Has Coach put you in debt??

We dont even have credit cards anymore....paid them off 5 years ago and cut them up. We live on cash and use our debit cards. The only debt we have is whats left of our mortgage and student loans. We chose this debt free lifestyle and it is amazing but I do have to be a lot more stringent with my spending than my credit card toting friends....makes me jealous sometimes but I can sleep at night and thats all that matters!

Definitely not.. I pay only by debit card, but was spending way more than I should have, since I don't have a job right now.. After having way too many sleepless nights, I ended up returning a few bags and sleeping peacefully..:smile:

This has been a very good thread and I've really enjoyed reading it. Other debt aside, I acquired Coach debt about a year ago when I first rekindled my Coach interests and discovered tpf; about the same time as CoachAddict! I ended up returning a lot and it took two months to pay off my Coach debt. I have returned way more than I have kept.

I haven't done a tally, but is it the same people doing the reveals frequently? My guess is that it appears that we're all on a Coach frenzy b/c there are a lot of members posting, combined with those of us "returners". Do the purchases increase at pce time, too?

I think this has been a very good thread for those of us who envy all the reveals. It's all an illusion!:ninja:

We have a wonderful support group here and I am honored to be a part of it with all of you intelligent ladies! :yes: I'm glad the OP felt comfortable enough to ask for support from us!

Wow I can't even imagine the interest I'd be paying if I had charged the estimated 15-20K + I have spent on my Fluevog addiction, bags (mostly Coach), shades and jewelry in the last 6 years. I can however imagine how much more awesome my house remodel would have gone if I had channeled those funds in that direction :nuts:

While not opposed to lay away if offered and convenient I don't "charge" anything I really have no real need to buy but "have to have" (see above)

As a SINK I'm sure I have more disposable freedom with my green than many and my savings account is nowhere near what it should be but I learned the abuse your credit cards at your own risk lesson in my 20's and I won't put myself through that again for any pair of shoes or bag. I have more accessories than any one girl could ever rationally justify so if I can't pay cash for it I don't buy it.

I will also admit that I am weak and if I go down that path again for even one bag or stem it could spell disaster so like my age rule when it comes to dating the no charging accessory rule stays in place for my own good. :smile:

I haven't gone into debt with my Coach - that is just ridiculous to me. I know some people do go into debt for silly things - I have my car payment and student loans but I really don't consider that debt as it's a normal thing to have and I pay monthly on each.

I am still a college student and I am surprised to have one of my coworker friends at work tell me she bought a Coach bag for herself for Christmas... it was her FIRST nice bag she bought w/ her own money, and she has grown kids and is in her 50s now. That sort of gave me a wakeup call bc beforehand, all I really cared about was getting this purse and that something else, and then I think to myself, I am only 19. I don't NEED all this! Maybe in the future, if I can find something I like, then sure, but not now! I already have enough bags (just two for me). No offense, but I definitely judge when I see girls my age wear high-end designer bags like Louis, etc. Unless it's a Christmas or birthday present, I just don't see how you can buy your teenage daughter that for any random occasion. I tell myself to buy bags only IF I need it and I will not spend over $200 for ANY kind of bag, ever. That is simply my budget and how much I can afford, working at the Gap for $7.50 an hour does not bring you any money at all. Plus, I'm not even a huge handbag person... I do love clothes though, haha. My mom has taught me the hard way.. I pay for pretty much everything but utilities and insurance. My mom brings in $400 a week bc she nannies so we live a very simple and humble lifestyle. My dad does not live w us anymore, but when he did, we would probably spend a bit more on trips, shopping, etc. Money is important for the basics but honestly, I am so lucky to be alive here and I am going to SCHOOL (we don't take out ANY loans) and I have a few close good friends and a wonderful boyfriend. I have heard so many horror stories of people not doing well financially (losing their house, car, etc) or can't even afford money to go to school! that it scares me to death! Honestly, screw purses (for the MOST part, haha), but family and friends, a good education, and love is really what is important for me!! :smile:

Never...I would never let a bag put me in debt..I only use cash..I have not spent a dime on another bag since buying my Poppy patent leather spotlight in Feb 2010...I have had No Urge..I guess you know when you've found that 1 bag that suits all your needs....So Thank God, I don't go into debt, because Coach is very worthy...:P

Last edited:
I haven't done a tally, but is it the same people doing the reveals frequently? My guess is that it appears that we're all on a Coach frenzy b/c there are a lot of members posting, combined with those of us "returners". Do the purchases increase at pce time, too?

I think this has been a very good thread for those of us who envy all the reveals. It's all an illusion!:ninja:

Excellent analysis Renee.. I joined TPF a few months back and was taken aback by all the reveals and new bags being posted.. Seeing that people bought bags so frequently, I kind of tricked myself into believing that it was Ok for me to do that too.. So I kinda went crazy and purchased more than I should have.. It was after I saw my bank statement , was it that I came back to reality and I ended up returning a few bags...I am not a collector, I just buy Coach to use and figured that I probably wouldn't end up using all the stuff anyhow..
On the other hand, I live vicariously through all you lovely ladies here who do have the means to buy Coach more often than I do ..I really enjoy spending time on this forum and reading your posts...something I look forward to at the end of every day...