guy with face tattoo's accusing me of sending him an empty box

Those questions really aren't relevant. The hat was $500 (don c custom hat - worn by kayne, jayz, etc.). Shipped priority mail - signed for.

Buyer: bro yesterday i picked up a box from the post office.please text me {his number here}
Me: what
Buyer:
I bought the don c from u That box was empty

Buyer opened a case and said:
"packing arrived missing its continence " (he doesn't know how to spell contents)
Me: pretty much told him i shipped the hat, he is lying, my feedback speaks for itself, etc.
Buyer: i have to wait until Monday to get my copy of the police report.which i will be faxing this information and will upload picture of the box as per sellers request.

It is possible someone from the postal service could of stolen the hat and re-taped it, but I highly doubt this. Tapering with US mail is a felony, so very few would even try it. Also, box had no insurance, so there wasn't any indication that there was a $500 item inside the box. Also the don c hat's look like regular $25 baseball caps, so unless you knew what don c was (which VERY few people do), most people wouldn't know it was a $500 hat even if you saw it.

Back to my two questions:
(1) how does the police report work?
i contacted two post offices next to his house, both made it very clear they would never provide a police report for something like that. HOWEVER, two years ago when I bought a pair of jeans and received a empty package, I was asked to obtain a police report and I was able to do so. And the buyer stated he is getting one. How do they verify? Is it just a hey this guy said the box was empty and they hand out a police report, or do they actually look at it? When I filed my claim for the jeans two years ago, they took my package and said it will go into evidence and he needed 3 days to get a report...what are they doing?
(2) what can i do help better my chances?

Those questions really aren't relevant. The hat was $500 (don c custom hat - worn by kayne, jayz, etc.). Shipped priority mail - signed for.

Buyer: bro yesterday i picked up a box from the post office.please text me {his number here}
Buyer:

"packing arrived missing its continence " (he doesn't know how to spell contents)
Me: pretty much told him i shipped the hat, he is lying, my feedback speaks for itself, etc.
Buyer: i have to wait until Monday to get my copy of the police report.which i will be faxing this information and will upload picture of the box as per sellers request.

It is possible someone from the postal service could of stolen the hat and re-taped it, but I highly doubt this. Tapering with US mail is a felony, so very few would even try it. Also, box had no insurance, so there wasn't any indication that there was a $500 item inside the box. Also the don c hat's look like regular $25 baseball caps, so unless you knew what don c was (which VERY few people do), most people wouldn't know it was a $500 hat even if you saw it.

i contacted two post offices next to his house, both made it very clear they would never provide a police report for something like that. HOWEVER, two years ago when I bought a pair of jeans and received a empty package, I was asked to obtain a police report and I was able to do so. And the buyer stated he is getting one. How do they verify? Is it just a hey this guy said the box was empty and they hand out a police report, or do they actually look at it? When I filed my claim for the jeans two years ago, they took my package and said it will go into evidence and he needed 3 days to get a report...what are they doing?

Why do you assume the police report would work any differently than when you did it?

Can you post the buyer's eBay ID?

Buyer:

since he signed for it I think you are in a better position......

I am NOT positive that this happens in every case... but I think that
USPS would mark the box if they had noticed that it had been tampered with....

did he send you photos of the box, and did it look like it had been tampered with????

You can contact the Postmaster General and file a riffling report/ claim.......

I wonder at what points in the travel of this package did they weigh it???

If they weighed it when it was first taken in, and if they weighed it before
it was delivered???

--------------
and yes, I have a bad habit of using many ?????? It means NOTHING..... :smile:

It has nothing to do with what I am saying or whom I am replying or what I am replying to..... I also use CAPITAL letters to emphasize certain words..... :P

Did you contact 2 Post offices????
or did you contact two Police Stations???

I ask because Yes, if you get a decent detective who is not really busy and
they have time, I would not doubt that they would take a police report, it is after all theft.....

If it was the Post Office, who did you speak to at the Post Office??
and what did they suggest be done in an instance of a package arriving empty????

also... ONLY communicate using ebay messages..... no texting using cell phones
or email.....

Personally, I do find it ODD that he wanted you to text him, rather than
just sending you a message via ebay messages....
That does seem rather suspect in my opinion.....

As someone with multiple tattoos, I find that that piece of information was highly irrelevant. Who cares what he looks like. I understand the mug shots and his criminal history, but not all people with tattoos are out to get you.

Jeez, so stereotypical...smh.

I think LVlvoe_bug was referring to the countless question marks in JustAgUrL's post rather than the questions as such. They maybe make her post come across as somewhat aggressive.

OP, if your buyer says that he filed a police report I would suggest you do the same and file your own. The box may even have been tempered with before your buyer received it.

Oh if that's the case, my mistake. And then also, no, probably excessive punctuation won't help us get to the bottom of anything, lol :lol:

Ops, that was not me who made the post about all the questions/punctuation....:smile:
I think the OP was saying the buyer bought a hat and she mailed it but the buyer is claiming there was nothing in the box.

Did you contact 2 Post offices????

or did you contact two Police Stations???

I ask because Yes, if you get a decent detective who is not really busy and

they have time, I would not doubt that they would take a police report, it is after all theft.....

If it was the Post Office, who did you speak to at the Post Office??

and what did they suggest be done in an instance of a package arriving empty????

Would you stop with the excessive punctuation please. It's unnecessary and coming across very poorly and not helping anything. Questions only need one question mark. Putting 4 or 5 at the end of each sentence is not only silly, but excessive and appears very aggressive. For the sake of all of us trying to follow this thread, one question mark is sufficient. It doesn't make the question appear stronger or more important to put the question mark 4 or 5 times at the end of the sentence. It just looks odd and irritating, especially when it continues after people have brought it up.

Buyer:

He may be a total scammer but it was premature to call him a liar at this point.

In order to better your chances you need to sort out what you know, fill in the blanks on what you don't know and build a case based on as much relevant factual information as you can collect. Your chances of winning a case with ebay are greater if you remain calm and factual when presenting your case. It will also be helpful if you keep your communications with the buyer cordial, relevant and non accusatory - a tone of "lets work cooperatively on this to figure out what happened". Again you don't know for sure that he is a scammer and assuming so because of his appearance etc doesn't help your side. And if he is the scammer and you have been polite and factual he might inadvertently say something that blows his ruse.

You know that the hat was in the box when you shipped it, that the delivery was signed for and that the package wasn't insured.

You don't know if there was any evidence of tampering with the box or if he actually filed a police report so you need to get this information from him. If you ask nicely and he refuses or gives you the runaround, this also doesn't look good on him.

And again, a solid ebay reputation will be your ally on this. Good luck.

Last edited: