Help me set a 3 carat antique Asscher!!!

I think it would be like this, but with smaller traps that are cut at a steeper angle so that the top of the trap is at the same angle as the asscher's clipped corner adjacent to it. Smaller bullets too, would be my preference.
r869_009Ww-1.jpg

Oh my GOODNESS that diamond is amazing. The cut and clarity are to die for!!! I definately would not put any larger sidestones next to it because just the diamond floors me so I would either go with the pave solitaire that you picked or the plain band.

Totally agree! It is SUCH a stunning stand alone diamond I would let it do all the sparkling on it's own!! I think you might actually take away from it by adding little stones. I personally loooove the pave setting but my 2nd choice would be the plain solitaire. There is NOTHING plain about that diamond though! :yahoo::yahoo:

Wow I am surprised by Leon's recommendations. Not straight?! I never would have noticed that...even if it were my own diamond (I WISH!). I still don't know if I really agree with his choices but he IS the expert and he has an amazing reputation. I am sooo interested to see what you choose. Please keep us updated!

Wow I am surprised by Leon's recommendations. Not straight?! I never would have noticed that...even if it were my own diamond (I WISH!). I still don't know if I really agree with his choices but he IS the expert and he has an amazing reputation. I am sooo interested to see what you choose. Please keep us updated!

I don't ACTUALLY think my stone is crooked. It rated VG in symmetry from GIA. So how can it be crooked? It's possible that Leon meant something different but I can't imagine what? It's not perfectly square - has a 1.01 ratio at 8.17 x 8.09mm. Maybe he meant that it's not perfectly square but also not noticeably elongated? So that it will not look exactly right in a solitaire? It sure wouldn't bother me one bit...but again, it's that neurotic attention to detail I'm paying him for!

I will patiently wait for him to send me pics of the side stones laid out per his suggestion and if it's not sheer love, I will insist on one of my other choices. I'm sure he will be happy to make it for me, as they are all his own styles anyway!

I agree with Leon in that side stones in a different color would make your stone look even "warmer." I have a J color diamond and originally had it set on a band with 4 little diamonds flat on the band. When I looked at it in broad daylight, it really looked odd (two toned) and instead of the side diamonds enhancing the look of my stone, it really detracted from it. So, I changed my setting to a cathedral with little stones on the side still, but at an angle so when you look at my ring head on, you just get the glow of the side stones. Can't wait to see the finished product!

I guess I didn't think of it that way. When I set a lower colored stone before (2.64ct J color antique cushion), in a pave setting, it was a halo which made the center stone take on a beautiful candlelight glow (this is the ring below) but I see your point about a solitaire setting with white pave on the shank - the center may look odd and the pave won't compliment it. Makes sense! So while I think my asscher would look amazing in a stark white halo (don't want a halo, though) maybe not a great candidate for pave shank...

IMG_1086.jpg

Wait, I take back the above. I remember now that the jeweler who created that setting used I/J colored OEC melee. Not high colored single cuts, like Leon uses. Because single cut melee are more expensive and harder to source, it's ilkely he can't get them in lower colors.

Oh, and did I say no halos? SLURP. I swear, this is like a sickness, lol!

asscheridea1.jpg

Erica your diamond is AMAZING!!! IMO I think the pave is GORGEOUS with the asher cut! Not only are the lines clean and simple, but it makes the diamond look so classic and elegant!!! But at the end of the day you have to wear it so you must choose what you will be the most thrilled with. Please update us on your decision, also post lots of pis so I can live vicariously through you and your diamond...