how long do you think the chanel 19 will stay relevant?

cclover95

Nov 4, 2022
considering a chanel 19 in the small size but wondering if this is something id easily fall out of love with.
I chose my first classic flap over the 19 last year then added a mini and a woc.
I said id never add another classic flap at these prices but im now about to add another.
I've been looking on preloved sites a lot recently and the 19 has actually been the bag turning my head the most. I can't stop thinking about it but I've already noticed its not quite as popular as it once was and im worried that if it looses popularity it will also make me fall out of love with it. I know I shouldn't think like this but I have to be honest with myself as its happened in the past.
As im buying a classic flap, chances are by the time I can purchase another bag there could have been a price increase so im more than likely going to be paying over £6,000 in the uk.
do you think the 19 is here to stay and worth current price/another price increase?
or am I just having a moment that is likely going to lead to an impulse purchase that I may later regret?
all my bags are black so the 19 would be a fun pop of colour or a tweed.

tia x

Chanel will never go out of style.

IMO, popularity should not determine what I purchase, heck, being individual and not carrying/wearing the same whatever everyone else is makes someone stand out. When I go to a mall (what few are left) and I see lots of Neverfulls I think "sad"--all that money spent to look like all the others.

This is just me though and I go back to saying Chanel is timeless, some bags are maybe more iconic than others but they are still Chanel.

I suggest trying it on and trying on similar styles if you are someone who doesn't like trendy bags. Classic will always be timeless, but how often will you actually use it? Mine sit around for special occasions. Will it be worth getting another classic or will the functionality of the 19 be more worth it?
Do check out other brands that offer similar styles.. I was considering a beige 19 but the mixed metals and chunky chain isn't my style, but the shape and squishy nature of the bag is what I prefer. So instead I purchased a very similar bag from another brand that I consider more "classic" and don't see myself ever getting bored of (YSL loulou).

Reactions: raradarling
If you tend to fall out of love with bags that have lost their “IT” status and fell out of popularity then it’s probably better to invest into classics. I think that Chanel 19 will not be an “IT” bag forever and will probably be replaced with newer models eventually (like 22). I think it will follow on the footsteps of boy and Gabrielle that are still around, but not as popular as they once were.

I suggest trying it on and trying on similar styles if you are someone who doesn't like trendy bags. Classic will always be timeless, but how often will you actually use it? Mine sit around for special occasions. Will it be worth getting another classic or will the functionality of the 19 be more worth it?
Do check out other brands that offer similar styles.. I was considering a beige 19 but the mixed metals and chunky chain isn't my style, but the shape and squishy nature of the bag is what I prefer. So instead I purchased a very similar bag from another brand that I consider more "classic" and don't see myself ever getting bored of (YSL loulou).
I have tried it on and loved it but decided I preferred the classic as it was my first Chanel bag.
it's the 2 tone metal that I really like, but that used to be the thing I hated.
all the things I disliked about the bag when it was between that and the classic flap have turned into the reasons I want it. :confused1::lol:

If you tend to fall out of love with bags that have lost their “IT” status and fell out of popularity then it’s probably better to invest into classics. I think that Chanel 19 will not be an “IT” bag forever and will probably be replaced with newer models eventually (like 22). I think it will follow on the footsteps of boy and Gabrielle that are still around, but not as popular as they once were.
I do tend to fall out of love with things pretty easily I hate to admit it but im fully aware of it.
I don't feel like I can say id sell it if it doesn't work out because the resell market is terrible and I think id take a decent loss. id much rather pass down to may daughter. problem is she's only 1 so will be a long wait :lol:
I may look in to preloved, I've seen some offers pop up on 19 bags in pristine or unused condition so I can pick one up in a colour I love for around £4,500. I won't be buying until after Christmas unless something unmissable pops up as im after a another classic from the boutique first (hoping to avoid a price increase)

Chanel will never go out of style.

IMO, popularity should not determine what I purchase, heck, being individual and not carrying/wearing the same whatever everyone else is makes someone stand out. When I go to a mall (what few are left) and I see lots of Neverfulls I think "sad"--all that money spent to look like all the others.

This is just me though and I go back to saying Chanel is timeless, some bags are maybe more iconic than others but they are still Chanel.
Well said

It's hard to say what you'd fall out of love with. I agree with the reaching boy status comment. I have and love both boys and 19s.

A little OT but I also find it funny that some people don't like the cf because its too popular but don't like others such as the 19 and boy because its not going to stay popular. With that choose what you like and go with that. If you fall out of love, sell it.

I am concerned about the structural integrity, rather than the style of the bag. Interested to see how a 7-10 year old bag will look like :hrmm:
Structure is the main thing that stopped me purchasing along with mixed hardware.
I now love the mixed hardware But still not so keen on the look of bag once the bottom has started to sag past a certain point.
i see some are far worse than others and i don’t carry much so im hoping it wont be so bad if i used an insert and dont over stuff it?

Agree with @jimmyshoogirl above. But I don’t see slouchiness as a thing to be avoided
in a bag that is soft sided and relatively unstructured. Except for the classic flap and the reissue,
chanel bags will Cycle in and out of style. IMO, the 19 is similar to the boy in terms of its popularity and longevity.
The Boy, to a certain extent, might be considered a less popular classic, but many chanel clients have turned away
due to its structure, weight, and chain. To be honest, I never liked the Boy when it was popular,
and I don’t likethe 19. But, a couple of years ago, I did buy a stingray boy micro bag at resale.

Maybe in a few years, I will see the appeal of the 19. When and if that time comes, I will buy one
without any regard to its popularity. I personally do not like the CF, and I am a reissue person.
I wear what I like, regardless of what is in style. But for classic bags, I turn to other brands like Hermes.
JMO

Last edited:
I’m probably in the minority here, but I don’t think it will be relevant for long, I think it’s already starting to look outdated with its loud design. The boy bag is already outdated in my opinion, I see this handbag the first that people want to let go.

There was too much hype around this bag and way too popular for a good few years. In my opinion sometimes it is better to get handbags that are not as popular to begin with but still around for good number of years so it doesn’t feel outdated. Despite all this I don’t care if a handbag is outdated, you should get a bag you absolutely love and popularity/trend shouldn’t determine your choices.

I’m probably in the minority here, but I don’t think it will be relevant for long, I think it’s already starting to look outdated with its loud design. The boy bag is already outdated in my opinion, I see this handbag the first that people want to let go.

There was too much hype around this bag and way too popular for a good few years. In my opinion sometimes it is better to get handbags that are not as popular to begin with but still around for good number of years so it doesn’t feel outdated. Despite all this I don’t care if a handbag is outdated, you should get a bag you absolutely love and popularity/trend shouldn’t determine your choices.
i agreed with you...few months back i was so obsessed with the 19 and luckily i didn't pull the trigger. the chains are way too loud. i got a vanity box instead.