Hermes boutiques in London

They seem to have a large turnover in staff, least likely to know H stock (who's serving who here?) spoiled for customers ad overworked. I've heard most employees try to transfer to other London stores if they can. I also think they are the least consistent in terms of service, it can be awful but I have bought things there that couldn't be found elsewhere (like my Zenobie 90).

That does make sense - I think I was fortunate in my first experience there which was quite late in the evening in January and pretty quiet. The SA I met then was super friendly, knowledgable and happy to show me some goodies and talk about new upcoming leathers.

Ultimately, I decided to keep my focus and business solely at NBS because of the issue I mentioned above and for the fact they don't currently offer RTW and that I like a more serene shopping experience. But you're right, stock is super!

I love Harrods and pretty much buy everything from Harrods if I can. It's always been a tourist "trap" and they have amazing stock on everything and anything! Yes SAs can be rushing but too many mega rich people shop there dropping serious money so SAs don't fussy about anyone and everyone. I personally find most SAs I have dealt with pleasant enough. And they have amazing fine jewellery selection in H.
The people who work there are very nice, it's the hordes of visitors I cannot deal with. It's just too busy, and that kills it for me. We used to get food deliveries for Christmas and special events, back in the days when harrods was a shop shop and less of a tourist attraction. I prefer something a little more zen for general shopping Bon Marche in Paris for instance...for Hermes NBS or even the new selfridges concession.

Reactions: needlv
The people who work there are very nice, it's the hordes of visitors I cannot deal with. It's just too busy, and that kills it for me. We used to get food deliveries for Christmas and special events, back in the days when harrods was a shop shop and less of a tourist attraction. I prefer something a little more zen for general shopping Bon Marche in Paris for instance...for Hermes NBS or even the new selfridges concession.
It's the visitors who are keeping Harrods going as strong as is.
I never liked Selfridges in general. To me, it's the same "tourist trap" as Harrods with below par customer service. In terms of H, NBS boutique has good SAs but it has just as many tourists as any other major stores.

I never liked Selfridges in general. To me, it's the same "tourist trap" as Harrods with below par customer service. In terms of H, NBS boutique has good SAs but it has just as many tourists as any other major stores.
I don't know about the h concession in particular, which is busy, but I was under the impression that Harrods was loosing money, people visit but don't buy.

Reactions: scarf1
I don't know about the h concession in particular, which is busy, but I was under the impression that Harrods was loosing money, people visit but don't buy.
Not sure where you got that information but according to the accounts they filed with company house, in 2017 financial year, their net operating profit was £192.5m, up from £128.7m from 2016. I'd say that was a healthy growth.

This doesn’t surprise me. As a London tourist, I found Harrods a bit overwhelming and confusing. The last few times, I couldn’t wait to get out of there.

I have found pleasant SAs in the scarves area at NBS. I have usually visited on a week day morning, and it has not been crowded.

agree re selfridges and sub par service.

Not sure which department you visit in Harrods but I see people buying in almost all departments, ready to wear, shoes, jewellery, furniture, homeware...The only department I don't go to is the kids department.

Harrods is owned by Qatar, and I do not doubt their financial savvy for one moment. They definitely will not back a loss making venture.

Not sure where you got that information but according to the accounts they filed with company house, in 2017 financial year, their net operating profit was £192.5m, up from £128.7m from 2016. I'd say that was a healthy growth.
Yes you are quite right. Now I remember I read they restructured and eliminated all the unprofitable parts. Like the very excellent grocery shop, now mostly restaurants. They created more space for the mega expensive 'superbrands' and extended the tourist /souvenir section. I was so sorry the pet shop is also gone and all the little pet accessories are now harrods branded. So yes, it would make sense giving more space to h for RTW, still it doesn't do it for me, there is no soul to Harrods any more, it's just a very expensive shop.

If you're talking Selfridges in general the ITA, waste of time (apart from Georg Jensen) however in the newly located H, I have received such exemplary service from at least 4 SAs that it's been a revelation. One SA went to such lengths to get the last pair of rg earrings seemingly in the World and our little group for the tPF meet were treated like an honoured H delegation.

My only advice to others is to make sure all purchases are added to your history (if it's important) as they tend to forget (no regular, designated money transaction SA)

If you're talking Selfridges in general the ITA, waste of time (apart from Georg Jensen) however in the newly located H, I have received such exemplary service from at least 4 SAs that it's been a revelation. One SA went to such lengths to get the last pair of rg earrings seemingly in the World and our little group for the tPF meet were treated like an honoured H delegation.

My only advice to others is to make sure all purchases are added to your history (if it's important) as they tend to forget (no regular, designated money transaction SA)
I LOVE Selfridges! They may not have the best stock but I have loads of fun every time I go there. :heart:

Yes Selfridges in general. I have always had stellar service from Selfridges Hermes concession.

Yes you are quite right. Now I remember I read they restructured and eliminated all the unprofitable parts. Like the very excellent grocery shop, now mostly restaurants. They created more space for the mega expensive 'superbrands' and extended the tourist /souvenir section. I was so sorry the pet shop is also gone and all the little pet accessories are now harrods branded. So yes, it would make sense giving more space to h for RTW, still it doesn't do it for me, there is no soul to Harrods any more, it's just a very expensive shop.
To be fair to Harrods, they are a business run by very business savvy people. They are not a charitable organisation or a church. So that's what they are there to do, to make money and a lot of it is made from tourists. The whole of UK relies on tourists spending also so it's not as if they are doing something out of the ordinary.

Here is a suggestion, if you really find shop floor overwhelming, perhaps you could try to use their personal shopper service? Harrods do have amazing stock it would be a shame to miss out.

I trevieved excellent service from H in Harrods, Selfridges and NBS. I agree it was crowded at Harrods H but it was a Friday afternoon. The store is smaller than my home store which in no way is a large store. Harrods had lovely inventory to look at and more fine jewellery and exotics so I had no problem enjoying browsing while waiting for assistance. I met a lovely SA who took his time in helping us and never made us feel rushed despite the crowds.