Scarves How do you store your scarves?

I'm using a local cabinetmaker, but I did find a few custom options online. CustomMade is a marketplace like etsy. Here is a stand alone file made by a woodworker in MA:

http://www.custommade.com/custom-flat-file/by/Broughtonwoodworks

This is a company that focuses on office cabinetry for architects, etc., but they will do custom files as well:

http://www.smi-products.com/FlatFiles.html
Thanks for the links Monceau! I have a lot to chew on now regarding my storage options.

Also, thanks handbagaholic for another great idea. It would be very pretty to see all my beautiful H scarves displayed.

Choices....choices.... It's a good problem to have!

I prefer to "shop my closet" and so everything is organized like it would be in a boutique. I know that might sound a bit silly...but it makes getting dressed so much more fun!

I've organized my scarves by color in a dresser with narrow drawers overlapping them so I can see the different designs.

One added benefit...I can see exactly what colors I have so when thinking about a new scarf I can see if there is a color which I am missing. Thinking of that gray Bateaux now...need that gray!

You have stunning scarfs :heart:

I am looking for a new side table for my bedroom and stumbled upon this one from Ikea. Thought it would be funny to put the scarves under the glass, saves some space in my room (trying to minimalize stuff in my room) and it just looks fun! What do you think, yay or nay?

Attachments

• 521766-nolanskulpturer-i-brons-1.jpg
    521766-nolanskulpturer-i-brons-1.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 357
I am looking for a new side table for my bedroom and stumbled upon this one from Ikea. Thought it would be funny to put the scarves under the glass, saves some space in my room (trying to minimalize stuff in my room) and it just looks fun! What do you think, yay or nay?

Hello Myrkur, I love this table, but would have a few concerns regarding storing scarves this way. I prefer to store my scarves away from direct sunlight, to prevent fading. And then there is the concern that the table is likely not solid wood (it's probably manufactured, laminated, or pressed wood). This means it may not be an acid-free setting (acid-free is preferable for scarf storage). I tend to be more particular regarding all this, but if you're less concerned, they would certainly look pretty stored under the glass table top. :smile: However, it does look like it could be difficult to access them.

How do you get to the things under glass?? I don't see any drawers. :confused1:

I prefer to "shop my closet" and so everything is organized like it would be in a boutique. I know that might sound a bit silly...but it makes getting dressed so much more fun!

I've organized my scarves by color in a dresser with narrow drawers overlapping them so I can see the different designs.

One added benefit...I can see exactly what colors I have so when thinking about a new scarf I can see if there is a color which I am missing. Thinking of that gray Bateaux now...need that gray!

I do this too but wow I'd love to go swimming in that scarf drawer!! Yummy!!

Hello Myrkur, I love this table, but would have a few concerns regarding storing scarves this way. I prefer to store my scarves away from direct sunlight, to prevent fading. And then there is the concern that the table is likely not solid wood (it's probably manufactured, laminated, or pressed wood). This means it may not be an acid-free setting (acid-free is preferable for scarf storage). I tend to be more particular regarding all this, but if you're less concerned, they would certainly look pretty stored under the glass table top. :smile: However, it does look like it could be difficult to access them.

Thanks for you thoughts. What if I put acid free paper under the scarves, to there is a layer of paper between the side table and scarves or wouldn't that really make any difference?

Thanks! Darn. I'd be so worried about dust ad stuff getting in there with it open like that.

Thanks for the input, I decided to just store them in my close even though I love the idea of displaying the scarfs like that as in the store. I need to buy a new closet, recently sold my old one because it got too big for the small amount of clothes I have left. Will just put them in a drawer there with acid free paper!

I love this idea for my scarves! I'm going to have to copy you now!