How to look more sophisticated?

+1. (I’m 67, soon to be 68, and sometimes feel that I’m a bit old to be posting photos, as so many of tpf members are clearly younger than than I am.....)
Hello there! I am 60 and I would love to be inspired by women of my own generation. I think 60 is the new 40. I know what you mean though about the typical age here. I love to be around 60s women and rock what we have. Our confidence is definitely earned. Keep on posting . . .

Reactions: BBC
I don’t understand the heels either. I gave up heels long ago. They do seem to be a consistent presence in photos. Except Eileen Fisher ads, and a few others.
I grew up in the Mad Men era, the heyday of matchy matchy.....when “your handbag and shoes should match”. Clothing was structured. During my childhood, we wore dresses to school every day....no pants allowed. Times were different....not better and not worse....just different. Etiquette was much more structured, as was the concept of “appropriate dress”. I will say, the 60’s were a blast. And I suspect there are many times when younger people think I look matronly.....and I probably do......it’s tough to abandon the lessons Learned in one’s youth. My biggest fashion fear is looking like MDAL. :shocked:

Depends: I am in my 60s and I need to wear heels - up to 2.5 to 3 inches or my back and feet kill me at the end of the day - therefore, I can't wear flat footwear. I have about a dozen pair of booties and all of them have heels. It's what my feet want. I was a hippy in my youth and I wore lots of mismatched clothing. Interesting how lifestyles shaped our clothing sense. When I was a child we had to wear school uniforms - so nothing individual. I made up for the uniform routine when big band watches, funky earrings, chokers, and shoes. I didn't get to have all of this stuff, but I definitely hunted for them somehow.

Hello there! I am 60 and I would love to be inspired by women of my own generation. I think 60 is the new 40. I know what you mean though about the typical age here. I love to be around 60s women and rock what we have. Our confidence is definitely earned. Keep on posting . . .

While it was great to be younger (I especially miss having a small waist) I wouldn’t trade my 60’s for anything. I love having the freedom to spend my time however I want. I retired at 63. It was the perfect time for me although I have many friends still working. I have no intention in giving up my interest in Bottega Veneta bags or Eileen Fisher clothing. They work for me. I post in spirts, but have been doing a lot lately. I have been posting mostly in my Dream Closets...Minimallist to Maximalist thread. I love an organized closet!

That’s an awesome idea, and would be a terrific contribution to the thread. If you love to take pictures or can find some great street style shots, please go for it! I’m excited to see what you post! :heart:
me too. can't wait to see everyone else idea of a 'sophisticated' lass. the more different from my ideal the more interesting...but I do need to see photos because description dont really do it since they rely on ones own imagination to fill in the gaps... or chasms...

One of my favorite instagrammers is my idea of sophisticated for younger people. She’s around my age and manages to balance classy and trendy so well. Everything she wears is the perfect fit, never tight-fitting clothes or “athleisure”. I absolutely cannot stand those bodycon dresses that all of my friends like to wear on nights out :facepalm:. And she never looks too casual, which I think is perfect because I hate casual :lol:

D2D35B61-1602-4F67-AE19-2100B5405977.jpeg B9E5ACEB-3082-42EE-826A-216DD5B1D359.jpeg A9AF4B66-CF09-4723-8868-D8782999D188.jpeg

I like how she wears a lot of pink— she looks sweet and beautiful :love:... sorry, major girl crush going on :lol:. I probably wouldn’t consider this sophisticated for older women though; I think neutrals would be a much better choice.

One of my favorite instagrammers is my idea of sophisticated for younger people. She’s around my age and manages to balance classy and trendy so well. Everything she wears is the perfect fit, never tight-fitting clothes or “athleisure”. I absolutely cannot stand those bodycon dresses that all of my friends like to wear on nights out :facepalm:. And she never looks too casual, which I think is perfect because I hate casual :lol:

View attachment 3974659 View attachment 3974660 View attachment 3974661

I like how she wears a lot of pink— she looks sweet and beautiful :love:... sorry, major girl crush going on :lol:. I probably wouldn’t consider this sophisticated for older women though; I think neutrals would be a much better choice.
You raised a good question. Do you think one can't look sophisticated wearing colours? I personally love the use of certain colours and think one can look great with colour coordinated outfits. But obviously the Christmas tree look isn't what we are talking about here.

You raised a good question. Do you think one can't look sophisticated wearing colours? I personally love the use of certain colours and think one can look great with colour coordinated outfits. But obviously the Christmas tree look isn't what we are talking about here.
I think colors can be great but like every part of an outfit, the color needs to appropriate to the situation as well as the cut and style of the outfit. I think all the parts are like puzzle pieces and the pieces have fit and work together to become an overall beautiful look.

Reactions: anitsirk

While it was great to be younger (I especially miss having a small waist) I wouldn’t trade my 60’s for anything. I love having the freedom to spend my time however I want. I retired at 63. It was the perfect time for me although I have many friends still working. I have no intention in giving up my interest in Bottega Veneta bags or Eileen Fisher clothing. They work for me. I post in spirts, but have been doing a lot lately. I have been posting mostly in my Dream Closets...Minimallist to Maximalist thread. I love an organized closet!

Ladies, I think you both should check out (bump) the former glorious and at one time busy WOACA thread in this sub:
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...ng-all-women-of-a-certain-age.866877/page-152
Yes @diane278 I'm looking at you :lol:

For me, sophistication is internal. It has nothing to do with the clothes you wear or the style of your hair. It's like sexy - you either are, or you aren't and you can't make yourself sophisticated by wearing a well put together outfit.
Well-rounded, able to hold conversations with a variety of people, good manners, well-travelled, progressive thinkers, well-groomed (but not overly made up), poised... these are all signs of sophistication, IMO.

Reactions: diane278 and netter
sophisticated
adjective
(of a person, ideas, tastes, manners, etc.) altered by education, experience, etc., so as to be worldly-wise; not naive: a sophisticated young socialite;
the sophisticated eye of an experienced journalist.
pleasing or satisfactory to the tastes of sophisticates, or people who are educated, cultured, and worldly-wise:
sophisticated music.
deceptive; misleading.
complex or intricate, as a system, process, piece of machinery, or the like:
a sophisticated electronic control system.
of, for, or reflecting educated taste, knowledgeable use, etc.:
Many Americans are drinking more sophisticated wines now.

So yes, education and experience play a huge part of being sophisticated!

Reactions: papertiger

I think colors can be great but like every part of an outfit, the color needs to appropriate to the situation as well as the cut and style of the outfit. I think all the parts are like puzzle pieces and the pieces have fit and work together to become an overall beautiful look.

I agree with diane278 :flowers:
With the exception of neon colors— if someone can show me neon pink or green looking sophisticated I will be very surprised. Also bright colors have to be used in moderation, I think one piece maximum in an outfit.
I mentioned pink because (it might not be evident from the pictures I chose) but the IG girl often wears a LOT of pink. It looks super cute when she does it but I think past a certain age, wearing that much pink goes from “cute” to “yikes” :P. Just my opinion :angel:

For me, sophistication is internal. It has nothing to do with the clothes you wear or the style of your hair. It's like sexy - you either are, or you aren't and you can't make yourself sophisticated by wearing a well put together outfit.
Well-rounded, able to hold conversations with a variety of people, good manners, well-travelled, progressive thinkers, well-groomed (but not overly made up), poised... these are all signs of sophistication, IMO.

Agreed! Sophisticated clothes mean nothing if you can’t carry yourself correctly in them. However I think if someone carries themselves in a manner that is sophisticated, they may as well dress the part too— and many sophisticated people do :smile: