. When in doubt, ship in a box rather than an envelope.

DO state flat shipping costs to all locations where you will ship. (You can research this on USPS.com prior to listing the item, just weigh it on your bathroom scale and add appropriate weight for the packaging).

DO try to use the free shipping boxes provided by the post office--make sure you use Priority supplies for Priority Mail, Express for Express Mail/EMS, etc.

DO print your postage online, through PayPal if at all possible--it's SO easy, and you won't have to stand in line to ship them. Your mail carrier can just pick up the packages from you in most cases. Awesome!

Lastly and possibly most importantly, DO have fun!!!

DO require insurance and delivery confirmation on all shipments for your own protection.

DO accept PayPal.

DO ship promptly/when you say you're going to. Especially important at holiday time!

DO describe each item fully, with measurements, as much info as you can give, and a ton of clear & well lit pictures.

DO save your money on eBay's picture hosting and use an external photo host like Inkfrog, Auctiva, etc.---bonus, great templates for free which make your auctions look much better.

DO package things carefully and remember that in many places it's snowy or otherwise wet weather right now--a plastic bag encasing your item inside the box can save a lot of drama for you and the buyer. When in doubt, ship in a box rather than an envelope.

DO state flat shipping costs to all locations where you will ship. (You can research this on USPS.com prior to listing the item, just weigh it on your bathroom scale and add appropriate weight for the packaging).

DO try to use the free shipping boxes provided by the post office--make sure you use Priority supplies for Priority Mail, Express for Express Mail/EMS, etc.

DO print your postage online, through PayPal if at all possible--it's SO easy, and you won't have to stand in line to ship them. Your mail carrier can just pick up the packages from you in most cases. Awesome!

Lastly and possibly most importantly, DO have fun!!!

Those are fantastic! Also, people always mention that Sunday evening/night is the best time to end your auctions.

That's true, a lot of people think Sundays are the best night--I can see why that's so popular, but to be honest at this time of year I sort of list whenever I can and it works out OK! (Remember, when it's Sunday night in the US it's a different day across the world ;))