How to look more sophisticated?

I agree with diane278 :flowers:
With the exception of neon colors— if someone can show me neon pink or green looking sophisticated I will be very surprised. Also bright colors have to be used in moderation, I think one piece maximum in an outfit.
I mentioned pink because (it might not be evident from the pictures I chose) but the IG girl often wears a LOT of pink. It looks super cute when she does it but I think past a certain age, wearing that much pink goes from “cute” to “yikes” :P. Just my opinion :angel:
I am not a fan of neon colours. I like softer colours and bold colours as accessories. I have seen people in all ages wearing different shades of pinks and some look awesome and some look awful. I think how one carries themselves and the rest of the outfits really matters!

I am not a heavy social media user but I am pretty sure there are a lot of street shots available to fulfil this purpose out there. The thread also didn't say specific about having to have photos. So plenty of posts just described what people think is dressing sophisticated. I don't want all the celebrity photos to dominate this thread which could give some sort of skewed impression and hope some savvy Internet user can help. I am a regular in Hermes sub forum. There are the Hermes action thread and one called wildlife H sightings. These are my favourite H threads. They are filled with "normal" people wearing their Hermes items and I much prefer those to the celebrity H threads.

Well said Xiangxiang, I much prefer seeing more down to earth photos of natural women dressing organically and creatively.

Reactions: chicinthecity777
I am not a fan of neon colours. I like softer colours and bold colours as accessories. I have seen people in all ages wearing different shades of pinks and some look awesome and some look awful. I think how one carries themselves and the rest of the outfits really matters!
Very true. Personally I love pink and hope that I can continue to pull it off when I’m older :angel:

Reactions: chicinthecity777
I wear a lot of pink and my style would never be defined as cute or girly.

Pink is just a color. All those associations of pink being sugary are cultural and very recent for that.

I find that is specially so I the US? In Spain, but also in Latin America for example, pink is a color that traditionally has also been worn my men. I actually love men wearing pink and my son looks great in it. Pink is one of the few colors that looks better on dark hair people than on blondes. Another plus for me. I think it can look extremely sophisticated. It goes great with black, white and gray. To me it is a neutral.

I wear a lot of pink and my style would never be defined as cute or girly.

Pink is just a color. All those associations of pink being sugary are cultural and very recent for that.

I find that is specially so I the US? In Spain, but also in Latin America for example, pink is a color that traditionally has also been worn my men. I actually love men wearing pink and my son looks great in it. Pink is one of the few colors that looks better on dark hair people than on blondes. Another plus for me. I think it can look extremely sophisticated. It goes great with black, white and gray. To me it is a neutral.
Some men wear pinks too here (I am in the UK) and I like pale pink shirt on my SO as it really goes with his rather pale complexion (he was born in the UK to both Irish parents). And he is the one of the most macho men I have met in my life! He can be cute but he's definitely not girly. :lol::lol:

Reactions: MooMooVT and doni
Yay for macho men wearing pink!

As for older women... JackieO, Bianca Jagger, Catherine Deneuve, Marlene Dietrich (who would think her cute and girly?) and the Queen never stopped wearing pink, so why should we?

Attachments

• 06130342-9FBF-4F69-90E9-3706F8C8961A.jpeg
    06130342-9FBF-4F69-90E9-3706F8C8961A.jpeg
    215.7 KB · Views: 724
  • C2AB7340-3F5C-4D59-8323-932DFE4BC9FA.jpeg
    C2AB7340-3F5C-4D59-8323-932DFE4BC9FA.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 720
  • 2285CE91-B2E2-4D07-AE76-5A615D004C26.jpeg
    2285CE91-B2E2-4D07-AE76-5A615D004C26.jpeg
    391.1 KB · Views: 729
  • 446EFA6B-24D4-46D8-BFC2-A9DAFFE553F9.jpeg
    446EFA6B-24D4-46D8-BFC2-A9DAFFE553F9.jpeg
    36.2 KB · Views: 717
  • B465FEA0-8A6C-4FE9-83E7-6CF392F2CCAB.jpeg
    B465FEA0-8A6C-4FE9-83E7-6CF392F2CCAB.jpeg
    39.4 KB · Views: 715
  • EE2931B2-2566-4E59-BFC4-1413390A91D1.jpeg
    EE2931B2-2566-4E59-BFC4-1413390A91D1.jpeg
    27.9 KB · Views: 722
  • F5948173-B65C-40BF-820F-24B5BB32D51E.jpeg
    F5948173-B65C-40BF-820F-24B5BB32D51E.jpeg
    12.4 KB · Views: 728
  • 377288C9-FD55-4644-BBBB-4D00831E0A8F.jpeg
    377288C9-FD55-4644-BBBB-4D00831E0A8F.jpeg
    312.3 KB · Views: 716
Last edited:
Sophisticated is the attitude I find : feminine, demeneour, watch your language, your walk, don’t be loud. (But that’s the French speaking)
And usually neutral colors for clothes.
Put together while natural. Neat natural color hair, neat everything.
I cannot resist the latest trend, I’m always between minimalist classic and “cool & trendy”. I admire women who have nailed the classy so well they can venture into risky trendy.
I’m turning 40, how does age influence your ways of dressing when you still feel young? At 40, 50 or 60?

Reactions: ninakt and Vanana
Yay for macho men wearing pink!

As for older women... JackieO, Bianca Jagger, Catherine Deneuve, Marlene Dietrich (who would think her cute and girly?) and the Queen never stopped wearing pink, so why should we?

Thanks for the examples! It must be a cultural thing, I don’t see many older women wearing pink where I live. I think that most of the women in your pictures look very classy in pink, but a few still look a bit over the top in my eyes. I think the important part is not to wear a full pink tracksuit :P

04CC8D8F-40E1-410E-A256-11DEAF2598CE.gif

I guess it depends on how they put together the outfit rather than the color itself. I especially like the last picture of the Queen :smile:

Reactions: loves and ladysarah
Thanks for the examples! It must be a cultural thing, I don’t see many older women wearing pink where I live. I think that most of the women in your pictures look very classy in pink, but a few still look a bit over the top in my eyes. I think the important part is not to wear a full pink tracksuit :P

View attachment 3975690

I guess it depends on how they put together the outfit rather than the color itself. I especially like the last picture of the Queen :smile:
The queen is the queen and she chooses to wear very bright colours so everyone can see her. In public appearances is always sugar pink or primrose yellow or emerald green, that sort of thing. It's like her working uniform. Privately she wears more muted, earthy tweedy things.

love love these! Though of course they are staged shots
Yes, you’re right about the photos being staged.They are from Gorsuch Catalog. To be honest, I haven’t been concerned with whether or not photos have been staged. I just posted based on whether I thought they were appropriate looking for the topic, as it is not likely I’d see anything to post here, in extremely casual Central California. :no: I just thought these were good examples of younger women looking well pulled together. In addition, sadly, I’m not very good at taking photos...

Reactions: prepster
Yes, you’re right about the photos being staged.They are from Gorsuch Catalog. To be honest, I haven’t been concerned with whether or not photos have been staged. I just posted based on whether I thought they were appropriate looking for the topic, as it is not likely I’d see anything to post here, in extremely casual Central California. :no: I just thought these were good examples of younger women looking well pulled together. In addition, sadly, I’m not very good at taking photos...

No worries - I had been thinking of posting a few Gorsuch photos myself. Pretty much anything in that catalog (except some of the skiwear) will work. They do use colors, but the colors are muted, and I think that's the idea. Color is fine, but not necessarily bright. For pink - I LOVE blush and softer pinks.

Reactions: ladysarah
They are beautiful examples! I like staged shots because they offer an idealised version of life. I just pointed it out in case anyone gets stressed about being unable to achieve that degree of perfection. ;)