Hermes and Life Stages

This thread was needed. Looking back at my life stages I didn't know of Hermes at my teens. At 18 I received my first H scarf from my fiancee - ex-husband-to-become but didn't go into Hermes back then because I didn't fancy myself with Hermes style and thought of it as boring, LOL! I loved Gucci, Prada, Prada, more Prada, D&G, Burberry, LV and so on. My eyes were wide shut. But some 12 years later at my 30 I woke up to be totally in love with Hermes. My eyes opened wide and I SAW Hermes it all its glory :smile:. I wish I grew up to this sooner...I acquired hundred high end designer bags over the years and have them now just sitting it the closet. I don't know how you guys do it, but I won't be able to sell a single bag..I.'m the worst kind for the task: won't sell a glass of water in the desert :sad:
I love and appreciate Hermes now and feel comfortable with myself and quite confident with my sense of fashion. I guess one must grow up somewhat, calm down somewhat to truly understand and appreciate Hermes, not to mention to afford it :smile:

I'm a young professional - and I adore H, but I feel it would be odd to buy a Kelly or Birkin before owning a home. I think I'd feel guilty not saving that $ for the down payment fund - yet I don't have the same feeling about a $1,000 LV bag (probably irrationally!). Just my opinion!

That is a very good attitude to have! Things like downpayments and educations should be first. Hermes is gravy and a treat and should be treated that way. I am in my early 40's. I can't imagine putting that kind of money into a handbag unless I was secure financially.

I've enjoyed everyone's stories. Esp. yours, Angelfish.
I also loved the comparison with "gateway drugs" to "gateway purchases".
I love hearing stories about how people came into the brand. Growing
up working class I was told by my family that I always had "champagne
taste on a beer budget". It was due to the media many moons ago
that I knew about Hermes because of the Birkin.
I cannot begin to tell you how many friends and family would
be giving me grief over me wanting to buy a Hermes bag.
Yes, they are expensive, but they are an investment and
heirloom pieces. Of course, it's no one's business what I purchase.
I cannot begin to tell you how many bags
I've seen in person or in magazines where thanks to
being educated in all thngs Hermes, I can see the lack
of craftsmanship. Like artemisa mentioned in her post
my bag will come one day and I will appreciate it more.
I also learned from this forum many things such as
leathers, colors, and bag styles. Who knew I'd
have preferred the Bolide over the Birkin?
(not that I don't like Birkins, because I do)
It might take me longer than two years to get my first
Hermes bag, but I can wait. I know it'll be worth it. :smile:

:tup::tup:

It will be worth it!

Well, I'm 24 :sweatdrop: and unbtil recently I was an SA at Coach.

I never noticed handbags until I started living with this roommate who was obsessed with LV. I didn't know it at the time but most of her bags were fake (MC Speedy for $450? Riiiiiiiight).

She started my designer-obsession. But until about March of this year, I just had a prada bag-- I was really into clothes a lot more than accessories. Then I found our newly opened Coach boutique and BAM! I was addicted to Coach. I started working there part-time so I'd be able to fund my new bag obsession. I had to quit recently, though; I just can't handle two jobs!

Then, a few months later, I remembered... hey, LV is beautiful... and BAM, here I am, an LV addict. But now that I've got my 3 adorable LV bags and want to accessorize them, I thought... "what about Hermés?" And the more I see... the more I like...

...so here I am, and I know it's going to be addictive. Especially since I have over a dozen Coach scarves (I am a scarf addict). This is going to be very bad for my budget! I graduated College a couple of years ago and have a good steady job and make more than most people do at my age, but I don't make enough in a year to buy more than about 3 H bags-- total. That would eat up a year's salary for me.

So I'm gonna start out with scarves, and dream of a red Croco Birkin a la Carrie on SATC.... *sigh...*

Anyway that's my designer progression story.

That is a very good attitude to have! Things like downpayments and educations should be first. Hermes is gravy and a treat and should be treated that way. I am in my early 40's. I can't imagine putting that kind of money into a handbag unless I was secure financially.

I feel the same way. I have been wanting to get a kelly for a year now, but somehow something always come up, and unfortunately, priorities change. Last fall, I saw my dream kelly but didn't have the nerve to get it. My darling college bound son needed a car so I postpone the kelly.

In April, dh and I went to Paris for my birthday. I figured it would be sweet if I find my kelly there and also it would be a great early 50th bday present . It was not to be. Before we left for our vacation, dh job was a little shaky. Although I saw my dream kelly there and dh wanted to get it, it was me who couldn't do it. I know, I know, I should have just gotten it but it just did not feel right. With ds going away to college and dh job unstable, I had to walk away:crybaby:. Dh tried to talk me into it, but I said no. I did not walk away from the store empty handed though. I did buy a couple of scarves and perfumes.

Well, my ds is off to college, away from home and I truly miss him:crybaby:. And dh? Well, the start up company he was working for filed for bankruptcy, so , so sad:crybaby:. He's been job hunting and things are starting to look good. As for my dream kelly, I guess when the time is right, I will get one. Until then, I will just hang around here and enjoy reading and admiring everyones bag.

Things like downpayments and educations should be first.
Well said, BC. I'm up to my ears in educational debt. No wonder I took a dual major! *lol* ;)

Thanks, ardneish.
It's interesting if we take a look back and see how we see
ourselves instead of how others see us. There are things my friends
don't know about me (and I'm sure vice-versa). I've always
liked quality things, I've just never been able to really afford
my desires.
It reminds me of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

I'll keep on saving and start with little things like perfume
and a scarf. [of course, if a Sugar Daddy wants to come
along and buy me a bag...or if a Bolide should fall off
the back of a truck... ;) *lol*]

Aww...chanelvgirl, you'll get your dream bag someday too!
[[Hugs]]
:heart:

I feel the same way. I have been wanting to get a kelly for a year now, but somehow something always come up, and unfortunately, priorities change. Last fall, I saw my dream kelly but didn't have the nerve to get it. My darling college bound son needed a car so I postpone the kelly.

In April, dh and I went to Paris for my birthday. I figured it would be sweet if I find my kelly there and also it would be a great early 50th bday present . It was not to be. Before we left for our vacation, dh job was a little shaky. Although I saw my dream kelly there and dh wanted to get it, it was me who couldn't do it. I know, I know, I should have just gotten it but it just did not feel right. With ds going away to college and dh job unstable, I had to walk away:crybaby:. Dh tried to talk me into it, but I said no. I did not walk away from the store empty handed though. I did buy a couple of scarves and perfumes.

Well, my ds is off to college, away from home and I truly miss him:crybaby:. And dh? Well, the start up company he was working for filed for bankruptcy, so , so sad:crybaby:. He's been job hunting and things are starting to look good. As for my dream kelly, I guess when the time is right, I will get one. Until then, I will just hang around here and enjoy reading and admiring everyones bag.

This is truly noble and magnanimous of you. At the end of the day, family will always come first. Your DH and DS are so blessed to have someone like you. Your story is inspiring and I have no doubt you will get your dream Kelly very soon.

Chanelvgirl, you are an incredibly great mother and wife! I have a mother just like you, and consider myself very lucky- I am sure your husband and son feel the same. Your bag will come someday, I'm sure! :smile:

Chanelvgirl, your Kelly will be all the more wonderful when it comes because you have waited for the right time in your life. I understand your priorities and I would have done the same thing.

How did Hermes compare, once you acquired them? Did the glow of it fade, or is it truly an addiction that grips you once you own your first one? I'm thinking about purchasing my first--a Kelly

I've loved bags for as long as I could remember. However, growing up in Minnesota, my exposure to brands was limited. It really got rolling with Coach, which evolved to LV, and very recently H.
The journey helped me to find myself--the other brands were always an "almost", but still left me hungry. With H, I am content. I have realized that I love the traditional styles and exquisite craftsmanship. I know that even on my most casual days, I enjoy carrying a beautiful bag. And, I know that I don't care if anyone has any clue what brand it is.
For an age reference, I am 37.