H leathers getting thinner?

baileylab

O.G.
Apr 20, 2008
I've noticed the newer bags have thinner leathers. which make them lighter (thank goodness). i just bought a so K 26 in i think clemence and the leather is thinner and softer.

i also noticed it on the newer bags (O and later) when i feel the bags at the store lately.

any thoughts?

thanks!

Yes i personally don't live thus effect but I believe it's not a new thing but an eventual thing depending on how the leathers come in from the tannery.but again I prefer richer more sturdy leathers.

I just got my first Togo Birkin and I was warned that a 35 could be heavy after carrying it a while... I find it exremely light. Maybe due to this thinner leather question????

H has to be able to obtain a certain quantity of leathers/skins to keep up with current production demands. An unintended consequence of such is that the leathers and skins used a decade or so ago far exceed the quality of current leathers and skins.

How sad, as they struggle to keep up with demand (and posting fabulous annual and quarterly earnings), the quality of leathers may have to suffer.

on the bright side, it does mean the bag is now lighter to carry.

so it is true! whatever their reason, i hope the leathers even if thinner are still quite sturdy. i have balenciagas which have thin leather and older than my Hs and they're still fine.

With the new, thinner leather i'm looking forward to an sb2 in the future (if i can find it) and it won't feel like i'm carrying a log.

at least they're paying attention.

Not a fan of this development. Not at all. Boxcalf now is not the box of the past. It is easy to see that the quality has suffered in recent years.