How do we disinfect our handbags and wallets?

The spring over here has been nothing short of amazing. Every year it just rains continuously through March and April. Not this year. Nothing but pure sunshine and 20 grad Celcius on average. Perfect! My crocs are parked in the closet like a bunch of restless ponies before a race :biggrin:

I can't figure out the disinfection thing. Bleach has been pretty popular in my household lately but imagine using the clorox wipes on your croc...Not gonna happen :biggrin: My croc wallets have become pretty useless overnight too. Germany used to be the "cash central" of Europe. Not anymore.

I wanna get a huge UV light box to disinfect my handbags, wallets, phone and keys. Perhaps Hermes could make it look cute :smile:

Reactions: Ms Stressa
My poor B is parked in a dark box too... and i'm not shy about using it in the Canadian winters. I've just been using my "vegan" leather bags and cheapie wallets and wiping them down with diluted bleach. Cotton bags that I wash when I come home. H will be sheltering at home with me :smile:.

Soap and water are effective against covid-19 as they break the lipid envelope of the virus. I've used a mild leather soap on the Hermes and other bags that I had used prior to quarantine and for now, I've switched out to a beat-up nearly-destroyed old Longchamp that I can wipe down with whatever or hand scrub.

I did see an Etsy seller who was making masks with old Hermes scarves that I'm guessing were damaged or stained and they looked really cute! I don't know how long they would last with washing and disinfecting, though.

Don't use any disinfectant on leather. It can't take it. If you believe they have been contaminated put them aside for a couple of weeks. The longest I've heard of anyone saying the Covid-19 virus can live on a surface is eight days.
I've been carrying an older pebbled leather bag lately and ocasionally I wipe it down with a paper towel moistened with alcohol. Hasn't done any harm. I also tried wiping a small area on the bottom of a lambskin bag with alcohol. didn't see any stain or mark on the bag or any color on the cotton ball. not saying we would want to do this all the time but during covid? and if you did wipe a bag with alcolhol it might be helpful to use a leather condtioner on it later?

I've been carrying an older pebbled leather bag lately and ocasionally I wipe it down with a paper towel moistened with alcohol. Hasn't done any harm. I also tried wiping a small area on the bottom of a lambskin bag with alcohol. didn't see any stain or mark on the bag or any color on the cotton ball. not saying we would want to do this all the time but during covid? and if you did wipe a bag with alcolhol it might be helpful to use a leather condtioner on it later?

I think it depends on the dyeing process used on the leather. Alcohol can act as a solvent and it is drying. I don’t know how my bags were dyed and I play it safe with them. Glad you had good results with yours.

I think it depends on the dyeing process used on the leather. Alcohol can act as a solvent and it is drying. I don’t know how my bags were dyed and I play it safe with them. Glad you had good results with yours.
correction - I went back to the lambskin bag (a PS) and it did show some color on the cotton square. Tried on my black Bal bag and did get any color off. the bal bags maybe have some glaze on them?

I wear a reusable washable mask and gloves (UV protectant athletic type fabric that is touch screen sensitive). No one touches the bag or even gets close to the bag but me. I don’t typically handle cash and my cc is in a separate pouch. Gloves and mask are washed when I get home, but I don’t use any cleaning agent on the bag itself. when I take public transportation, my bag is always on my lap.

Reactions: Ms Stressa