Help filing dispute with bank.. (continued)

I also missed where you asked if I'd had it authenticated (oops!) - I provided PayPal pictures of the bag and pointed out the "fake details" so to speak. I did not have it authenticated on the forum though if that's what you mean. The bag I was sent is not that was initially pictured, but a copy of the real thing if that makes sense, so I did not ask for authentication prior to purchase.

Thanks again!

Sorry, I can't get a screenshot on my laptop for some reason. The information says:

Your item was accepted at 7:15 pm on April 21, 2011 in MERRIFIELD, VA 22081. No further information is available for this item.

I went into the PO in person about a week ago and they looked into the status for me through their system as well, but had no additional details. They gave me the USPS 800 number to call, and the woman I spoke with said that it was likely held up in customs, but she could not trace it beyond this because I guess once it reaches the other country, it is logged under a corresponding tracking number specific to the country's system. She said that the number I have would update once it was delivered.

If you are in D.C., as in Washington D.C. and she is in Virginia.... why would it be held in customs?

^^I think the OP had it shipped in VA, not DC.

ETA: OP,

Where was the item being shipped to? Usually when an item I ship is held up in customs, I can call the 800 number and they will transfer me to an international call rep and from there they can start an investigation to locate the package (you give them your email/phone number and they will contact you once they have further information, usually takes 24-48 hours) or find out what the reason is for the hold up. Sometimes the item is being held for a reason like they want to make sure it was a return or if it was a purchase they want an invoice so they know what custom fees to charge, stuff like that.

When it gets there, I don't see why Paypal wouldn't reopen the case. You would have proof it was returned within the 30 days and you have no control over customs.

This is an interesting read. I just don't get why Paypal orders one buyer to destroy a clearly authentic $10000 Hermes, but destroy a horrible, fake bag! It makes no sense. I want answers!

^ I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand your question ceya

I only mentioned that I wasn't asked to destory the bag as many others have been instructed to do to provide the full background. Had this been their solution, I obviously wouldn't be in this situation now, but since I was told to ship it back, I now have no additional recourse but to wait (and hope that they will allow an appeal if the bag is actually delivered) or file a dispute through my bank.

Has anyone had any experience with filing a dispute with the bank directly? This is my plan of action, but I am not familiar with the process, nor do I know for certain that I can actually do so.
http://forum.purseblog.com/ebay-forum/warning-paypal-just-made-me-lose-20-thousand-681190.html

what I meant is Chase bank was good to stand on seller side !!! I like that !!!
because scammed buyers used "destroyed because it faked" to take advantages and keep the bag without paying for.

If you want to destroy the bag for that reason without return to seller, Paypal will not listen to you any more for that specific word "it faked and destroyed" .

Now, if you want to dispute with the bank as buyer side, very unlikely because which was an authorized charged from you. Along with that, if the seller has all evident to prove the bag is authentic, then you are out of luck !

I also missed where you asked if I'd had it authenticated (oops!) - I provided PayPal pictures of the bag and pointed out the "fake details" so to speak. I did not have it authenticated on the forum though if that's what you mean. The bag I was sent is not that was initially pictured, but a copy of the real thing if that makes sense, so I did not ask for authentication prior to purchase.

Thanks again!

can you tell us who the seller is? may we see pics of the bag that is fake?

I meant, return a fake. Sorry!
^^I think the OP had it shipped in VA, not DC.

ETA: OP,

Where was the item being shipped to? Usually when an item I ship is held up in customs, I can call the 800 number and they will transfer me to an international call rep and from there they can start an investigation to locate the package (you give them your email/phone number and they will contact you once they have further information, usually takes 24-48 hours) or find out what the reason is for the hold up. Sometimes the item is being held for a reason like they want to make sure it was a return or if it was a purchase they want an invoice so they know what custom fees to charge, stuff like that.

When it gets there, I don't see why Paypal wouldn't reopen the case. You would have proof it was returned within the 30 days and you have no control over customs.

This is an interesting read. I just don't get why Paypal orders one buyer to destroy a clearly authentic $10000 Hermes, but destroy a horrible, fake bag! It makes no sense. I want answers!

can you tell us who the seller is? may we see pics of the bag that is fake?

Are you absolutely certain the bag is a fake? Perhaps you can provide a link to the original off-ebay transaction where the original pictures are posted and the pictures you took of the bag you received to give to PayPal. If I am reading correctly, what you are saying is that the pictures posted by the seller were of an authentic bag but the bag you received is a different/fake one. I'm sure the LV gurus on this forum can help confirm or dispute the bag's authenticity once the pictures are provided here.

It was not an eBay seller, so I don't have an ID to provide. But I will upload some pictures as soon as I'm home. I guess I won't say that I'm absolutely certain since I'm not a pro at authenticating, but even the feel of the bag was off. I'm not sure what "evidence" the seller was asked to and/or did provide, so I don't know if proof of authenticity even came into play with the decision. The only thing the rep said was that they had to close the dispute due to the 30 day period.

Pictures to come!

Yes, I would love to see pictures of this bag, please post pics when you can!

ETA: You mentioned using Paypal to pay, but where did you see this bag for sale? What site?

What shipping method did you use? If you did not use Express Mail, assuming the total was $250 or over, you are SOL with PayPal if it was going Internationally. You sent ti to the address PayPal provided right?

Yes, I would love to see pictures of this bag, please post pics when you can!

ETA: You mentioned using Paypal to pay, but where did you see this bag for sale? What site?

Yes. While I understand you don't have an Ebay ID to provide, can you tell us what site? Give us a link?

Also, to take a screen shot of your USPS delivery confirmation, just follow these very easy instructions (it's built into the platform, whether Mac or PC, so there's no need for special software and there's never a problem):

On a Mac:
Press Command + Shift + 3

On a PC:
Press Alt + Prt Scn button (Print Screen button). This takes a shot of your active window, so be sure to select the window first.

Here are more instructions for various operating systems:
http://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Screenshot-in-Microsoft-Windows

Yes, I submitted photos to PayPal and they told me to return the bag and provide the tracking information. I'm not an expert, so looking back I should have taken more action in getting a certified letter or something more official, but I've never had this issue before and it's out of my hands now.

The posting was on Craigslist and the seller was supposedly located in the US. I never expected the actual package to come from China and this of course was a red flag as well.

Here are some pictures...

Attachments

• bag.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 100
  • strap and glue.pdf
    539.7 KB · Views: 67
  • seam and glue.pdf
    249.6 KB · Views: 78
  • tag and zipper.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 82
A few additional details:

The item shipped out of a hub PO in VA to the address PayPal provided me in China, not from DC to VA. I assume this is the address associated with the person's PayPal email (a hotmail address).

Also, I pulled up the dispute history and the claim says "Not As Described" - is this something different than an authenticity claim? Did I not file the right type of claim maybe?

The photos were provided as "Supporting documents" which PayPal accepts via a file or fax.

For some reason, when I try to expand on the history, I cannot see the actual correspondance, but can see the dates/times/types of communication (ex. May 19, 2011 - PayPal: Email sent to buyer or May 20, 2011 - PayPal: Phone call with buyer)

And lastly, under the status is states:
Status
We have completed our investigation of this case. We have denied this claim and a refund will not be issued. The tracking information provided by the seller did not confirm that the item was shipped to you."
- But I'm not the seller, I'm clearly the buyer. And like I said earlier, I was told that the tracking information provided was considered invalid since return delivery has not yet been truly confirmed. Do you think this makes a difference or is it standard text they use?

And lastly, under the status is states:
Status
We have completed our investigation of this case. We have denied this claim and a refund will not be issued. The tracking information provided by the seller did not confirm that the item was shipped to you."
- But I'm not the seller, I'm clearly the buyer.
And like I said earlier, I was told that the tracking information provided was considered invalid since return delivery has not yet been truly confirmed. Do you think this makes a difference or is it standard text they use?

Well, don't worry about this obvious error. It's not just you, it's another bug in the system. I've seen the identical thing happen when I input a tracking number for a return. The status update shows that the seller provided a tracking number when clearly, I as the buyer, input the number.