Scarves How do you store your scarves?

just a note to those that messaged me after my SA advice contradicted that of Hermes’ official line (special thanks @Christofle ) that advise putting scarves back in boxes for storage.

So, unfortunately, many people wear their scarves and will put them straight back in their boxes without airing let alone washing/cleaning. Moisture may cause deterioration and mould, sweat, makeup or other stains will not only set and discolour but attract moths and weevils.

Be careful rolling twillys too (most formats) as they’re mostly double sided and one side can slip and pull out of shape. Better to fold over a tie rack with a cylinder bar.

I suppose the official line acknowledges H can’t monitor its customers behaviour, but you should never put an unclean scarf away, they need to be clean and dry.

just a note to those that messaged me after my SA advice contradicted that of Hermes’ official line (special thanks @Christofle ) that advise putting scarves back in boxes for storage.

So, unfortunately, many people wear their scarves and will put them straight back in their boxes without airing let alone washing. Moisture may cause deterioration and mould, sweat, makeup or other stains will not only set and discolour but attract moths and weevils.

Be careful rolling twillys too (most formats) as they’re mostly double sided and one side can slip and pull out of shape. Better to fold over a tie rack with a cylinder bar.

I suppose the official line acknowledges H can’t monitor its customers behaviour, but you should never put an unwashed scarf away, they need to be clean and dry.
I've also heard from SA that you shouldn't keep them in boxes and I think what you are writing makes sense. I have always kept the carré scarves ( not the stole ones) in boxes though in particular to avoid having them eaten by carpet beetles which are endemic here. Even if you get rid of them in your home, they can easily come visit from neighbors across the street and especially in old buildings. They don't respond well to moth balls etc. I'm sure there are other and better solutions than keeping the scarves in boxes, but it allows for relatively easy access. I haven't had any problems with my scarves storing them this way, but I don't want anyone to follow my advice either as what you are saying makes sense.

• Insightful
Reactions: papertiger
What is a good way to store silks long term - assuming that I am not going to wear it for many months? Should I put it in a dry box with silica beads or a dry cabinet? Do I need to air it occasionally?

Hi everyone,

We’re moving and I’m looking for new ways to store and display my scarf collections.

I’ve seen videos and surfed the web for new systems but I’m interested in what people who love scarves actually find most useful, so please share your experiences.

Right now, I’m considering getting display cabinets as the web searches yielded some great ideas on turning a wardrobe room into a boutique style environment so you actually “go shopping” in your own wardrobe, but I’m also looking for ideas that help keep everything easily accessible.

What system works best for you?

Thanks 😊

Some people use a framing system

Reactions: CandyCanes
Some people use a framing system
Thank you, @880 :smile: I saw that thread and I like it although I think it might be a bit much. I like simple solutions where the scarves are easily accessible but also easily seen as a whole collection.
I believe those cases display one at a time or maybe a bit more… so for larger collections, it could be bulky.
It would take a lot of those display cases, which then, occupies a lot of space.

Reactions: 880