how do you organize and store your nail polish?

My mom has agreed to buy me an Alex drawer unit! :yahoo: I wish it Cale in black though :/ but hey, at least I'm getting one. I was considering getting the 6 drawer unit just because it comes in black, but I figured I would need that room to grow in the 9 drawer unit for my polish and makeup.

My mom has agreed to buy me an Alex drawer unit! :yahoo: I wish it Cale in black though :/ but hey, at least I'm getting one. I was considering getting the 6 drawer unit just because it comes in black, but I figured I would need that room to grow in the 9 drawer unit for my polish and makeup.
I love this style of this too.... I have a helmer but I've long outgrown this. I think the Alex would make the perfect organizer. I don't mind that it comes in white, but you're right, black would be so much better. Definitely get the 9 drawer unit - there's never too much storage!

I love this style of this too.... I have a helmer but I've long outgrown this. I think the Alex would make the perfect organizer. I don't mind that it comes in white, but you're right, black would be so much better. Definitely get the 9 drawer unit - there's never too much storage!

I considered getting 2 Helmers for like 2 minutes until I opened one of the drawers of the display in Ikea and didn't like how it didn't come out smoothly. It could've just been that one since I didn't try the others, but I wasn't too fond of the metal anyway. I'm pretty darn excited to get the Alex now, even though it won't be for a while, but at least I have her word that she'll get me one haha :P

Most of my stash is just kept in a huge leopard box, but my DF made me a special little shelf for my Chanels from an IKEA Ribba picture frame:

Foto.jpg

PS: Shout out to a lovely tPF Angel! You know who you are! :kiss:

I store them on a bookcase. 5 rows, 23 columns and 4 deep:

6021089210_4fb1b1fdfb.jpg

Then I swatch them on a 60 nail polish per page scrapbook:

6021093020_d8a4c8df1b.jpg

Finally, I catalogue them in a spreadsheet so they are easily searchable by name:

6020539777_69631d4270.jpg

I also keep a shared document that has the list of ones I don't already own so when my husband is feeling generous and sweet...he knows which ones to get me ;)

Wow, that's organization!

I got this drawer set from Ikea about a month ago. It's cute and working well for me for the most part - I just underestimated how HEAVY nail polish bottles can be! The drawers are a kind of mesh, bendable aluminum and I had to put a piece of cardboard on the bottom of each drawer to keep it from buckling from the weight. I think I'm going to grow out of it soon (oi!), so I'll be saving up for a helmer.

Right now they are in a side table next to my side of the couch (that's where I put on my polish), in a plastic box (food container, but without the lid on so the drawer closes.

Those of you who have dozens - do they dry out or separate before you can use them all up? I usually only have 4 or 5 at a time and end up throwing away a lot - what am I doing wrong?

Right now they are in a side table next to my side of the couch (that's where I put on my polish), in a plastic box (food container, but without the lid on so the drawer closes.

Those of you who have dozens - do they dry out or separate before you can use them all up? I usually only have 4 or 5 at a time and end up throwing away a lot - what am I doing wrong?

Usually I get some separating but shaking solves that. Never throw out a polish again! You just need to buy some nail polish thinner - Seche Restore gets great reviews, personally I use an Orly one. You just add a few drops to old polish and it restores the chemical that evaporates over time. Good as new!

OPI makes a nail polish thinner. It takes just a drop or two and they are as good as new!

I have a question for anyone who has the Ikea Alex 9 drawer unit. Would it bee too much work to paint the wood pieces black before assembling? I really want to get the unit, but in black. What do you ladies think? Would it be worth trying to paint it black?

I have a question for anyone who has the Ikea Alex 9 drawer unit. Would it bee too much work to paint the wood pieces black before assembling? I really want to get the unit, but in black. What do you ladies think? Would it be worth trying to paint it black?

I have a couple, and I wouldn't even consider painting them. The paint they come with is really smooth, and it seems to repel a ton of substances, including ink and NP. I suspect to get the paint to stick, you'd have to sand them, prime them, THEN paint them. If you've never taken on a project like that...

*shudder*

I did once. I learned my lesson.

Alexes come in a long, unwieldy, super-heavy box, unassembled. Mr.GGA is great at building things and taking them apart, and it took him roughly 3 hours per unit to get them together. Plus cursing. Lots and lots of cursing.

I have a couple, and I wouldn't even consider painting them. The paint they come with is really smooth, and it seems to repel a ton of substances, including ink and NP. I suspect to get the paint to stick, you'd have to sand them, prime them, THEN paint them. If you've never taken on a project like that...

*shudder*

I did once. I learned my lesson.

Alexes come in a long, unwieldy, super-heavy box, unassembled. Mr.GGA is great at building things and taking them apart, and it took him roughly 3 hours per unit to get them together. Plus cursing. Lots and lots of cursing.

poor, mr gga. does he know your debating getting one more?