Horrible Quality For Fashion Jewelry

The saga with my jewelry continues. Supervisors promised to handle the problem and call but they have conveniently disappeared.
I am going to report Chanel today to the Dept of Consumer Affairs. I called the Attorney General's office in NYC. In the interim, I placed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and told them Chanel is selling defective jewelry and supervisors that are supposed to handle the problem have disappeared. I filed a complaint against Chanel and they said if customers would call and file a complaint against CHANEL for selling defective products such as their fashion jewelry or handbags, they will investigate, and file a lawsuit against them for selling defective products which happened in my case. here is the address and phone number of the FTC. Federal Trade Commission, 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW. Washington, DC 20580
Telephone: (202) 326-2222. If they get several complaints, they will take action. Also file a complaint with the Dept of Consumer Affairs of NYC

it's only Fashion jewellery, it has no worth at the end. you just pay the Name but no Quality. so if you buy Fashion jewellery you should know that it doesn't last long. thats the reason why I would never buy. I only like genuine jewellery.

Reactions: WildRose89 and nvie
it's only Fashion jewellery, it has no worth at the end. you just pay the Name but no Quality. so if you buy Fashion jewellery you should know that it doesn't last long. thats the reason why I would never buy. I only like genuine jewellery.
That is UNTRUE! Chanel's fashion jewelry is SUPPOSED TO LAST. Her jewelry from the 1920s sells today at outrageous amounts. Jackie Kennedy and Grace Kelly spent over $100,000 buying Chanel fashion jewelry. It's supposed to be very well made and it's supposed to last. What you are saying is totally untrue. One does not spend $500 on fashion jewelry to have it break after wearing it 4 times. Chanel's fashion jewelry is supposed to be made at a very high level. And the older it is, the more it's worth.

I agree with you, it is incredibly disappointing. I used to have a cocktail ring from Chanel and the crystals would constantly fall off. I took it twice to a jeweler so that they can replace the fallen crystals but then when it kept happening I just gave up. What a waste of time and money! I also had some CC necklaces darkening and oxidizing. I'm never buying costume jewelry from them again. I have only kept one pearl broche that I love wearing with my tweed jackets and I hope it remains in good condition.

I agree with you, it is incredibly disappointing. I used to have a cocktail ring from Chanel and the crystals would constantly fall off. I took it twice to a jeweler so that they can replace the fallen crystals but then when it kept happening I just gave up. What a waste of time and money! I also had some CC necklaces darkening and oxidizing. I'm never buying costume jewelry from them again. I have only kept one pearl broche that I love wearing with my tweed jackets and I hope it remains in good condition.
I agree! This shouldn't be happening. I think about 10 years ago Karl sold off their good factory. He was busy making movies. And he okayed Chanel jewelry be made by an awful cheap factory. Since then it's been a terrible decline, but the last few years had reached a peak of horror. I, too, will not be purchasing anything more in jewelry, but it's very sad. THere's no reason for it. There's no reason for acrylic/polyester/acetate in their clothes jackets that are $10K. It's outrageous that Chanel isn't even uses all WOOL OR COTTON anymore. It's a disgrace. I stopped buying. How much money can they possibly be saving? Very few people buy their clothes to begin with. At bergdorf's there's an estate jewelry center, and they have Chanel from 1950s and 1970s, and the jewelry is stunning! It's so well made you can't believe it.

That is UNTRUE! Chanel's fashion jewelry is SUPPOSED TO LAST. Her jewelry from the 1920s sells today at outrageous amounts. Jackie Kennedy and Grace Kelly spent over $100,000 buying Chanel fashion jewelry. It's supposed to be very well made and it's supposed to last. What you are saying is totally untrue. One does not spend $500 on fashion jewelry to have it break after wearing it 4 times. Chanel's fashion jewelry is supposed to be made at a very high level. And the older it is, the more it's worth.
its made out of metal. not silver not Gold.and the Stones are glass. which worth do you mean?
they sell also real jewellery but this is much more expensive than their Fashion jewellery. I know some People who have the cc necklaces, they are pretty but just made out of metal. you are paying the Name nothing else. The cc necklaces of my friend is already broken after 1 year. One of the c is broken in two pieces. great Quality.

Reactions: fabuleux
As a jeweler, I have to say that Chanel knows their fashion jewelry will not last. When you don’t set stones in prongs they will come out. That’s a fact. When you use cheap metals they will tarnish and irritate skin sensitivities. That’s a fact. They know it but they do it anyway because they know people will purchase they are probably banking on customers wearing things for a season or so and then purchasing the next piece so there isn’t need to make it long lasting. It’s a fairly disreputable practice but it’s the same approach many dirt cheap fast fashion brands have when it comes to jewelry. They just don’t charge as much as Chanel. No jeweler who uses the materials and techniques Chanel is using would expect their product to last.

My first Chanel costume jewelry was a pearl bracelet. I love that bracelet but hated the dangling CC hitting a pearl and it chipped off. I vowed to myself that I will never buy any CJ from Chanel. Contrary to what you mentioned, repair do costs money over here in Asia...so much so that I refuse to pay and vow to wear the bracelet to its end of life.

Fast forward, I’ve added a Camelia pendant, one long necklace (without crystals), two pairs of earrings (one was a gift, the exact dangling pearl with crystal CC that you posted) and an all gold button earrings, two short necklaces (one with crystals and the other is gold with large stones). I love them but am careful with them, try to select items without crystals or pearls, if you can. I’m glad that it’s only the bracelet that I’m disappointed with but the rest of the items are still in their original condition and I wear them often. That’s my love and hate relationship with Chanel’s costume jewelry.

Such a shame as I do love their jewellery-but quality is atrocious!
I bought medium classic CC studs with lime coloured crystals, lost count of how many times crystals fell out, countless trips to boutiques around London to have them glued back in. The repairs were so bad you could see the glue all over the earrings :sad:
The final time I took them in, they sent them to Paris, and when I received them back-they were different coloured crystals! They had put in white crystals when they were originally a lime/yellow crystal.....I was so mad! But what could I do?!

I ended up selling them.

I bought a ring over a year ago-because it was light gold and has no crystals, but now it’s chipping and changing colour....even the authenticity plaque has fallen off! :shocked:

I have a bracelet from years ago that was silver coloured-so that’s almost all faded off, they did say they could send it off to be repainted lol....at this point I’d rather use silver nail polish and do it myself!

Such a shame as I do love their jewellery-but quality is atrocious!
I bought medium classic CC studs with lime coloured crystals, lost count of how many times crystals fell out, countless trips to boutiques around London to have them glued back in. The repairs were so bad you could see the glue all over the earrings :sad:
The final time I took them in, they sent them to Paris, and when I received them back-they were different coloured crystals! They had put in white crystals when they were originally a lime/yellow crystal.....I was so mad! But what could I do?!

I ended up selling them.

I bought a ring over a year ago-because it was light gold and has no crystals, but now it’s chipping and changing colour....even the authenticity plaque has fallen off! :shocked:

I have a bracelet from years ago that was silver coloured-so that’s almost all faded off, they did say they could send it off to be repainted lol....at this point I’d rather use silver nail polish and do it myself!

So I was called yesterday by Customer Service Supv and she said the earrings are back. Crystals were put in and apparently they said they were able to be polished. I asked what they used for polish? Then she blamed me! The repair department said this tarnish is consistent with the fact you put water on them and sprayed perfume on them. I hit the roof and began screaming and hung up on CHanel. Since the earrings were worn about 4-6 times by my mother and she never washed her face or used perfume when she wears chanel jewelry, this was outrageous! No one is more careful than I am. No one. THe earrings went back in the box, each earring in their slot, and were worn literally for a few hours each time. In fact, the people at chanel that looped them said they could see no scratches or wear on them. This is the way you treat good customers. I am going to report them elsewhere perhaps the Attorney General for selling defective jewelry and blaming the customer. Those earring were in a box for almost 3 years unused and this is their response. No wonder their stores are empty!

So I was called yesterday by Customer Service Supv and she said the earrings are back. Crystals were put in and apparently they said they were able to be polished. I asked what they used for polish? Then she blamed me! The repair department said this tarnish is consistent with the fact you put water on them and sprayed perfume on them. I hit the roof and began screaming and hung up on CHanel. Since the earrings were worn about 4-6 times by my mother and she never washed her face or used perfume when she wears chanel jewelry, this was outrageous! No one is more careful than I am. No one. THe earrings went back in the box, each earring in their slot, and were worn literally for a few hours each time. In fact, the people at chanel that looped them said they could see no scratches or wear on them. This is the way you treat good customers. I am going to report them elsewhere perhaps the Attorney General for selling defective jewelry and blaming the customer. Those earring were in a box for almost 3 years unused and this is their response. No wonder their stores are empty!
You're wasting your time. Chanel won't care that you are reporting them and the Attorney General has other more important things to deal with than this dispute. The fact that you screamed at Chanel employees and hung up on them looks bad on you. If I were the employee on the other end of the phone, I would think you're unstable.

I empathize with you. You spent a lot of money on something you could have bought for $40 at Dillard's (if it weren't branded "Chanel") and probably $12 at Ross. The truth is, just reading through the different threads on this forum, Chanel costume jewelry doesn't seem to be particularly good quality, despite many pieces being very attractive. The high retail price does not guarantee quality.

It sounds from your post that you are a regular Chanel customer. Maybe simply ask the store manager if you can get your money back?

Hello,
I bought this necklace preloved and I love it so much.
Do you know what the number 100 means?

Congratulations, you will be greatly pleased to know that this is part of the special collection for Chanel’s 100th anniversary! I got the brooch but unfortunately they didn’t have anything that says it. I should have checked before purchasing.