Hermes using the Art of Japanese Aizome

Hermes Zen

Feb 19, 2020
Hi Everyone!

Some of you may have seen posting of my limited edition Birkin Sellier 25 Aizome in Porosus Crocodile.

I'm hoping to hear your thoughts on these beautiful H pieces AND please do share photos of your H aizome beauties too!! I think we will see more offered in the stores.

Here's a great vid about the process thanks to @allanrvj :tup: who shared it in another thread:

Posting more photos of my b here. My sa told me that there are three shades of bleu. Super happy to have added this to my collection. Highly recommend it to anyone considering an aizome handbag!

I didn't find an H thread related to the ancient Japanese aizome crafts. Started this one so we can chat about it. If a mod feels it belongs somewhere else, feel free to move. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_1553.jpeg
    IMG_1553.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1556.jpeg
    IMG_1556.jpeg
    308.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1557.jpeg
    IMG_1557.jpeg
    259.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1558.jpeg
    IMG_1558.jpeg
    168.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1559.jpeg
    IMG_1559.jpeg
    275.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1561.jpeg
    IMG_1561.jpeg
    246.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1560.jpeg
    IMG_1560.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 99
ai (藍) is the name of the plant, aizome (藍染) refers to the Japanese art of indigo dyeing. Video doesn't embed but here's another one with a more detailed process about making the dye.

Video

This is another aizome offering from Hermès, a Kelly Sellier 28 in porosus croc

download (3).jpegdownload (2).jpeg

As you can see it's a lighter version from the Birkin above and the colors are concentrated on the crevices, typical of a water-based natural dye.

ai (藍) is the name of the plant, aizome (藍染) refers to the Japanese art of indigo dyeing. Video doesn't embed but here's another one with a more detailed process about making the dye.

Video

This is another aizome offering from Hermès, a Kelly Sellier 28 in porosus croc

View attachment 5963119View attachment 5963120

As you can see it's a lighter version from the Birkin above and the colors are concentrated on the crevices, typical of a water-based natural dye.

That’s absolutely stunning!! Thanks for sharing.

• Love
Reactions: allanrvj
  • Thanks
Reactions: Hermes Zen
@momoc posted her Lizard Aizome Constance here in Dec and also some details about Aizome here.

img_5877-jpeg.5909596

View attachment 5909764
Thank you, it’s been a lizard year for me!

Aizome is a Japanese dying technique with dye from plants - I took a photo of the little booklet with how Hermes describes it. (lizard might have been added later after the three leathers listed in this booklet so they didn’t have it in there lol)

Hermes Aizome comes in three shades of blue ranging from light to dark, which iirc are achieved by different dying time (the longer the darker). This is the darkest which is Tomekon, and the other two are Hanada and Ai. I saw other bags (B and C) in the the other lighter shades and/or in ostrich and croc as well so I reckon there is a batch going out recently (this whole aizome was first introduced approx 3 years ago I think?). Photo found online:
View attachment 5909765
tbh I don’t know if it’s in any way obvious that they are different than the regular blue dyes but it’s definitely beautiful and I loved this one as soon as I saw it. :biggrin:

Here are two videos demonstrating how it is done to leather (unfortunately I cannot find croc examples)

I found this on crocodile dying. Don’t know if this is the company Hermes uses but it is a helpful website:

Copied their About Us but check out their other webpages for more information!

Established in 1951, Horiuchi Trading Company Ltd. has been dealing with leathers, specialized in Crocodile, Alligator and Ostrich. When it come to Crocodile leather, we are the largest trader in the domestic market and have a large share in the world market.

We start from buy raw skins, tan and finish them in Japan and deliver finished leathers to customers. Our production process is consistent and strictly controlled with responsibility. The high quality of our finished leathers is appreciated in the world market through high fashion brands.

Our ample stock of skins and a lot of expertise tan and finishing Technique make it possible for us to meet various requirement of customers. We offer not only classic glazing and matte finish, but also Indigo Dye Finish, Nappa Finish and other fancy ways of finishing.