How has Coronavirus impacted your life and your lifestyle?

Hi!
To help keep from veering off topic or towards politics, here’s a reminder of the topic of the thread:

“Being this is a fashion driven forum, I am curious as to how this has impacted your lifestyle. Are you still buying purses, shoes or any high-end luxury items? How have you prepared and how do you plan to pass the next year of your life?”

There's other threads to discuss variants, deaths, etc... and as always we don't allow politics on tPF :cutesy:

Last edited:
Yes I’m in Ojai
Did you get tested? If so how was it?

Cases are getting out of control in California. I'm starting to know people that have had it. My hairdresser supposedly had it at the beginning of the year (I didn't go see her but my mom did. Don't know how I feel about that). I say supposedly because she and her husband had the anti-body test recently and tested positive. From what I understand a "positive" just means you have antibodies and they don't know enough about the virus to firmly say a positive result means you had covid. She and her husband were incredibly sick in January of this year and she's still struggling with breathing. Wearing a mask really restricts her air flow so she avoids going out. It took her over 20 minutes to walk a mile and she was struggling for air. My mom's co-worker's dad was diagnosed with it recently. It's suspected he got it on a flight back from Mexico where he was visiting family. He's doing well considering his age of 80-something. He had a bad cough but he has energy and wants to be up and about doing his chores.

I feel I was getting a bit bold going out to Target and Michaels to run errands and look at hobby type stuff on top of my usual weekly grocery run. I think I was getting influenced by how much more everyone is out and somehow tricking myself that things were safer. I need to reel it back in. If we could all do our part and stay home as much as possible in spite of what the government is saying, at least in America, maybe we could get it under control more.

As the virus continues I'm becoming increasingly concerned about people's livelihoods and how are we going to help these people have a decent standard of living and a good quality of life. I've had a chaotic past 6 years and last year needed to return home to my parents house where they have generously supported me emotionally and financially. I'm back in school and planned to get a job this summer but because of Covid my family and I decided that that was a bad idea. I'm in a place of extreme privilege where my parents could support me indefinitely, I get along with them, and they welcome me being here. My future is very uncertain but I'll always have a roof over my head and be clothed and fed. Other's won't. How are we going to help and fix this?

I have a chronic cough from asthma. I haven't stopped coughing for 20 years. I wonder if they'll make an exception.
I have had an asthmatic cough do twenty years too! Went to the dentist And the eye doctor. Yes, they understand! My allergist put me on a symbicort and some other stuff! Hope you feel better soon!

Reactions: whateve
need to reel it back in. If we could all do our part and stay home as much as possible in spite of what the government is saying, at least in America, maybe we could get it under control more.

As the virus continues I'm becoming increasingly concerned about people's livelihoods and how are we going to help these people have a decent standard of living and a good quality of life.
Agree with all of this. Though I confess I have gone out more, albeit with mask and gloves. DH and I did completely self isolate at home, without exception, for many weeks, until our area posted declining numbers.

pixie Jenna, I love your post!

Reactions: limom
Did you get tested? If so how was it?

Cases are getting out of control in California. I'm starting to know people that have had it. My hairdresser supposedly had it at the beginning of the year (I didn't go see her but my mom did. Don't know how I feel about that). I say supposedly because she and her husband had the anti-body test recently and tested positive. From what I understand a "positive" just means you have antibodies and they don't know enough about the virus to firmly say a positive result means you had covid. She and her husband were incredibly sick in January of this year and she's still struggling with breathing. Wearing a mask really restricts her air flow so she avoids going out. It took her over 20 minutes to walk a mile and she was struggling for air. My mom's co-worker's dad was diagnosed with it recently. It's suspected he got it on a flight back from Mexico where he was visiting family. He's doing well considering his age of 80-something. He had a bad cough but he has energy and wants to be up and about doing his chores.

I feel I was getting a bit bold going out to Target and Michaels to run errands and look at hobby type stuff on top of my usual weekly grocery run. I think I was getting influenced by how much more everyone is out and somehow tricking myself that things were safer. I need to reel it back in. If we could all do our part and stay home as much as possible in spite of what the government is saying, at least in America, maybe we could get it under control more.

As the virus continues I'm becoming increasingly concerned about people's livelihoods and how are we going to help these people have a decent standard of living and a good quality of life. I've had a chaotic past 6 years and last year needed to return home to my parents house where they have generously supported me emotionally and financially. I'm back in school and planned to get a job this summer but because of Covid my family and I decided that that was a bad idea. I'm in a place of extreme privilege where my parents could support me indefinitely, I get along with them, and they welcome me being here. My future is very uncertain but I'll always have a roof over my head and be clothed and fed. Other's won't. How are we going to help and fix this?

I have not been tested. My MIL has been tested 3 times and says it’s painful to have the swab go so far up her nose.

I have not been tested. My MIL has been tested 3 times and says it’s painful to have the swab go so far up her nose.
3 times?!?! Does she keep exhibiting symptoms?

I don't think they could get the swab all the way up my nose to properly test me because I usually have such swollen passages due to allergies. Thankfully I haven't had any symptoms and have no reason to get tested.

3 times?!?! Does she keep exhibiting symptoms?

I don't think they could get the swab all the way up my nose to properly test me because I usually have such swollen passages due to allergies. Thankfully I haven't had any symptoms and have no reason to get tested.

I’m not sure what the first test was for, maybe some testing. The two tests last month where before cataract surgery. They’ve been on lockdown and haven’t had any symptoms.

I consider that a win! I know many who gained at least 15. I was talking to a friend today and we discussed food is one of the few things we look forward to these days. Our routines are the same but our snacks can vary!
mine is partially attributed to considerably less activity thanks to recent events. I use to walk the pup twice a day for an hour total. now it's like 20 min every other day

Reactions: 880
Hi all! Have any of you begun socializing at all (outside of members of your own house)? I have gone to my parents to help them with a few things and to my sibling's house one time but that is the extent of any socializing. I have ventured out about 3 times with my DS and DH but have yet to see any of our friends yet. With cases rising exponentially in my area, I am just too afraid to do much outside of the house at the moment. Have you figured out a way to socialize safely in this strange new world? If so, I would love to hear what strategies have worked for you. I really miss visiting with friends, but just don't think it is wise right now given the stats in my area. Not sure how much longer I can go without real life socializing though....

Hi all! Have any of you begun socializing at all (outside of members of your own house)? I have gone to my parents to help them with a few things and to my sibling's house one time but that is the extent of any socializing. I have ventured out about 3 times with my DS and DH but have yet to see any of our friends yet. With cases rising exponentially in my area, I am just too afraid to do much outside of the house at the moment. Have you figured out a way to socialize safely in this strange new world? If so, I would love to hear what strategies have worked for you. I really miss visiting with friends, but just don't think it is wise right now given the stats in my area. Not sure how much longer I can go without real life socializing though....

Cases are skyrocketing in our area so I'm not comfortable with the prospect of socializing. DH has entertained runner friends with drinks on the patio but I haven't joined them as I know some are going to bars and not social-distancing or wearing masks.

While walking the dog I'll exchange a few words with neighbors from a distance but that's all I feel comfortable doing at this time.

Got an e-mail from a friend that said something like "as soon as there's a vaccine we'll get together again." That sums it up for me too.

Today I attended a funeral via Zoom. I would have attended in person except that I felt the gathering should be limited to close family members. And I didn't want to alarm any mourners with the prospect of seeing an out-of-town mourner from a high-infection area. As it turned out most family members attended via Zoom, including siblings, even though they are a really close bunch. This surprised me and it brought home the reality that some of these people must be truly frightened of getting infected if they're staying away from the funeral of a sister whom they loved very, very much. It was incredibly sad in many regards, including seeing in-person attendees masked and spread out so far from each other during moments when people need to be crying and hugging together. Overall an emotionally cold and unsatisfying way to say goodbye.

Unfortunately I think the worst is still ahead.

Cases are skyrocketing in our area so I'm not comfortable with the prospect of socializing. DH has entertained runner friends with drinks on the patio but I haven't joined them as I know some are going to bars and not social-distancing or wearing masks.

While walking the dog I'll exchange a few words with neighbors from a distance but that's all I feel comfortable doing at this time.

Got an e-mail from a friend that said something like "as soon as there's a vaccine we'll get together again." That sums it up for me too.

Today I attended a funeral via Zoom. I would have attended in person except that I felt the gathering should be limited to close family members. And I didn't want to alarm any mourners with the prospect of seeing an out-of-town mourner from a high-infection area. As it turned out most family members attended via Zoom, including siblings, even though they are a really close bunch. This surprised me and it brought home the reality that some of these people must be truly frightened of getting infected if they're staying away from the funeral of a sister whom they loved very, very much. It was incredibly sad in many regards, including seeing in-person attendees masked and spread out so far from each other during moments when people need to be crying and hugging together. Overall an emotionally cold and unsatisfying way to say goodbye.

Unfortunately I think the worst is still ahead.

Oh gosh, how sad to hear about the funeral! I am so sorry for your loss! The fact the siblings attended only via zoom says so much about the risks and dangers we all face. The skyrocketing numbers of cases are frightening. I worry that we are not getting a handle on the virus at all. We are in this for the long haul. Yet I don't know that seeing no one for a year or more until we get a vaccine is sustainable long term. Though it is too risky to do anything other than shelter in place at this moment..... I don't think any of us imagined six months ago that we would need to figure out a flexible long range sustainable lifestyle to minimize risks but not cut ourselves off from everyone.

We have socialized once with friends (who are really like family) that we know are being as careful as we are. We brought our own beverages and bottle openers and sat on the patio 6 plus feet apart and had a beer and went home before anyone needed a bathroom. Case counts have been falling in our area and we want to keep it that way. It was nice to see them for about an hour...... and we all felt OK about out doors with generous social distancing bringing our own beverage. We really trust them and they us.

We also do facetime cocktail or coffee hours with other folks who we can't get together with.