**Hermes Chat**

No, no you didn't, ck! It's been a bit quiet 'round here lately.
Allow me to fill the silence for a moment.

The language of fashion. Using words to describe things that are experienced emotionally as well as sensually, like wine, perfume, and fashion, is tough. I give you this (annotated) e-mail I received from a new brand that offers what I would call "street style" pieces:

"Designed to add a bold flair to essential wardrobe styles, [XXX} encapsulates her essence, fearless style and the power of who she is."
(Editorial comment: Okay, I can accept this. It doesn't pack a whole lot of content, but they're trying to capture a feeling, a persona; to describe what the fashion designer set would call "their girl," so I'll cut 'em some slack.)

"Drawing on rich textures and deep tones, [XXX] delivers a curated range of statement pieces in tailored cuts and contemporary fabrics."
(Yeah, okay. Having perused their freshman collection, I think the claim of "rich textures and deep tones" is rather grandiose--I saw mostly cotton blends and vinyl, done in black, red, and khaki, but, you know, all right. "Tailored cuts" is stretching it a bit, too--the look is mostly itty-bitty crop tops with oversized skater-style trousers, so, no, not really "tailored" in the sense of, you know, what that word actually means. And their use of the buzzwords "curated" AND "statement" in the same sentence sent a brief chill down my spine. . . but, deep breath, I'm hanging in there.)

"Infused with a directional aesthetic, the [XXX] brand introduces a transitional approach to off-duty styling."
(Now they've done it. I have parsed this sentence multiple times, including while standing on my head, and while--if I squint--I can assign some meaning to "off-duty styling"--that's casual wear, I assume--the idea of offering a "transitional approach" to casual wear befuddles me. Isn't casual wear inherently an alternative to work and/or formal wear? While I suppose I can imagine a "transitional" look that lies between formal and casual, this collection of bralettes and cargo pants is not it. And don't get me started on that introductory phrase. "Infused with a directional aesthetic"?! Infused? Really? Like an artisinal vinegar? And what, in the name of Coco Chanel, is a "directional aesthetic"? That literally means nothing. Literally. Nothing.)

So, there you go, your linguistic fashion rant of the day. Manufactured outrage over trivialities is, IMO, the best way to start the weekend. :heart:

Reactions: etoupebirkin