Hermes Riding Boots

Bumping this thread.

Need some input from you ladies who have the jumping boots in box leather. Are they meant to be worn in the rain / snow? I've had mine since 2012 and luckily have never been caught in the rain in them. I'm heading to Tokyo and Yamagata next week and it seems that Yamagata will be snowing. Do you think my boots will survive the snow or some unexpected rain / shower in Tokyo (although Tokyo is usually dry in January from experience)? I don't really baby my bags or shoes as I am a believer of cost per wear. My country is just too warm to wear these boots frequently. I don't mind them getting worn and used, but I certainly don't want them to be damaged. I have seen Jamie Chua's photos of them in the snow, but she even had her Himalayan in the snow, so this can't be my benchmark. I'm only worried about leather being damaged from rain or snow - the issue with taking them off at security check won't bother me as mine can be taken off pretty easily. Please share your experience. Much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Keeping them polished is the best protection for your jumping boots. I use Saphir polishes for mine(they even have a Rouge H polish for fellow rouge H boot owners) , but any good quality black polish should do the trick

My SO really helped me in this respect. I was worried about wearing mine in the elements as well, but he pointed out that men's dress shoes are out in the elements all of the time, the difference being that men are better at having their shoes polished. So now I have my SO polish my boots on a regular basis, haha!

I wouldn't go jumping into puddles or trekking through 2ft depth of snow like Nanook of the North, but walking through the city in rain or snow should be fine. I would second what has been said about salt and clean the soles after walking, as well as wipe down the shaft once you get to your destination.

Keeping them polished is the best protection for your jumping boots. I use Saphir polishes for mine(they even have a Rouge H polish for fellow rouge H boot owners) , but any good quality black polish should do the trick

My SO really helped me in this respect. I was worried about wearing mine in the elements as well, but he pointed out that men's dress shoes are out in the elements all of the time, the difference being that men are better at having their shoes polished. So now I have my SO polish my boots on a regular basis, haha!

I wouldn't go jumping into puddles or trekking through 2ft depth of snow like Nanook of the North, but walking through the city in rain or snow should be fine. I would second what has been said about salt and clean the soles after walking, as well as wipe down the shaft once you get to your destination.

Thank you! I read through the leather care threads and ordered Blackrock leather conditioner and obenauf for waterproofing. Fingers crossed it will arrive before Saturday and I can treat my boots before my trip! If not.... I'll just wear them anyway! Life is short! :P

Thank you! I read through the leather care threads and ordered Blackrock leather conditioner and obenauf for waterproofing. Fingers crossed it will arrive before Saturday and I can treat my boots before my trip! If not.... I'll just wear them anyway! Life is short! :P

Remember to do the leather sole & it's edges with conditioner and protection. That's the most vulnerable part of your boot.

Have fun!

I have a pair with permabrass hw.

Thank you, @tonkamama
Now that you mentioned it, maybe mine are permabrass as well. They are black and in the typical box calf type of leather riding boots are made of. I'll need to compare them to the gold hardware of my Kelly and see if they match or not.
So far, from a brief search, the riding boots I've seen with permabrass hw are neutral colors, but no black yet. May I ask you what color yours is?

20171112_200459.jpeg

My jumping boots need serious TLC. Please share your advice in caring or treating the leather and how often. It was stored it in its dustbags and box for few years. I decided to take them out and just noticed the whitish spots thoughout the shaft of the boots. Let me know what products to use or would you recommend to have it professionally treated. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 3878323

My jumping boots need serious TLC. Please share your advice in caring or treating the leather and how often. It was stored it in its dustbags and box for few years. I decided to take them out and just noticed the whitish spots thoughout the shaft of the boots. Let me know what products to use or would you recommend to have it professionally treated. Thanks in advance!

O
View attachment 3878323

Oh no! Your boots have developed mold from improper storage. As others suggest, brush the visible mold off. Then to kill mold spores, wipe the boots down with a solution of half white vinegar and half water. Test first to see that this won’t remove colour. Let dry thoroughly, preferably in the sun, then do your regular polish routine. Wash the dust bags and throw out the box to prevent ongoing contamination. The boots should be taken out for a spin every once in a while to prevent mold from recurring. Good luck!

Thank you, @tonkamama
Now that you mentioned it, maybe mine are permabrass as well. They are black and in the typical box calf type of leather riding boots are made of. I'll need to compare them to the gold hardware of my Kelly and see if they match or not.
So far, from a brief search, the riding boots I've seen with permabrass hw are neutral colors, but no black yet. May I ask you what color yours is?
So sorry for my late reply. Mine was a pair in gold swift color. I think from a distance prrmabrass looks like gold hw to me.:amuse:

Reactions: NOIRetMoi
Thanks again, @tonkamama
I just checked mine against gold and rose gold and it's definitely permabrass as well.
I love gold hardware, but after checking my boots and having worn my SO's quiz belt a couple of times, I wish they would offer more Birkins and Kellys with permabrass (or as a special offer). It's gorgeous!!

Reactions: tonkamama
Thanks again, @tonkamama
I just checked mine against gold and rose gold and it's definitely permabrass as well.
I love gold hardware, but after checking my boots and having worn my SO's quiz belt a couple of times, I wish they would offer more Birkins and Kellys with permabrass (or as a special offer). It's gorgeous!!
You can choose Permabrass as an option for Special Order Birkins and Kellys, to match your Jumpings.