How MANY is tooooo Many bags

I would define too many as when you have unused ones! It's okay to have special occassion ones but if you have actually never used one then it is wasteful to me, regardless of the brand.

Like everyone has said here, it's all relative.
But if you're worried about the number of bags you have, maybe you can put a cap on the number of bags you want, total, and don't purchase another until you sell one in your collection. If you maintain this one-in, one-out policy, you may feel less guilty!

I don't think it's the amount of bags that matter but it will probably be considered as a critical point when you owe the bank tons of money on your credit card and can't pay them because of the bag shopping addiction - then it's considered TOO MUCH!

For myself personally, I have 3 bags and at times I find that to be overwhelming. After having 10 or so the last few years (i.e. when I got into handbags) I just couldn't handle it and sold them all and started selectively picking at bags that I know I would use.

This is what I have:
1. MBMJ Faridah (black) - this is my everyday workhorse hobo. I've used it pretty much consistently for 1.5 years. It fits everything and is super comfy on the shoulder.
2. LV Speedy 30 (cassis) - I alternate this with my hobo and use this mostly on the weekends and sometimes during the week.
3. MBMJ Natasha (black) - a wonderful cross-body bag when I don't want to carry too much. Again, it's super comfortable and I use it when I want to be hands-free.

At the end of Christmas I will be adding an evening bag to my purse stash - I will be adding the LV Thames GM in Ebene. Most people use it as an everyday bag. I will use it for that and as well as an evening bag because it fits everything that I would need but is also smaller than a normal hobo.

Thanks for all the responses its not that I cant afford the bags...... (well according to my math not DH's) and I do rotate them according to season and weekend bags just wondering on everyones take on this...ones that i have not used in a very long time I sell or donate

I think of "too many" in 2 ways

- clearing clutter
- buying new ones

So for me "too many" means:

- Closet is so packed things are falling off shelves. Closet review time. Uh oh, I have at least one bag I haven't worn for a looooong time. Did I like it before but I grew out of it? Did I buy it because I loved the way it looked but it's totally impractical for my life? When will I realistically wear each of my bags next? I try to make an honest assessment of the situation including any mistakes I've made.

- That new bag is cute!!! But I already have a beautiful bag (or more than one) for exactly that purpose I'd use that new one for, meanwhile I don't have one for some other purpose. PASS. (Or, maybe my bag collection is fine but I have no good winter coat now, etc.) Many of us, and definitely me included, tend to collect a lot of our favorite types of thing and not enough of the other types of things we need.

I know this is not a hard number but I really think it depends on how many roles in your life you play and how frequently you'd honestly switch your bags. You really mostly start to realize you may have too much when you have that guilty sensation that there are bags in your closet that are not seeing the light of day, or you're making too much of a cut in your overall budget for bags and you know something else important is getting short shrift.