Handbag Deal breakers Thread

My only criteria is that it MUST be a shoulder bag. I won't buy it if it will only work on my arm. Also, I have to really love it if I buy a bag without an outside pocket, the pockets are just so handy for ringing cell phones!!

Reactions: Sparkletastic
Oh yes! ITA sweetdreams. Mine must be a shoulder bag too! And I thought of a few more.

-No tiny bags. I have a lot of stuff. For awhile I bought small bags when they were exceptionally gorgeous, but they just never get taken out of the closet.
-Ditto with clutch bags. I just can't carry them around, I'm too antsy.
-Must have at least two pockets (either inside as zip pockets or on the outside of the bag; I like to organize my things that way)
-Must look expensive if they ARE expensive. If they are cheap, they can look cheap. :smile: But I have a major pet peeve for pricey handbags that cut corners on little luxurious details and end up looking cheap. If I am going to spend a lot of money on something I want it to be beautiful. I will stop buying a brand if I feel like it is cutting corners on this stuff but raising its prices.

This is a fun thread! I'm really not as demanding in life as I am about my bags. I swear. :smile:

Oh yes! ITA sweetdreams. Mine must be a shoulder bag too! And I thought of a few more.

-No tiny bags. I have a lot of stuff. For awhile I bought small bags when they were exceptionally gorgeous, but they just never get taken out of the closet.
-Ditto with clutch bags. I just can't carry them around, I'm too antsy.
-Must have at least two pockets (either inside as zip pockets or on the outside of the bag; I like to organize my things that way)
-Must look expensive if they ARE expensive. If they are cheap, they can look cheap. :smile: But I have a major pet peeve for pricey handbags that cut corners on little luxurious details and end up looking cheap. If I am going to spend a lot of money on something I want it to be beautiful. I will stop buying a brand if I feel like it is cutting corners on this stuff but raising its prices.

This is a fun thread! I'm really not as demanding in life as I am about my bags. I swear. :smile:

Totally agree regarding the pockets. I like to organize my stuff that way too! :smile: And definitely should look expensive if they are expensive :yes:

The straps must be long enough for me to put it over my shoulder. I find hand carried bags to be cumbersome.

I NEED a zip top closure on all of my bags. The one exception is a gorgeous red tote that I found for $17 that I use for my school books. Its kind of hard for them to steal a book without me noticiing. Also there is a zip comparment where I can put my things.

I need the bag sit up somehow when I put it down, meaning when I set it down on the ground, it doesn't roll over and spill its contents etc.

Weight has become an issue for me since I have developed tendonitis in my shoulders. If there is a little weight from some good quality leather I don't mind, but I can't stand bags with massive amounts of heavy tacky hardware on them. It weighs a ton and is UGLY!

For me it's:
1. Shiny bright loud gold hardware, and lots of it! I like brushed gold, bronze, or shiny/ brushed silver
2. Weight. I had a few Marc Jacobs bags that I ended up getting rid of simply because of the sheer weight of them, even empty! I love the look and he makes a drop-dead GORGEOUS bag, but it's not worth the discomfort for me.
3. Anything I can't easily and comfortable wear over the shoulder.
4. Anything with straps that easily slip off the shoulder and therefore the bag falls down to the crook of your arm.
5. Too many compartments! If there are too many compartment choices, I forget which compartment I have things in; give me a bag with ONE main compartment to fish around in. I am NOT that organized! (ask my husband, he'll agree!)
6. Real and soft leather; not a fan of shiny patent leather, or anything pleather.

Anyway, this is a fun thread reading all the "bag no's"
:yes:

Cheap leather especially if they have the tag saying trim made of man made materials :yucky: I've stopped buying cheap leather bags quite awhile ago. Sometimes I buy the cheap clothes ones that are colorful and cute but that's it. I can't stand fake leather anymore now that I've had a taste of real leather. Fake leather feels off to me.

Also I go for quality not logos. Paying a thousand for a monogrammed bag made of plastic is over the top, especially now that I've had a taste of my foolishness. There really isn't anything worth paying more for on monogrammed bags and I think the quality is kinda ehh to be paying 600 bucks for some thin plastic and a little vachetta. I'd rather buy a luscious soft bag for that price. I wear nice leather bags and cheaper leather bags like tano in bad weater. Even when I catch my nicer bags in bad weather, it never has gotten water spots, probably since I spray protect.

Cheap hardware that throws off an otherwise nice bag.

Also need at least one pocket inside the bag.

Accckkk!
How can I forget!?? My BIGGEST bag pet-peeve....
Add this to my above post:
7. MONOGRAM PRINT ON BAGS!!!!! Anything with a repeating mongram is very unappealing to me. That is just not my favorite thing at all!

Hm... I am not so sure what my deal breakers are anymore! I used to hate bags that had gold hardware... now I love either.. I used to only use shoulder bags... now I can tolerate a hand carry bag... it's actually better on my back!... and third, no inside organization, or little organization... pursekets can fix that!

Hmm, I have a long list of "ideal" features, but absolute dealbreakers for me are:

• heavy. I carry a lot of stuff in my bag, so the bag itself can't be heavy.
  • lots of hardware. It adds to the weight too much, and I don't care for the look anyway.
  • patent. I can't think of a time that I preferred patent over normal smooth leather.
  • obvious monograms/logos. Just not my style.
  • oversized. I'm petite, so I don't like any handbag to exceed ~14". I've only broken this rule once, and it was b/c the leather was so soft that it didn't look as large as it was.

Ooh, I have a lot. In no particular order:

• monogram fabric
  • any obvious logo
  • bright patterned lining
  • chain handles or strap
  • cheap-feeling leather
  • cheap-looking hardware
  • too much hardware
  • heaviness (usually caused by too much hardware)
  • contrast stitching (and any top-stitching must be flawless)
  • flap-top bags with the handle attached to the flap - e.g. Kelly-style - they can't be carried unless they are securely closed and life is too short
  • patchwork - especially of exotic leather, and most especially with zig-zag top stitching joining the pieces
  • really exaggerated east-west shape
OTOH I'm flexible in terms of open/closed top, zip or snap, absence of pockets, colour of hardware (gold preferred, but I have several bags w/ silver that I love). If I'm in love with my bag, I don't really care if I can't find my phone.

I love this thread...great idea! My deal breakers are:

1. handles that don't fit over the shoulder, I like having hands free (I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who feels this way).

2. monogram

3. bags that are not made of leather, but cost a ridiculous amount of money

4. shoulder straps that are chains and don't have a piece of leather where it would hang off my shoulder (otherwise the chain cuts into my shoulder...does this make any sense?)

5. small bags...I carry too much stuff around to have a small bag :sad:

1. got to go over shoulder-- or wrist if it's evening

2. no clutches-- I lose them

3. No thin straps on a big bag-- so painful

4. No suede-- not durable enough

4. Reaches no lower than my waist, no banging on my hipbone

oo another one. the purse has to fully close on the top or at least have a large compartment that zips up all the way. i dont like having just a snap or having it open at the top. i dont want people to be able to stare into the content of my purse or easily swipe something.

This is my friend's deal breaker. Mine are probably patent (I am SO GLAD I'm not the only person show hates patent), tiny bags, complex annoying closures (thanks, PP), and clutches.