Hermes in the city...or your hometown.

I live in Arizona and the closest H store is in Las Vegas.
We seem to be a lot like LA. Tons of "it" bags here. Chanel. LV and Gucci rule. Lots of 12-year-old girls wearing $2k status bags. However, I don't see many H bags although I am sure they are out there. I think if I walked around in a Birkin it would attract a lot of attention but probably not the other lesser known H bags like the picotin or boldie. I carry Bottega Veneta and sometimes I get a few comments from those in the know but I pretty much go under the radar with it, which I like, as I know some of my friends and others would just die if they knew the price.

[vogue];3289837 said:
Singapore is sooo filled of Hermes!

I saw a blue brighton 28cm Kelly at the gym (FF at paragon), an orange Lindy and a yellow ostritch kelly (at taka) all in the span of just a few hours!!

No doubt that there is a LOT of Hermes in SG...

yes i agree with vogue, i live in jakarta , indonesia, as you may all know, indonesia is still a developing country, (sooo many poor people begging on the street) but yet whenever i go to the mall (indonesian's fave place to go) , or wherever, i see hermes everywhere, there are many exotic leather ones, the three color ones, any sizes you name it! if you happen to read magazines such as tatlers or prestige (i think these mags only circulates in asian countries), you will see that so many ladies were carrying birkins! Jakarta ladies are crazy about birkin. for the socialites, it's a MUST HAVE bag. well i guess most asian ladies/girls....i go to singapore alot, that's why i know....

I live in the East Coast and bounce around, but I gotta tell you, C O A C H lives and rules mid-to upper coast until you hit NYC. I mean, every shape, size, you name it. Everyone from Gramma to her daughter, and her daughter can be spotted wearing them together.

Cute, yes :smile: Other than that, LV (and probably more fakes than real) is #2. I am way under the radar when Ms B and I go out :supacool:

Mostly COACH, GUCCI and LV (many are fake too :throwup:) where I live. However, there are plenty of mothers @ my son's school that rock the latest authentic LVs (many of which are limited eds). I've only seen a Birkin ONCE :nuts: IRL (when I was downtown shopping). Other than that, only three or four of my friends actually know the brands of the bags I carry. The rest just say "Nice bag! What is it?" and then nod when I tell them.:shrugs: One lady said to me the other day "Hermes? Isn't it where Oprah shops?" :lol:

I do see alot of Gucci, LV, coach...every so often one of those Chloe paddingtong bags or Fendi spy....rarely a YSL bag.....and I do see Chanel here and there.

Hermes every so often at the right place.

I am the only one of my friends that even carries a nice bag....so I get comments like oh is that a birkin. oh a birkin really.

My Hermes fits in because nobody notices that it's Hermes but it stands out because it's the only Hermes I see. EVER.
It's like a desert here... I never see ANY Hermes. No scarves, bracelets, certainly no bags! Once I met a girl at a party who also wore an H scarf but she was weird. I often wish I could admire somebody else's H stuff IRL other than my own.

My Hermes fits in because nobody notices that it's Hermes but it stands out because it's the only Hermes I see. EVER.
It's like a desert here... I never see ANY Hermes. No scarves, bracelets, certainly no bags! Once I met a girl at a party who also wore an H scarf but she was weird. I often wish I could admire somebody else's H stuff IRL other than my own.

No kidding. I did once see a gal at Office Depot wearing a fake Birkin that looked like it had a big sticker on it that someone ripped off and a lot of the sticky was left on. I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw her and even DH said "ooooooooooh" in that, oh wow that bag is a travesty kind of way...

I haven't seen any in the DC area and I am in a wide variety of settings with people in a wide range of socioeconomic classes. I actually make it a point to bag watch when in downtown DC, at legal and political events, when at Tysons Galleria (our high end mall) and at boutiques. My beau even points bags out to me now and asks me what kind it is. I have only seen one Hermes ever here and that was an European coworker who got me into bags in the first place who had what I now think was a garden party bag. My first trip into the local Hermes store was with her at lunch when she inquired about getting it serviced. I have gotten compliments on my Birkin from men and women but they just admire the workmanship and leather I think. It didn't seem that they knew what brand it was. I did have a woman point once when I was at Saks Off Fifth and tell her friend 'look a Birkin'. I think I have seen quite a few Hermes scarves here though. In the DC area the main thing I see is Coach. Coach is hands down the bag I see the most often and see friends and coworkers go crazy over. I would say the next most frequent bag I see here is Vuitton...especially when I am at functions with lots of professional women. I think Chanel would be next and then to a lesser extent I see Gucci and Fendi. When I carry a Chanel lots of pre-teen and teen girls seem to acknowledge it.

I live in a medium city in Upstate NY, and except for a black Birkin/PH at the salon I frequent, I have never seen another Hermes bag (except for those carried by my mother). Most people have no clue what a Birkin/Kelly is here, but I get alot of compliments on them from people who recognize quality, not necessarily the brand. Once at a bar though my SO pointed out that the waitress carrying the tray of drinks almost plowed into someone because here eyes were fixated on my bag, and the same night a girl complimented me on my bag while waiting for a bathroom stall. My reply was "Thanks, I find it to be very practical" (I'm such a dork). Other than that it's under the radar except for the few who recognize it.

Most people here carry Vera Bradley (I personally abhor them except as diaper bags!) and LV (and since there is no LV store here I'm going to guess a good percentage of them are fake as well).

is there an HERMES shop in your country? where did u get yours?:smile: just wondering.....

I live in London and depending on what part of London you are in, you will see Birkins everywhere. In the City I see a lot, in West End and Chelsea, Knightsbridge etc lots there. From my untrained eye, they looked real to me.

well there's going to be one more girl in pdx carrying a birkin this weekend as I'm going to be down there for a soccer tournament in tigard, so if you go to that big mall and see someone carrying a gold birkin, come and say hi. Otherwise, in my town up north no one even knows anything but coach or LV. Seattle sometimes I see a few other bags but this is a coach state all the way. that may change when the new Hermes opens in 2009.

Theres an Hermes opening in Seattle!?

this is such an interesting thread! great idea guccigal.

oregonfanlisa - i bet you made that starbucks girl's day! i'm always happy with i see hermes, whether it's one or a dozen.

chaneljewel - same here, there is money but it's spent on homes and cars and boats and such. my sense is that my indulgences would seem really bizarre to others.

i would say that people around me assume my bags are coach or something similar, and because my bags aren't remotely trendy (read: enormous, and/or familiar from magazines), i don't think i earn any style points for them among my peers.
i bag-watch like a fiend when i think there is a chance of seeing an hermes - and that gave me great pause when i considered what bag should be my next, realizing that depending on what i chose, i could put myself on someone else's radar. that made me really uncomfortable. i guess i have some nightmare vision of people cornering me - omgd, or Cal sending friends over to touch my bag (:wtf:lol!). i went with picotin for now and am so utterly comfortable with it that i know it was the right choice (i was complimented on it once, which was so nice, but then also asked if it was coach. lol)
then when i was on vacation in boston once, a young student working in a store recognized my scarf and said "is that hermes?" (she said it more than asked it because she already knew it was) and i was impressed by her and felt comfortable, and liked that i could talk about that with a stranger (briefly). that was nice.
in l.a. i see an hermes maybe once a year, but i assume they're around, riding shotgun.

There is absolutely no H in my hometown, apart from my H belt that is ;) I guess Norway is completely H free...

My hometown is free of designer bags, designer anything. Guess that's the way up here on the north pole :nogood: