Help me set a 3 carat antique Asscher!!!

Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hi all,

I am looking for inspiration for a 3.oo, L, VS2 antique asscher I just purchased. The diamond is to die for - I'm just over the moon in love with it!

It's large, measuring 8.17 x 8.09 (ish) and has lots of presence. I am debating between a 3 stone with small traps, a solitaire with pave shank and basket, or just a plain and simple platinum solitaire with claw prongs, a'la Harry Winston, Leon Mege, etc.

Pics of the diamond:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. And here are examples of the settings I like.

3 stone with traps:

[​IMG]

Pave solitaire:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Plain and classic solitaire:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would love to know how YOU would set this stone!

Thanks!!!

4. Maybe a 4th style - classic HW with baguettes!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Magnificent diamond! IMO, with an Asscher, the simpler the better with a setting. I love just a simple band, or at most the thin eternity-looking band you have shown, with the prongs at each corner. I think a lot of 'stuff' would take away the sheer rare beauty of the Asscher cut. Honestly, I wouldn't even add baguettes. I'm not even sure I like the cargedral setting you show, either. For some reason, I would love just a plain Tiffany-style setting (of course with the prongs set correctly for an Asscher cut), even if the band was the thin pave/eternity, not sure of my terminology- the Leon Mege one). But that's just me.

Sigh, I wish I could afford one:girlsigh:

6. Oh my GOODNESS that diamond is amazing. The cut and clarity are to die for!!! I definately would not put any larger sidestones next to it because just the diamond floors me so I would either go with the pave solitaire that you picked or the plain band. Congrats on such an amazing purchase. I've seen some of your other rings on other threads and I have to say I am quite jealous of your collection. Please post pictures when you get it!!!

7. Thanks! One thing to note, lol, is that my former rings are no longer mine - I typically have to sell a piece in order to finance the next one. But I really feel this asscher is THE ONE, forever and ever! I'm very lucky to have owned all of the old cuts at some point: old mine, old european, antique cushion and now an asscher. All of them had something I loved, but my 2 favorites have to be a well faceted old european and asscher (best of all). The way my brain is wired I'm a real freak about contrast and symmetry, which old miners and cushions have less of.

I'm also a sucker for low colors, K/L/M being my personal sweet spot. They just glow and really jump off the hand. We are warm blooded creatures, after all, so warm colored stones for this mammal!

I totally agree that this diamond really needs simplicity. I was set on something with a pave shank until I popped the diamond into my stone holder this afternoon and saw how amazing it looks in a simple solitaire with skinny shank.

I also think side traps or bagguettes would be fine too, as long as they are small in proportion to the asscher, but perhaps even that will take the eye away from the asscher?

Thanks for the opinions - this really helps me!

8. I definitely think that simple solitaire is the way to go. The stone is straight up amazing and I think anything but a slender shank solitaire would be too busy for such a stone.

PS - I can't stop looking at it!

9. woow, I am blown away by this beauty!!! I like this style:
    [​IMG]

10. ^me too, I like it and the one above it in her pics.

GORGEOUS stone! I also appreciate lower colors :cloud9: The fire is different, beautiful!

11. what a pretty stone!! i love the pave! =) but any setting you pick will be amazing!

12. Oh man, I am going to have to be the lone dissenter here. :P I love, love the one with the traps and the baguettes *if* they are small enough. I think they look amazing in the pics you posted because the center stone is much larger relative to the side stones. Let us know which way you go! :woohoo:

13. i'm in love with the pave! go with that or the HW

14. IMO, the pave brings out the antique look of the stone. Very aristocrat.

15. I am such a sucker for pave so that's my vote. Gorgegous stone!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice