guy with face tattoo's accusing me of sending him an empty box

OP, I think you're going to be in for an uphill battle. It's good that the item was signed for, but it should have been fully insured for the price that your buyer paid. He probably knows that and may be exploiting that fact.

Ebay won't consider my good feedback or his past history in the case. They just told me they will request a police report and if he gets one, than he will get a refund. And I said, it's very easy to take a hat out of a box and say you got a empty box, than ebay said well if he is lying in a police report he can be in trouble, but we don't deal with that. I guess ebay just assumes if someone gets a police report than they are being honest.
Based on the phone convo with that ebay worker's, it doesn't seem there is any way I can protect myself. Hint this post - is there a way?

I did ask him for pics and here is what he sent me.

There is one thing that's odd. There is tape all around the box. I didn't mail it like that. That label is mines. It's regular paper (not sticky label). Looks like someone took off my label, than wrapped layers upon layers of tape on the box, than put my label (or it could be my label in a new sticky sleeve) on top of the taping. And I am not sure why someone would waste a whole roll of tape to literally "mummify" the box.

I've received packages that were opened (one was opened and searched by customs, the other looks like the box ripped), both times the post office attached a note stated the box was opened. So, I don't think the post office taped the box like that. My guess is the buyer might have done it just to add weight to the box.

He did pick up from the post office, I can try calling the post office to ask if they remember handing him a box wrapped in priority mail tape (they have camera's in the place too - not sure if they would review the footage). If they did hand him a box with all that tape, than someone at the post office tapped the box (and quite possibly tapered with it and took the hat out).

xol3si.jpg

315zry0.jpg

2ziwi00.jpg

2ueqydl.jpg

Send him a message and tell him that the box that you sent the hat in wasn't taped in that way, that you've spoken with USPS, and that someone at his local post office is going to be reviewing the footage on Monday to see what might have happened, and that the post office will be investigating the possibility of mail fraud. Tell him that since mail fraud is a felony, someone from USPS may need to contact him to get further information.

See what he says.

If he sticks to his story, you may just be out the money if the package wasn't insured (either through USPS or another insurer).

If you look at the first pic, i'll post a zoomed in version below, you can see brown residue on the clear white label. You can tell the paper label and the clear envelope the paper was put in, was removed from the box and reattached on top of the white priority tape.

Find it HIGHLY unlikely the post office would peel off a label, tape layers upon layers of every inch of the box, than reattach the same label on top of the tape.

11iiw45.png

That's why IrisCole suggests sending the message she offered. Often when you mention "fraud," "felony," "mail tampering," "investigation," if it's a scammer, they back off.

There is little doubt in my mind that your buyer is the scammer. I like Iris' idea. Also, is there not a bit of insurance included with Priority? You could add that USPS is going to want to investigate because of both mail and insurance fraud.

If he does file a police report, I would go back to ebay and fight hard. You did everything you were supposed to do for seller protection. Neither ebay nor Paypal require you get insurance to be protected against a claim. If they are going to let these "empty boxers" win just because they file a police report, they need to change their policies. And I still say a good ebay reputation is going to help you here.

Send him a message and tell him that the box that you sent the hat in wasn't taped in that way, that you've spoken with USPS, and that someone at his local post office is going to be reviewing the footage on Monday to see what might have happened, and that the post office will be investigating the possibility of mail fraud. Tell him that since mail fraud is a felony, someone from USPS may need to contact him to get further information.

See what he says.

If he sticks to his story, you may just be out the money if the package wasn't insured (either through USPS or another insurer).

^^This.

think i am screwed now... I called ebay and they asked the buyer for either a police report (which they would really investigate) or a letter from the post office stating they didn't mess with the package.

And if the post office says they didn't mess with the package than I am out of luck. Which, I am sure the post office will say. Because if they did find any damages (hole on box, etc.), they would note it and attach an envelope with the damage.

I think I need to jump on it Monday and beat the buyer to it.
I think the only thing going for me if he get's a document from the post office is the tape around the box. I am going to try to get them to pull video evidences from video cameras (although they usually don't pull these unless it's criminal or someone brings a gun and robs the post office, etc.). Should be easy to see if the man was carrying a brown box or white box.

I called ebay and they agreed it looks like the label was pealed off and re-attached, but they said they don't know if I mailed it like that or buyer received like that. And a letter from post office saying they didn't tape it...ebay would just side with buyer and say I must of (which i didn't).

Hopefully he did file a police report as he said...because i think police would take a closer look at it and see the label was removed and re-attached and see 15 oz label but box weighs a lot less, etc. and just say too many red flags to give him a police report.

Bottom line: you cannot prove that your buyer removed the hat and retaped the package.

And they complied with everything asked of them - sending you pictures, filing a police report. Doesn't sound like they are trying to rush you into a refund, they sound like they are doing the right steps.

Unless you insured this package and can file with the postal service for reimbursement of the missing item, your buyer will probably win the claim.

Let's say he did NOT take the hat out of the box and someone else tampered with that box -- is it fair for the buyer to take the loss?

insurance is useless. it only covers:
(a) item lost - tracking number has to show "arrived at so and so facility" and that is the last update on the tracking number. than they will search the facility and if they can't find it, than they will refund. (b) if someone from the post office steals item out of box - impossible to prove. even if seller said he put item in box and buyer said empty box, they would just say either seller or buyer is lying. so if he does get a police report saying he got an empty box, I can't file a claim w/ post office for insurance (even if i got it) because post office would say, no, you mailed an empty box. (c) damaged - box has to show signs of damage (this box doesn't), and usually these are notated by the post office before delivery. ex. side of box ripped and something could of fallen out. or something struck the box and put a hole in it and damaged something, etc. if box doesn't show damage and the item is damaged, than post office denies the claim and will say you didn't pack properly.

post office could of took the hat and re-taped but as i stated before tampering with US mail is a felony. Prison time, $250k fine, etc. Pretty much if you wanted to steal this hat and worked at the post office, you wouldn't steal it from the mail. Same thing with if you wanted to rob someone, you wouldn't rob a cop. Judges are NOT nice when people shoot cops (seen as good guys helping ppl, etc.) and you will get a bigger sentence if you shoot a cop. And again, no insurance = so noone knew it was a $500 hat. Maybe 1 out of 100,000 actually know don c hats and know it's worth $500, etc. Trust me, this outcome is already dismissed.

I really hope he attempts to get a police report, because they will take a deep look at it. Find it odd that that every inch of this box is taped and layers of it. Find the label peeled off and re-attached. Find 15 oz on the shipping weight. They will even consider small things like how the bottom of the box is cut and not the top. Usually with boxes with top or bottom openings, most people cut the top because they assume it's facing up.