Hermes and Life Stages

hello mrs s. as for me i started my bag addiction about 2 years ago. i started with LV then all the "it" bag. (chloe paddington, fendi spy, balenciagas in various colors). Then eventually i sought chanel. H has always been on my mind but i felt it was too impossible for me:sad:
But our trip to france changed that. I still buy the occasional LV's and chanels but I am trying my best to save for more H in the future. I am 32 by the way.

This has truly been a journey. I come from a working class family, main thing about life was to get bread to the table, so to speak. Well, I was always different, I loved fashion, dreamt of finer things. I’ve always known H and dreamt of having Birkin. If memory serves me right, I was in my teens when Birkin came out so I would have seen it on the magazines that I spent all my pocket money on.​

Then in the early adult years it was a constant struggle to get along, studying, working in s***ty jobs and so on. When in 30’s, I was able to start collecting Mulberry, which is deemed to be quite luxurious brand in my country. Then I had a very short stint on Gucci and Chloe, but never felt them to be ‘me’. Now that I’m near the big 40, my career has found it’s way, I own a beautiful home, there’s enough disposable income and all the basic needs are in order (except for the DH ;) ).
So, somehow I feel it’s time.​

Oh yes...I already have pieces in mind!! I am SUCH a SS person, the A/W never appeals to me as much.

thats so funny, I'm much the opposite there is nothing i love more than coats, blazer and gloves. Ironically i hate being restricted and acctually wearing it all together, i much prefer to look at it. i despite long shirts, my arms need to be free but i love the look of them and put up with the discomfort lol.

to the original poster, i considered H to be be the real 'uber rich' company. I begsn to love it more and more and now i have a few pieces, of course enough is never enough but i am young and most people on this board whom are my age don't have the financial capabilities for the bags they are after (not that i do) I often forget that i am talking to people in various jobs and ages (some decades older) whom can comfortably afford to splurge, one day i hope to have the same ability.

I only had 2 designer bags before my H, and that's LV. When I was young I wasn't into designer, anyway I couldn't afford anything then. I do remember I had a Guess bag in patent red for $39.90 when I was 15. Hot.

Have I arrived now? Nope, but a little indulgence is always good. I have no bling, I don't even have a diamond ring. Just not interested. Rather have bags and scarves all the way. I hope to spend less than 5% our yearly income on such luxuries.

I'll only buy other brands now if H doesn't have the style or materials that I want.

I'm with Grands Fonds - it was Hermes all the way for me. As a youngster ( and, yes, even now) I always had quite a, erm, lumpy body so designer clothes weren't ever going to do anything for me but I took a big interest in haute couture in the early 80s and figured out that really great accessories can get you through many situations and don't ( unless you're into belts) depend on your waist size. As soon as I learned about Hermes I couldn't seriously consider buying anything else because it would automatically be second best. I started with the scarves and then little things like notebooks and CD cases, fabulous 'Quick' sneakers, building up to a bag and now I am waiting for my SO.

I do look at other designers - I have come to like Prada, Dior has been going downhill for a while, YSL bags are nothing special, I like the look and workmanship of Tanner Kroller and Valextra, I understand why people love Balenciaga ( but not Marc Jacobs = yeutch!) etc etc.

I don't think I've 'arrived' - in my head I was always here.

I've been in love with H since always....I think the first time I went into Hermès was when I was on my Honeymoon in Monte Carlo, aged 19!:wtf: That's when I first saw a Kelly up close (Birkins didn't exist then) and I decided I had to have one. I bought my first Hermès bag (a navy blue Box Kelly retourné) when I was 23.....Since then I've had different phases: long periods of non H bags, and periods of only H bags.... So I guess for me it's a bit like swing moods!

Think I must be the odd one out here!
I fell in love with France when very young, and spent all summer school holidays there with my au pair girl’s families. And also worked there in my thirties so
H sort of came along naturally.

I just like its ethos.

i got introduced to hermes by my mother, who truly appreciate a luxury of leather but i also learned to work hard for those luxury items.
during my studies and practice i have been a LV fan, but i passed by every single morning before opening by Hermes and decided to get the first piece from my first real salary.
Since that day i am really proud to use my bags everywhere because i know they have been a great inspiration of me and ,feel i am worth it! '

I got into H when I was barely 18... (still am 18 though) But it's more of a 'i like it, so i'll buy it' kinda mentality. I still use and buy my favourite Prada and Balenciaga, as I personally feel that some of the H bag styles are a little too mature for me, or doesn't suit my lifestyle just as yet.

My H love came at a very early age.

At one point, I just decided it was my time to own a Kelly. I walked right in and told the SAs exactly what I wanted and (lol) walked out with the bag. Back then, they did the same thing and went in their back room to snatch the bag. Oddly enough, that bag was waiting for me. I think God knew the desires of my heart and had it there for me. The money factor was not really the issue...my passion was.

That is where it all began!