Has Coach put you in debt??

Paid mine with debit straight out, can't use a CC--- DH and I have shared CC, only one CC on the household. If not for his practice, i'll prob have to work a little hard to get what I want not necessarily I need. he has no access to my debit card so go figure.

With all due respect, what world do you live in?

Have you looked around you recently? We're in the middle of an economic crisis...I've stood behind people at the grocery store who are trying to feed families of 5 for under a $100 a week. Money, like most things, is subjective but I caution you...because your attitude towards this subject is very polarizing.

Totally agree! The fact that today I can afford them does not mean tomorrow will bring the same! Get real! 500.00 is a lot for a hand bag especially when you have 100 of them! The condescension in that previous post by Designer_Love was palatable:tdown:. Count your blessing and don't put others down if they aren't as fortunate as you!

Last edited:
I definitely don't regard a $500 purse as "cheap/inexpensive". I spent more last year on Coach than I have ever spent on purses. I overdid it & bought FP several times because I wanted a particular purse right then, instead of waiting to see if it would go to the outlet.

I do not go into debt for a purse. I usually pay either cash or use debit card. If my balance is lower than I feel comfortable with, I don't buy.

Rule number 1 in my household.. is cash only to buy a purse! And I usually get awesome deals on eBay, outlets, or trade etc. I have bought one FP bag and even that I had 40% off!

I have racked up a bit of debt here and there if there were major deals going on and collections that I loved at the outlet. If I find something I love at a great deal I get it (and sometimes I find 10 things at once that fit the bill) because who knows when I'll find it again. I admit there's more than a few occasions that I've gone completely crazy and walked out with 5 or more of the large shopping bags in one trip, only to go back again later in the week too. But all of the debt was paid off in a month or 2 though. (I could have paid it all right away with my savings but my motto is that account is input only and I will only allow myself to use that money for emergencies/major purchases/vacations etc-never regular shopping) I do bargain hunt and only buy at the outlet, except for my one and only fp purchase of miss inlaid peyton. I'm fortunate that at this point in my life everything is pretty well established and I have a lot of disposable income. I can see where it would have been very different for me if I would have gotten into Coach when I was just starting my career and family. Then my purchasing habits would have had to have been much different.

I think the fact is that a lot of people have gone into debt because for them $99.00 on a purse is expensive and they have liquid-priorities that come first. It's wonderful that, to you, $400 is nothing...but I have to respectfully disagree with your entire post. There are people who couldn't fathom spending $400.00 on purses, but would love the opportunity too.

I totally agree with italia- some people can drop money like its crazy, others cant. I am fortunate enough to be able to buy whenever i want, but not everyone can. even tho we can, i still say..omigosh that was $X amount of money..and DH has to talk me out of returning it.

Totally agree! The fact that today I can afford them does not mean tomorrow will bring the same! Get real! 500.00 is a lot for a hand bag especially when you have 100 of them! The condescension in that previous post by Designer_Love was palatable:tdown:. Count your blessing and don't put others down if they aren't as fortunate as you!

again i agree with you ladies, hubby and I got married young, and at first, we were BROKE! as in we got declined for Ramon noodles broke..no joke. So I have been on both sides of the money line. Luckily we are better off now, but I still have the tiny voice in my head telling me..it could happen again.

now this is totally off the original topic of coach, but we are military, which means a few things, as in job security, housing, paycheck every 2 weeks. But on my most recent trip home to MI, i saw how bad the economy really has gotten, places are closed, family members without jobs, and struggling. Its hard to witness.

So yeah for some they say..oohh 500.00 lets buy 6, and others save their pennies for their bags...it doesn't make one of those people better than the other one.

theres always people on this forum who can drop 7-10 grand on a bag...that I WONT ever do..to me its insane, but to them, its their lifestyle, and choice.

don't insult others for living different than you, its wrong,

* step off soap box*

With all due respect, what world do you live in?

Have you looked around you recently? We're in the middle of an economic crisis...I've stood behind people at the grocery store who are trying to feed families of 5 for under a $100 a week. Money, like most things, is subjective but I caution you...because your attitude towards this subject is very polarizing.

:true: I agree.

Coach hasn't caused me to go into debt (no credit cards, only debt is student loans but that's pretty much the case with everyone now) but I will admit that I have wasted a ton of money on it. I'm glad that I got this out of my system early, i'm still living at home (close to moving out) and I haven't really suffered by spending too much on bags.

However, I don't see how people can buy multiple new bags a month, EVERY month! The last time I bought a Coach bag was in October and i'm enjoying having a small amount. My bags get a ton of love and I don't have to worry about rotating too often.

I think the fact is that a lot of people have gone into debt because for them $99.00 on a purse is expensive and they have liquid-priorities that come first. It's wonderful that, to you, $400 is nothing...but I have to respectfully disagree with your entire post. There are people who couldn't fathom spending $400.00 on purses, but would love the opportunity too.

I completely agree.

I also want to go to this outlet where all the bags are $88-$99 :lol:

I don't buy what I can't afford... and that includes things that seem pricey. I'm happy to say that BH and I work hard, and play hard too.

Same here. I pay cash for ALL my goodies. Only debt I have is my car because who has 30K in the bank. Well some do but not me :P

I believe in moderation everything can be enjoyed more. If you worry about spending because of future job security, purchase what you like and save the tags. Let it hang for a few days and if it makes you happy - keep it, knowing that it's something you really wanted. But if it makes you feel guilty, return it - regardless of it's beauty something that makes you feel bad isn't a good purchase.

I'm a struggling college student and Coach is certainly not within a typical month's salary. But I've been saving so that I'm really happy when I can afford something I really love. Granted, it's just me and my DB, so I have less expenses. But I would never allow myself to become indebted over them.

However, I don't see how people can buy multiple new bags a month, EVERY month! .

I think this is what caused the OP to wonder if people would go into debt for coach. Its true some members buy frequently since they post about their purchases quite often. As for how can they do it? - it could be a) they can afford it b) they may be returning some of the bags later c) they may be selling some of the bags either as new or after using it for a while d) they may be selling their older bags to make room for the new ones.

So, there are several possibilities.